Subject: [eap] RFC 3748 nits&minor issues

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 02:35:54 +0100

Hi all,

While rereading (perhaps a bit quickly, apologies in advance)
draft-ietf-eap-rfc2284bis-09.txt, I think I have spotted some nits or
minor issues:

1) Specification of length fields. I did not find a place where it said
the value of this field gave the length in bytes

2) Section 6.2 "Method Types 42-191 may be allocated on the advice of a
Designated Expert, with Specification Required" - types 43 and 44 have
been allocated (EAP-FAST and Zonelabs EAP), thus change to "Method Types
44-191 may be allocated on the advice of a Designated Expert, with
Specification Required"

3) While reading section 7.2, I got the impression that MS-CHAPv2 was
more resistant to dictionary attacks than MS-CHAPv1, which is the only
to be MS-CHAP to be mentioned. This is of course not true (see for
instance http://www.schneier.com/paper-pptpv2.pdf and
http://mopo.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/pptp_mschapv2/pptp_mschapv2.html).
Perhaps adding MS-CHAPv2 to the list would save users from misusing it
(since it is still widely available)

4) Section 7.10 "This restriction will be relaxed in a future document
that specifies how the EMSK can be used". My understanding is that this
document will be the EAP Key Management Framework itself (see the
ongoing discussion about the incorporation of
draft-salowey-eap-key-deriv-02.txt.

Florent

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap