Subject: [eap] Issue with the draft EAP Key Management framework: No name for the "top EAP keying material"

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:08:45 +0100

Description of issue: No name for the "top EAP keying material"

Submitter name: Florent Bersani

Submitter email address: [email-masked]

Date first submitted: 12/16/2003

Document: Document Requiring change: Keying Framework

Comment type: 'E'

Priority: '2'

Section: 2.2

Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Although the EAP hierarchy is very clearly described in section 2.2, I 
experienced some difficulties to present it to colleagues for a trivial 
reason: the top EAP key (i.e. the one that is somehow involved in the MK 
derivation e.g Ki in the EAP-SIM method, the private keys associated to 
the digital certificates used within EAP-TLS) does not appear to have a 
name. Things would become easier if there was standard terminology.

Requested change:

Proposed changes to the document.

Add to section 2.2 at the beginning of the different key types enumerations:
EAP Permanent Key (PK):
To perform authentication and key exchange, an EAP method uses a 
permanent secret. This secret MAY belong either to the symmetric 
cryptography or asymmetric cryptography category.

Add to Figure 2:
"(PK)" near the text "EAP method" in the top left corner of the figure
"(MK)" in the box labeled "EAP Method Key Derivation"

Add to Figure 3:
"PK," before "(MSK,TEKs)"

Add to Figure 4:
"PK," before "(MSK,TEKs)"

Add to appendix B:
"Pre-master secret": created or exchanged thanks to the PK which are 
digital certificates in the case of TLS
[This wording "created or exchanged" wants to encompass all the TLS 
possibilities: RSA, DH,...]

[In general, I don't like very much my wording but issue submitters have 
to propose solutions to their issues, don't they ;-)?]
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap