Subject: Re: [Dots] Draft Charter

From: Dave Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:40:10 +0000

This is excellent Nik.

It is critical that we stay focused on something that can show benefit as
early as possible and I think this charter effectively ensures that.

Best,

Dave

On 4/21/15, 9:24 AM, "Teague, Nik" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Please see a 1st pass draft charter below - comments and feedback always
>welcome.
>
>-Nik
>
>
>The aim of DDoS Open Threat Signaling (DOTS) is to develop a standards
>based approach to the real time signaling of DDoS related telemetry and
>threat handling data between elements concerned with attack mitigation.
>
>The elements may be described as:
>* On-premise DDoS mitigation platforms
>* Service provider DDoS mitigation platforms
>* Other network devices/platforms that are able to sense DDoS and respond
>* Chained instances of the above
>
>These elements may be communicating inter-domain or intra-domain over
>links that may be congested by attack traffic resulting in hostile
>conditions for traditional connection oriented approaches and more
>generalized signaling and telemetry solutions.  Robustness under these
>conditions is paramount while ensuring appropriate regard for
>authentication, authorization, privacy and data integrity.  Elements may
>be deployed as part of a wider strategy incorporating multiple points of
>detection and mitigation, both on premise or service provider based.
>Should mitigation need to move between elements in the chain then
>effective signaling of telemetry and current threat handling is essential.
> Feedback between participating elements is required for increased
>awareness for effective decision making.
>
>The WG will, where appropriate, reuse existing standard protocols and
>mechanisms, for instance IPFIX and its templating mechanism.
>
>The charter of the working group is to produce one or more standards track
>specification to provide for this open signaling in the DDoS problem
>space.  While the resulting standards should be designed so that there¹s a
>possibility of applying them to network security applications beyond DDoS
>mitigation, this working group will focus on just DDoS mitigation.  This
>streamlined focus of the charter is intended to lead to an earlier result
>due to community interests in having such capability in a short timeframe.
> The specification(s) produced by the WG will include a standard mechanism
>for authentication and authorization, for data integrity, and for
>providing for privacy in operation.
>
>The WG will produce the following deliverables:
>
>* Use case document to ensure commonality of the work among the
>participants in the Working Group.  This document may be determined by the
>working group to remain informal and not be published.
>* Document or Documents describing the problem space, use cases, protocol
>requirements and other qualifying information as the WG sees fit.
>* Document or Documents specifying a protocol and associated data models
>to address the WG stated goal.
>
>_______________________________________________
>Dots mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dots