Subject: [eap] Issue 179: proposed resolution reject

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:40:50 +0100

Hi Uri,

Browsing through the list of open issues on the EAP Keying Framework, I
came across yours about the proposed AES-based EAP PRF.

Taking into account the discussions on the IPsec (see
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ipsec/2003/03/msg00294.html for the
beginning of the thread) and the CFRG mailing list (see
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/cfrg/current/msg00161.html
for the beginning of the thread) where renowned cryptographers (Hugo
Krawczyk and Dave Wagner) made some good points IMO, I suggest this
issue be rejected for two reasons:

First, it is not for now IMHO within the scope of the EAP Keying
Framework to define such a mechanism ("Algorithms for key derivation or
mechanisms for key transport are not specified in this document." as of
version 02b);

Second, as stated above, your proposal did not (yet ;-)) reach
consensus within the cryptographic community.

Regards,

Florent

P.S: I absolutely do not mean that such a proposal is not interesting:
on the contrary, I think it very valuable to suggest secure key
derivation functions (or PRNGs) based on frequent primitives (such as
AES)... Indeed, I am currently working on a survey/further analysis of
the existing schemes. If you want to follow this discussion off-line or
on the CFRG (I do not think it belongs to the EAP mailing list), you
are most welcome!

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:06:09 +0100

Resending it in plain text.

Apologies for the Html

Florent

BERSANI Florent FTRD/DTL wrote:

Hi Uri,

http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ipsec/2003/03/msg00294.html
for the

First, it is not for now IMHO within the scope of the EAP
Keying
Framework to define such a mechanism ("Algorithms for key derivation or
mechanisms for key transport are not specified in this document." as of
version 02b);

Regards,

Florent

---

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:09:56 +0100

BERSANI Florent FTRD/DTL wrote:

>> Browsing through the list of open issues on the EAP Keying Framework, 
>> I came across yours about the proposed AES-based EAP PRF.
>>
>>     * First, it is not for now IMHO within the scope of the EAP
>>       Keying Framework to define such a mechanism ("Algorithms for
>>       key derivation or mechanisms for key transport are not
>>       specified in this document." as of version 02b);
>>     * Second, as stated above, your proposal did not (yet ;-)) reach
>> P.S: I absolutely do not mean that such a proposal is not 
>> interesting: on the contrary, I think it very valuable to suggest 
>> secure key derivation functions (or PRNGs) based on frequent 
>> primitives (such as AES)... Indeed, I am currently working on a 
>> survey/further analysis of the existing schemes. If you want to 
>> follow this discussion off-line or on the CFRG (I do not think it 
>> belongs to the EAP mailing list), you are most welcome!
>> _______________________________________________ eap mailing list 
>> [email-masked] http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap 
>
> _______________________________________________ eap mailing list 
> [email-masked] http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap