Subject: Re: [eap] network selection

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:41:37 +0200

Alper Yegin wrote:

> Can we look at this from routing perspective, and say access networks
> provide L1-L2 service, home network provides L3 service? I get my IP address
> from my home network's domain (like the ISP when I connect via a DSL line).

There may be a distinction between the network giving you an IP address
and the network that you have a subscription with. For instance, my home ISP
could be in Finland, but when I go to U.S. the local hotspot operator could
give me an IP address even if they ship the the authentication request
back to my home operator in accordance with their roaming agreement.

>>There may or may not be a VPN service associated with this. If you
>>don't think about companies but ISPs with a roaming service instead,
>>you can probably see the non-VPN case: users would just get access
>>through the local ISP, but their packets would be routed directly to
>>the Internet.
> 
> 
> But where do I get the IP address from? If it is from my "home ISP" but the
> packets are forwarded to the Internet directly via "local ISP", then ingress
> filtering is an issue. This is why I VPN'ed the packets.

Ah, yes the VPN scenario is possible. But I think in the above you are
assuming that the users would somehow get a stable home address. If they
just get a dynamic IP address from the place they are, there is no
problem with ingress filtering.

I'm not saying that it has to be done this way. Just that there appears
to be different ways of doing it: either your home network gives you both
the IP address and handles your authentication, or that the two tasks are
separated.

--Jari

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:38:55 +0200

Lortz, Victor wrote:
> Jari, I agree that the user's device needs to take care of the selection
> of AAA routing.  There may be some setup procedure to configure user
> preferences, but once that is done, the device should automatically
> determine when and how to specify the routing.  I also agree that a
> default route should be provided.  That is why I mentioned that one can
> establish a default long distance provider for a phone line.  In
> retrospect, I should have made this point more clear:  I think there
> should both be a default route and a mechanism for the user's machine to
> specify a desired route.  Based on your comments below, I think we are
> in agreement.

Ok.

--Jari