Subject: [eap] EAP WG Summary

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:44:15 +0200

The ADs have requested that a summary of the situation of each
WG be posted after each meeting.

The summary should include information about what decisions were
taken in the meeting, what the action items exist, whether the WG
milestones are up-to-date, if there's a need to update the charter,
and so on.

So this is the summary as Bernard and I see it. Please note your
action items, and if you find something missing or wrong, let us
know.

--Jari

EAP WG Summary, IETF-58

EVENTS

  o  EAP Base Specification (2284bis) is in IETF
     Last Call ending on Nov 26 (Note: It has now ended.
     The -07 version of the document, incorporating
     resolutions to all submitted issues, is available
     here, prior to showing up on the IETF archive next week:
     http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/draft-ietf-eap-rfc2284bis-07.txt)

  o  EAP State Machine document in in WG Last Call ending
     on Nov 19. (Note: it has now ended, 8 issues were
     raised: 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, and 203.
     For details, see: http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/eapissues.html
     The issues were substantitive enough that once they
     are resolved and an -02 document is published, we will
     go through EAP WG last call again.)

ONGOING WORK

  o  EAP Keying Framework (draft-ietf-eap-keying-01.txt) is
     being worked on. A number of open issues exist against
     the document.

  o  Several method definitions are being worked on by individual
     contributors. These documents have been held up in queue during
     the 2284bis work. The documents have been briefly discussed in
     EAP WG, but are for the most part intended as Individual
     submissions outside the WG, once the 2284bis IANA rules are
     in effect.

DECISIONS

  o  The EAP WG will look at the network
     selection problem.

  o  Merge the contents of EMSK related issues from
     draft-salowey-eap-key-deriv-02.txt into
     the EAP Keying Framework draft.

  o  ADs support the current 2284bis IANA rules i.e.
     that EAP codepoints should be allocated on the basis
     of expert review.

INPUT TO THE WG

  o  Stephen Hayes, 3GPP, told the WG that 3GPP's wishes
     for EAP include currently the base specifications, EAP-AKA,
     EAP-SIM, and some solution for network selection. There
     are no known other wishes.

  o  IEEE's desires for new generally applicable EAP methods,
     as documented in their earlier liaison statements, are
     still in effect.

ACTION ITEMS

  o  Initiate a mailing list discussion to define
     the goals and constraints for network selection (Jari
     Arkko, Nov 30, 2003)

  o  Produce solution proposal(s) for the network
     selection (Farid & others, Jan 2004)

  o  Define which parts of IKEv2 can be used in EAP IKEv2
     method (draft-tschofenig-eap-ikev2-02.txt). Possibly
     e.g. address configuration makes no sense within EAP.
     (Dirk Kroeselberg, Dec 30, 2003)

  o  Review and hopefully approve the 2284bis document
     (IESG, Dec 15, 2003)

  o  Correct the issues raised in the WG last call
     on the EAP State Machine document, and issue a
     new draft. (Pasi Eronen and Nick Petroni, Dec 5)

  o  Issue a new WG Last Call on the EAP State Machine
     document. (Chairs, Dec 10)

  o  Propose resolutions to the open issues in the
     EAP Keying Framework document. (Keying Design
     Team members, Dec 20)

  o  Text suggestion for the additional EMSK-related
     content for EAP Keying Framework Draft (Joe Salowey,
     Dec 15, 2003)

  o  Issue a WG Last Call on the EAP Keying Framework
     document (Chairs, Jan 20)

  o  Charter update (Chairs and ADs, Dec 30)

CHARTER MILESTONES

  o The keying problem document milestone needs to be changed:
    to say 'Feb 04' instead of the current 'Jun 03'. Does the
    WG feel that Feb 04 is realistic?

CHARTER REVIEW

  o We expect that charter items 1-4 and 6-7 are going to be approved
    soon in the EAP Base Specification (2284bis). And item 5 is going
    to be approved relatively soon after that in the EAP State Machine
    specification. This leaves just the keying issues on the charter,
    as the rest should be removed as we move on.

  o It would be useful to add the EAP Binding Issues to the charter
    as well under its own item. It is expected that this work can
    complete in early 2004, though the lack of reviewers has been
    an issue.

  o In addition, the WG wishes network selection issues to be studied.
    A new charter item would be needed for that.

  o A number of methods have been proposed, but most of the authors
    desire an Individual submission route rather than a WG item and
    a Standards Track path. It is expected that future EAP methods
    and their authors are interested in Standards Track and WG charter
    items, but the charter can be changed later when this need arises.

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap