Subject: [eap] A straw man for EAP BOG writeup

From: [email-masked] (John Vollbrecht)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:07:34 -0500

Here is a first cut at a proposal for an EAP BOF writeup.  I am sure
there are other things to add, and that what is on here may need
clarification.
If we have till Friday there isn't much time.

There are a number of issues with EAP that may need to be cleaned up.
Many
of these issues are created because of the use of EAP with 802.1x in
802.11
wireless LAN authentication.   EAP work currently is being done in the
PPPext working group.  Since many issues are not PPP related, it seems
reasonable to consider having a wg that will deal with EAP specific
issues.

Some possible topics:

1. Clarify meaning of EAP success and failure message
2. Extend Method negotiation
3. Add Mutual authentication and Client initiated authentication
4. Recommended practices for AP/NAS - (rework EAP recommendations in
RADIUS
and extend to other possible protocols)
5. any special requirements for  Diameter, COPS, others
6. role of key creation and cyphersuite negotiation (especially for
802.11
algorithms) and EAP
7. Add state diagram for EAP and interactions with clients

some possible workitems for an EAP group

Clean up EAP 2284bis and publish
Revise RADIUS Ext 2869
Create EAP Recommended practices for Access Devices

Things not to be included in EAP group

Security Review of EAP algorithms  (although it might want to help
figure
out where this would be done)