Subject: [eap] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-01.txt,.ps,.pdf

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:38:19 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extensible Authentication Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: State Machines for EAP Peer and Authenticator
	Author(s)	: J. Vollbrecht
	Filename	: draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-01.txt,.ps,.pdf
	Pages		: 37
	Date		: 2003-10-27
	
This document describes a set of state machines for EAP Peer, EAP
Standalone Authenticator (non-passthrough), EAP Backend Authenticator
(for use on AAA servers), and EAP Full Authenticator (for both local
and passthrough). This set of state machines shows how EAP can be
implemented to support deployment in either a Peer/AP or Peer/AP/AAA
Server environment. The Peer and Standalone Authenticator machines
are illustrative of how the EAP protocol defined in
[I-D.ietf-eap-rfc2284bis]  may be implemented.  The Backend and Full/
Passthrough Authenticators illustrate how EAP/RADIUS protocol support
defined in [RFC3579] may be implemented. Where there are differences
[I-D.ietf-eap-rfc2284bis]/[RFC3579] are authoritative.
This document describes a state machine based on an EAP 'Switch'
model. This model includes  events and actions for the interaction
between the EAP Switch and EAP methods. The State Machine and
associated model are informative only. Implementations may achieve
the same results using different methods.
A brief description of the EAP 'Switch' model is given in the
Introduction section.
The authors believe this document corresponds to the current state of
revisions to the defining [I-D/ietf-eap-rfc2284bis]/[RFC3579]
documents. The intent is for this document to synchronize with the
defining documents when they are released, and if discrepancies are
found the defining documents are authoritative.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.