Subject: [eap] Item to discuss in Dallas (fwd)

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:15:05 -0800 (PST)

This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
  Send mail to [email-masked] for more info.

------_=_NextPart_000_01C2DF69.FD0F6580
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:43:02 -0800
From: "Walker, Jesse" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Item to discuss in Dallas

Hi Everyone,

Attached is a document proposing a new EAP method, called EAP-Archie. This
document is outside the scope of TGi. However, it is worth considering since
we are reviewing what we want the IETF can accomplish for 802.11i. I will
ask for a few  minutes on the TGi agenda for a presentation outlining it in
Dallas.

One motive for the protocol this document defines is that the current
mandatory-to-implement EAP method (MD5 Challenge) is unsuitable for our
environment. One reason for not making an issue of this before is no one had
proposed appropriate substitutes. We believe EAP-Archie changes this.

We believe EAP-Archie is light-weight enough that it can be implemented for
all environments that implement 802.11, and it incorporates all the security
measures 802.11i needs. Thus, it may be worth considering whether to ask the
EAP WG to consider deprecating MD5 Challenge and replacing it with
EAP-Archie or some similar scheme. Other groups (e.g., IPsec) have
successfully deprecated widely deployed algorithms that were found to be no
longer secure, so I don't think asking for such a step is necessarily a
roadblock.

Even if TGi chooses not to make such a request, or if the EAP WG declines to
accept a request, EAP-Archie is still a protocol that I think vendors will
find attractive to for 802.11 authentication in many markets (e.g., SoHo and
consumer).

The deadline for submitting individual contributions for the San Fransisco
IETF meeting was unfortunately three days ago, so this document won't be
posted on Internet-drafts directory until after the IETF meeting. Therefore,
it is attached in case you want to read it before Dallas.

-- Jesse Walker

 <<draft-jwalker-eap-archie-00.ZIP>>

------_=_NextPart_000_01C2DF69.FD0F6580
Content-Type: APPLICATION/X-ZIP-COMPRESSED; NAME="draft-jwalker-eap-archie-00.ZIP"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Description: 
Content-Disposition: ATTACHMENT; FILENAME="draft-jwalker-eap-archie-00.ZIP"

------_=_NextPart_000_01C2DF69.FD0F6580--