Subject: [eap] EAP viewed by IKEv2

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 03:49:42 +0100

While reading draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-12.txt, I came across the following 
text in section 2.16 which you probably know:

"In addition to authentication using public key signatures and shared 
secrets, IKE supports authentication using methods defined in RFC 2284 
[EAP]. Typically, these methods are asymmetric (designed for a user 
authenticating to a server), and they may not be mutual. For this 
reason, these protocols are typically used to authenticate the initiator 
to the responder and MUST be used in conjunction with a public key 
signature based authentication of the responder to the initiator. These 
methods are often associated with mechanisms referred to as "Legacy 
Authentication" mechanisms."

A bit sad, isn't it, that it refers rather to RFC 2284 and the old EAP 
methods rather then the new work :-(

Florent, of course I am not willing to modify IKEv2 in any way
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:02:06 +0200

> methods rather then the new work :-(

Regarding the reference, I have complained about it
at least once on the IPsec mailing list, but apparently
without an effect...

Please complain again. There's absolutely no reason to use the
old reference, and a lot of interoperability and other issues
come clearer with the new reference.

--Jari