Subject: [eap] Documenting the existing shared key EAP methods... towards a new EAP-MD5?

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:24:38 +0100

Hi all,

As a follow-up to the chairs' presentation on EAP methods at IETF 59 
(available at 
http://www.arkko.com/publications/eap/ietf-59/ietf59_eap_methstatus.ppt) 
and to my own presentation on EAP-PSK, a shared key method designed as 
the successor of EAP-Archie (available at 
http://www.arkko.com/publications/eap/ietf-59/ietf59_eap_psk.pdf), I am 
trying to document the existing related work (in a more thorough way 
than section 1.6 of EAP-PSK draft).

Thus, I have written a documentation template (available at 
http://eappsk.chez.tiscali.fr/draft-bersani-eap-sharedkeymethods-documentationtemplate-00.txt, 
before it reaches the archive). *If those of you who have written or are 
writing/designing a shared key EAP method could take 5 minutes to fill 
it in and mail it to me*, I would be most grateful.

The intention is to compile the available documentation on existing 
shared key EAP methods, before requesting that a new work item be opened 
to standardize one at IETF.

Indeed, it would be quite nice to have a simple and standard successor 
for EAP-MD5. As of now, apart the 4 methods mentioned by the chairs 
(EAP-MD5, EAP-OTP, EAP-GTC and EAP-TLS), there are no other standard EAP 
methods :-(

I will of course try to do my best fill the template for the different 
shared key EAP methods I am aware of but it would much easier and safer 
if their designers could give a hand. I also welcome pointers or 
information on EAP shared key methods (apart from the ones already 
mentioned on Bernard's page ;-)).

I will also obviously share with you the compilation of the 
documentation I will have gathered on that subject (by 04/02/2004 I expect).

Any feedback welcome and many thanks in advance for your cooperation,
Cheers,

Florent

P.S:
1) the revision of EAP-PSK is available at 
http://eappsk.chez.tiscali.fr/draft-bersani-eap-psk-01.txt before it 
reaches the archive
2) anyone willing to join in for the design of EAP-PSK is welcome!
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap