Subject: [eap] Channel bindings

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 21:31:28 -0700 (PDT)

A question has arisen in IEEE 802.11i as to whether Channel Bindings (see
Section 7.15 of RFC 3748) is to be promoted to a SHOULD in
draft-walker-ieee802-req-01.txt, as suggested in Issue 227.  The current
recommended resolution of Issue 227 is to leave it as a MAY.

Section 7.15 of RFC 3748 states:

   Using such a protected exchange, it is possible to match the channel
   properties provided by the authenticator via out-of-band mechanisms
   against those exchanged within the EAP method.  Where discrepancies
   are found, these SHOULD be logged; additional actions MAY also be
   taken, such as denying access.

Some questions that have come up:

a. Are there deployed implementations of channel bindings?
b. Why is more strict action not mandated?
c. Are there known Access Point architectures that will break
   Channel Bindings?  For example, are there APs that use
   "MAC Address Translation" (MAT)?

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap