Subject: [Dots] data channel and pending-lifetime

From: "Jon Shallow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 12:59:01 +0100

Hi there,

To make pending-lifetime work, the Alias / ACL needs to periodically be
refreshed by the DOTS client to make sure the entry does not go stale and
consequently get deleted by the DOTS server.

RESTCONF RFC 8040 4.4.1 Create Resource Mode

   If the data resource already exists, then the POST request MUST fail

   and a "409 Conflict" status-line MUST be returned.  The error-tag

   value "resource-denied" is used in this case.

So, we cannot really use POST to refresh the Alias / ACL unless the 409 is
to be ignored.

RFC 8040 4.5 PUT

   Consistent with [RFC7231], if the PUT request creates a new resource,

   a "201 Created" status-line is returned.  If an existing resource is

   modified, a "204 No Content" status-line is returned.

So, PUT will work.

In draft-ietf-dots-data-channel-15, there are no sections on describing how
Aliases / ACLS are to be refreshed other than

   A DOTS server MUST maintain a [filtering rule|alias] for at least 10080

   minutes (1 week).  If no refresh request is seen from the DOTS

   client, the DOTS server removes expired entries.

I assume that a PUT refresh request must be an exact match for the initial
request (or an echo back of the GET response with some fields stripped out
that are ro).  Correct?

Regards

Jon

---

From: "Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 12:22:02 +0000

From: Dots [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jon Shallow
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 5:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Dots] data channel and pending-lifetime

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

________________________________
Hi there,

To make pending-lifetime work, the Alias / ACL needs to periodically be refreshed by the DOTS client to make sure the entry does not go stale and consequently get deleted by the DOTS server.

So, we cannot really use POST to refresh the Alias / ACL unless the 409 is to be ignored.

RFC 8040 4.5 PUT

So, PUT will work.

In draft-ietf-dots-data-channel-15, there are no sections on describing how Aliases / ACLS are to be refreshed other than

I assume that a PUT refresh request must be an exact match for the initial request (or an echo back of the GET response with some fields stripped out that are ro).  Correct?

[TR] Yes.

-Tiru

Regards

Jon

---

From: "Jon Shallow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:30:45 +0100

Hi Tiru,

Can we then please have some suitable text added (e.g. use PUT, and refresh should be the same as the previous request (It could be different if the client wants to change a parameter, but keep the same name)) so that the next implementer does not have to deduce the information.

Thanks

Jon

  _____  

Hi there,

RFC 8040 4.5 PUT

So, PUT will work.

[TR] Yes.

-Tiru

Regards

Jon

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 12:39:06 +0000

Hi Jon,

Why do you want to restrict the refresh to the exact content of the initial request?

What is important is the name of the alias, sub-clauses may change (e.g., prefix change). We do already have this text in the draft:

   A DOTS client uses the PUT request to modify the aliases in the DOTS
   server.  In particular, a DOTS client MUST update its alias entries
   upon change of the prefix indicated in the 'target-prefix'.

Did I missed something?

Cheers,
Med

De : Dots [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Jon Shallow
Envoyé : mercredi 25 avril 2018 14:31
À : 'Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy'; [email-masked]
Objet : Re: [Dots] data channel and pending-lifetime

Hi Tiru,

Thanks

Jon

To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

RFC 8040 4.5 PUT

So, PUT will work.

[TR] Yes.

-Tiru

Regards

Jon

---

From: "Jon Shallow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:49:54 +0100

Hi Med,

The Alias is pretty straight forward – it is a single object and can easily be updated / replaced or just refreshed by what is in the PUT body.

The ACL is much more complex.  The PUT needs to be done at the ACL level in order for pending-lifetime to get refreshed.  Over time, additional ACEs can get added to the ACL, orders of ACEs changed etc., so I just wanted to make sure that the data in the refresh PUT actually has the ACEs in the correct order etc. so that the refreshed ACL still has the same intended filtering ordering.

Regards

Jon

From: Dots [mailto: [email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: 25 April 2018 13:39
To: Jon Shallow; 'Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Dots] data channel and pending-lifetime

Hi Jon, 

Did I missed something?

Cheers,

Med

Hi Tiru,

Thanks

Jon

  _____  

Hi there,

RFC 8040 4.5 PUT

So, PUT will work.

[TR] Yes.

-Tiru

Regards

Jon

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:01:57 +0000

Re-,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

De : Jon Shallow [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : mercredi 25 avril 2018 14:50
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed IMT/OLN; Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy; [email-masked]
Objet : RE: [Dots] data channel and pending-lifetime

Hi Med,

The Alias is pretty straight forward – it is a single object and can easily be updated / replaced or just refreshed by what is in the PUT body.
[Med] Agree. I don’t think a change is needed to the current text.

[Med] Would it be better if we make this change:

OLD:
   A DOTS server MUST maintain a filtering rule for at least 10080
   minutes (1 week).  If no refresh request is seen from the DOTS
   client, the DOTS server removes expired entries.

NEW:
   A DOTS server MUST maintain a filtering rule for at least 10080
   minutes (1 week).  If no refresh request is seen from the DOTS
   client, the DOTS server removes expired entries. Typically, a refresh
   request is a PUT request which echoes the content a response to a GET

   request (except the pending-lifetime).

Regards

Jon

From: Dots [mailto: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>] On Behalf Of [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Sent: 25 April 2018 13:39
To: Jon Shallow; 'Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy'; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Dots] data channel and pending-lifetime

Hi Jon,

Did I missed something?

Cheers,
Med

De : Dots [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Jon Shallow
Envoyé : mercredi 25 avril 2018 14:31
À : 'Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy'; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Objet : Re: [Dots] data channel and pending-lifetime

Hi Tiru,

Thanks

Jon

RFC 8040 4.5 PUT

So, PUT will work.

[TR] Yes.

-Tiru

Regards

Jon

---

From: "Jon Shallow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 14:13:30 +0100

Hi Med,

See inline [Jon]

Regards

Jon

Hi Med,

[Jon] I think the text could be updated (by adding ‘or refresh’) to

   A DOTS client uses the PUT request to modify or refresh the aliases in the DOTS

 

OLD:

NEW:

[Jon] A GET will return other ro entries – such as statistics (matched-packets etc.), all of which need to get stripped out.  A better version would be

NEW:

   request is a PUT request which echoes the content of a response to a GET

   request with all of the read-only parameters stripped out(e.g. pending-lifetime). 

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon, 

Did I missed something?

Cheers,

Med

Hi Tiru,

Thanks

Jon

  _____  

Hi there,

RFC 8040 4.5 PUT

So, PUT will work.

[TR] Yes.

-Tiru

Regards

Jon

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:16:09 +0000

Re-,

Works for me. Thanks.

Cheers,
Med

De : Jon Shallow [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : mercredi 25 avril 2018 15:14
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed IMT/OLN; Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy; [email-masked]
Objet : RE: [Dots] data channel and pending-lifetime

Hi Med,

See inline [Jon]

Regards

Jon

De : Jon Shallow [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : mercredi 25 avril 2018 14:50
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed IMT/OLN; Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Objet : RE: [Dots] data channel and pending-lifetime

Hi Med,

OLD:

NEW:

NEW:

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

Did I missed something?

Cheers,
Med

Hi Tiru,

Thanks

Jon

RFC 8040 4.5 PUT

So, PUT will work.

[TR] Yes.

-Tiru

Regards

Jon