Subject: Re: [Dots] DOTS draft charter - updated in regard to ballot comments

From: "Teague, Nik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 21:46:15 +0000

Summary of updates :)

Stephen's and Ben’s comments re privacy-friendly choices as a default:

OLD:
The specification(s) produced by the WG will include a
standard mechanism for authentication and authorization, data integrity,
and providing for privacy in operation.

NEW:
The specification(s) produced by the WG will include a standard mechanism
for authentication and authorization, data integrity, and providing for
privacy in operation, with privacy-friendly choices being the default in
all cases.

Alvaro’s comment re WG responsibility for any subsequent standardisation
and also Tobias’s update to the proposed verbage:

OLD:
The WG will, where appropriate, reuse or extend existing standard
protocols and mechanisms (for example, IPFIX and its associated templating
and extension mechanisms).

NEW:
The WG will, where appropriate, reuse or extend existing standard
protocols and mechanisms (for example, IPFIX and its associated templating
and extension mechanisms).  Any modification of or extension to existing
protocols must be in close coordination with the working groups
responsible for the protocol being modified, and may be done in this
working group after agreement with all the relevant WGs and responsible
Area Directors.

Barry’s comment re M3AAWG collaboration:

OLD:
The WG may coordinate on a situationally
appropriate basis with other working groups and initiatives which
compliment the DOTS effort e.g. SACM, MILE, SUPA, I2NSF et. Al.

NEW:
The WG may coordinate on a situationally appropriate basis with other
working groups and initiatives which compliment the DOTS effort e.g.
M3AAWG, SACM, MILE, SUPA, I2NSF et. Al.

Thanks,

-Nik

On 10/06/2015 22:25, "Teague, Nik" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>-[Charter for Working Group]-
>
>The aim of DDoS Open Threat Signaling (DOTS) is to develop a standards
>based approach for the realtime signaling of DDoS related telemetry and
>threat handling requests and data between elements concerned with DDoS
>attack detection, classification, traceback and mitigation.
>
>The elements may be described as:
>* On-premise DDoS mitigation platforms
>* Service provider DDoS mitigation platforms
>* Other network elements and services with the ability to analyze and/or
>influence network traffic
>
>Elements may participate in DDoS detection, classification, traceback and
>mitigation individually or within the context of a larger collaborative
>system.
>
>These elements may be communicating inter-domain or intra-domain over
>links that may be congested by attack traffic resulting in hostile
>conditions for connection oriented approaches and more generalized
>signaling and telemetry solutions.  Robustness under these conditions is
>paramount while ensuring appropriate regard for authentication,
>authorization, privacy and data integrity.  Elements may be deployed as
>part of a wider strategy incorporating multiple points of DDoS detection,
>classification, traceback and mitigation, both on premise or service
>provider based.  Should changing conditions necessitate altering the
>specifics of mitigation actions and/or the topological scope of mitigation
>coverage, timely and effective signaling of telemetry and current threat
>status to all elements involved in the mitigation is essential.  Feedback
>between participating elements is required for increased awareness
>supporting effective decision making.
>
>The WG will, where appropriate, reuse or extend existing standard
>protocols and mechanisms (for example, IPFIX and its associated templating
>and extension mechanisms).  Any modification of or extension to existing
>protocols must be in close coordination with the working groups
>responsible for the protocol being modified, and may be done in this
>working group after agreement with all the relevant WGs and responsible
>Area Directors.  The WG may coordinate on a situationally appropriate
>basis with other working groups and initiatives which compliment the DOTS
>effort e.g. M3AAWG, SACM, MILE, SUPA, I2NSF et. al.
>
>The charter of the working group is to produce one or more standards track
>specifications to provide for this open signaling in the DDoS problem
>space.  While the resulting standards should be designed so they apply to
>network security applications beyond the DDoS problem space, this working
>group will focus on signaling and coordination mechanisms directly related
>to DDoS attack detection, classification, traceback and mitigation,
>incorporating the general priniciples articulated in RFC5218
><https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5218>.  Focusing the WG efforts on DDoS is
>intended to meet the community's desire for a deployable solution in the
>near term.  The specification(s) produced by the WG will include a
>standard mechanism for authentication and authorization, data integrity,
>and providing for privacy in operation, with privacy-friendly choices
>being the default in all cases.
>
>The WG will produce the following deliverables and milestones:
>
>* Document or Documents describing the problem space, use cases, protocol
>requirements and other qualifying information as the WG sees fit.
>* Document or Documents specifying protocols and associated data models to
>address the stated goals of the WG.
>
>* Nov-2015: WG document for Requirements/Use Cases (informational)
>* Mar-2016: WG document for Transport (proposed standard)
>* Apr-2016: WG document for Data Model (proposed standard)
>
>* Feb-2016: Requirements/Use Cases draft to IESG
>* May-2016: Transport draft to IESG
>* Jun-2016: Data Model draft to IESG
>
>* Periodically re-examine milestones (3x month intervals)
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Dots mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dots

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 21:44:16 -0400

These changes seem pretty straight forward, so I'm going to go ahead and integrate them in a few minutes.

Thanks for the organized 'updates'!
Kathleen 

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 10, 2015, at 5:46 PM, "Teague, Nik" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Summary of updates :)
>