Subject: [eap] EAP Codepoints

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:56:35 -0500

Hi All,

Apparently, I said something at the EAP meeting in Minneapolis that
has caused some confusion about the IANA allocation of EAP codepoints.

Just to erase any confusion, I want to make it clear that I support
the current wording in the EAP draft -- that EAP codepoints should be
allocated on the basis of expert review.  This represents an increase
in scrutiny from the current policy (first-come-first-served), which
I think is appropriate.  I do not believe that EAP codepoints should
require an IETF standard, and I do believe that it would be appropriate
to allocate EAP codepoints in some situations (vendor-specific or
environment-specific) where it wouldn't make sense to produce an
IETF standard. 

I do hope that the WG will consider standardizing secure, general 
purpose EAP methods in the future, but I do not believe that we
should require a standards-track document in order to obtain a 
codepoint.

If there are any questions about this, please ask.

Margaret

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap