Subject: [eap] Request to publish draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-03 as an Informational RFC

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:36:29 -0800 (PST)

The EAP WG would like to request that the IESG consider publication of
draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-03.txt, .pdf as an Informational RFC.  As this
document is related to the IEEE 802.1X-REV specification, we would like to request
that the document be sent to IETF last call, so that we can request
final review by IEEE 802, 3GPP, and 3GPP2.

Technical Summary

This document describes the state machine for the EAP protocol, defined in
RFC 3748.  It was developed in concert with RFC 3748 and the IEEE
802.1X-REV specification.  The document is being published as an
Informational RFC since it provides information useful to EAP and
IEEE 802.1X implementers but is not normative. Although it is believed
that the EAP state machine is consistent with both RFC 3748 and
IEEE 802.1X-REV, if disagreements are found, the standards track
specifications are considered definitive.

EAP WG last call summary

EAP WG last call concluded on draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-02.txt,
.pdf on March 18, 2004.  Two comments were received, both minor, and were
addressed in the -03 version, which was submitted to the IETF archive today.
The comments as well as other previously resolved issues are available
for inspection here:

http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/eapissues.html

Both chairs (Jari Arkko & Bernard Aboba) have reviewed the document for
consistency with the revised EAP specification, RFC 3748.  Since work on
the document was relatively uncontentious, we believe that the chance of
appeal is quite low. The major technical issues encountered since the
document became an EAP WG work item have related to the interface of this
specification with IEEE 802.1X-REV.  This issue was discussed both within
EAP WG and IEEE 802.1, and was resolved without changes to the EAP or
IEEE 802.1X state machines (by changes to the EAP and IEEE 802.1X-REV
specifications). The major editorial issue encountered in the -03 revision
related to handling of the rather detailed state machine diagrams within
the text version of the document, so that it would meet RFC Editor
guidelines.  This issue was resolved by the addition of an Appendix
providing the state machine in text form.

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap