Subject: [eap] IETF Last Call on draft-walker-ieee802-req-00.txt

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:35:56 -0800 (PST)

draft-walker-ieee802-req-00.txt is a product of the IEEE 802.11i Task
Group and was also approved by IEEE 802.11 at the January 2004 Plenary
in Vancouver, Canada.  In order to encourage review of this document by
the IETF, a liaison letter was sent by Stuart Kerry, Chair of IEEE 802.11,
to the IESG requesting publication of this document as an Informational
RFC.  In order to encourage thorough review by the IETF community, the
document was sent to IETF Last Call.

IETF Last Call on draft-walker-ieee802-req-00.txt has now concluded. 7
comments were received.  These correspond to Issues 224, 225, 226, 227,
232, 233, and 234 on the EAP Issues list:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/eapissues.html

Since draft-walker-ieee802-req-00.txt is a work item of IEEE 802.11i and
not the EAP WG, strictly speaking, the IETF does not exercise change
control over this document.  Resolution of the IETF Last Call comments
is therefore the sole responsibility of IEEE 802.11i and IEEE 802.11 and
my understanding is that resolutions will be discussed during the July
IEEE 802 Plenary in Portland, OR.

However, since it is desirable for this document to be published as an
IETF RFC and IETF last call comments need to be addressed in order to
accomplish this, in practice the opinions of both IEEE 802.11 and IETF
participants need to be taken into account.

Given this, here is how I'd like to propose that we proceed to resolve the
IETF Last Call comments:

a. In my opinion, Issue 224 (State Synchronization) requires
substantial discussion both in EAP WG and in IEEE 802.11i before consensus
on a proposed resolution can be reached.  I am therefore not prepared to
make a recommendation at this time, but would like to encourage
further discussion within both EAP WG and 802.11i.

b. I've gone over Issues 225, 226, 227, 232, 233 and 234, in order to
propose potential resolutions.  In terms of the process, I would like to
encourage review of these proposed resolutions by both IEEE 802.11i and
EAP WG participants.  In order to enable the discussion to be tracked, I'd
like to request that comments contain the Issue # within the subject line,
and be CC'd to the EAP WG mailing list at [email-masked].

An -01 "strawman" document incorporating the
proposed resolutions to these issues issues will be available at:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IEEE/draft-walker-ieee802-req-01.txt.
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap