Subject: [eap] RFC2284bis-06 draft: Support for sequences

From: "Puthenkulam, Jose P" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 07:07:41 -0800

Hi All,
 
After reading the latest RFC2284bis
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eap-rfc2284bis-06.txt),
the following para does not seem to be clear.
 
See section 2.1 Support for Sequences : para 2 reproduced below:
 
   "Once a peer has sent a Response of the same Type as the initial
   Request, an authenticator MUST NOT send a Request of a different Type
   prior to completion of the final round of a given method (with the
   exception of a Notification-Request) and MUST NOT send a Request for
   an additional method of any Type after completion of the initial
   authentication method; a peer receiving such Requests MUST treat them
   as invalid, and silently discard them. As a result, Identity Requery
   is not supported."

1. In this text "MUST NOT send a Request for  an additional method of
any Type after completion of the initial  authentication method;" 
 
    shouldn't it say "before completion of the initial authentication
method"
 
2. When we say "As a result, Identity Requery is not supported", 
 
   does it imply that two successive Identity requests cannot be issued
by the Authenticator?

Any clarifications will be helpful,
 
best regards,
jose

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:54:59 +0200

Puthenkulam, Jose P wrote:

> Section 2.1 Support for Sequences : para 2 reproduced below:
>  

Hmm... I had to reread the text multiple times and I agree its complicated.
But it does appear to say what was decided: *during* a method you can't send
any other method, except maybe Notification. And *after* the first _auth_ method
you can't send any method at all, period.

>    does it imply that two successive Identity requests cannot be issued 

I think it means that you can't do Id - Method - Id but you can still
do Id - Id - Method. Or am I missing something?

--Jari

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap