Subject: [eap] keying issue 221: EMSK usage guidelines

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:23:57 +0200

We discussed the incorporation of the EMSK guidelines document
to the keying framework in IETF-58. That discussion ended up
recommending to merge it in. So unless anyone wants to object
here, I think we should consider this issue closed.

I looked at Joe's suggested text [1] and it looks good to me.
A couple of comments, however:

- s/Applications/applications.

- "The application MUST NOT use the EMSK in any other way except to
    derive Application Master Session Keys (AMSK) using the key
    derivation specified in this document." This seems inconsistent
    with the idea that applications should only know the AMSK, not
    the EMSK.

- Don't we need key names, too? Suggest branching a key naming
   hierarchy from the EMSK before using it to branch AMSKs.

--Jari

[1] http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/eapissues.html#Issue%20221

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap