Subject: [eap] Re: Propsed resolution to Issue 94

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:24:23 -0800 (PST)

On Friday, March 7, 2003, Yoshihiro Ohba wrote:

> Does the lock-step behavior apply to Notification messages?

I think so. That means, for example, that if a Request is sent and
receives an invalid Response or no Response, that the authenticator can't
send a Notification Request with an error message. It could send a Failure
though (see below).

> And I think the lock-step behavior does not apply to EAP Success/Failure
> message.  Is this correct?

Right. If the authenticator sends a Request and it is not answered with a
valid Response, an EAP Failure can be sent.

---

From: [email-masked] (Yoshihiro Ohba)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:06:45 -0500

Then I'd like to suggest the following change from:

"5.2 Notification

   Description

      The Notification Type is optionally used to convey a displayable
      message from the authenticator to the peer. An authenticator MAY
      send a Notification Request to the peer at any time. The peer MUST
      respond to a Notification Request with a Notification Response; a
      Nak Response MUST NOT be sent."

to:

"5.2 Notification

   Description

      The Notification Type is optionally used to convey a displayable
      message from the authenticator to the peer. An authenticator MAY
      send a Notification Request to the peer at any time when there is 
      no outstanding Request. The peer MUST respond to a Notification
      Request with a Notification Response; a Nak Response MUST NOT be
      sent."

Yoshihiro Ohba

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:24:23AM -0800, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> eap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:43:33 -0800 (PST)

Filed as Issue 96.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jari Arkko)
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 09:53:33 +0200

>>      Request with a Notification Response; a Nak Response MUST NOT be

Works for me.

Jari