Subject: [eap] Question on EAP method types number 7&8

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:14:53 +0200

Apologies in advance for bothering about details when there's more 
important work to do :-(

While looking at the EAP method type number assignment (available at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/eap-numbers), I stumbled across the
following two lines:
"7 Allocated [RFC-ietf-eap-rfc2284bis-09.txt]
8 Allocated [RFC-ietf-eap-rfc2284bis-09.txt]"

I turned to RFC-ietf-eap-rfc2284bis-09.txt and I saw no mention of these
two numbers apart in section 6.2 where one can read:
"Method Types 1-41 have been allocated, with 20 available for re-use"

My question is: could the status of these two numbers please be
clarified? Indeed, either they have been allocated to some method and I
would be more glad to know which one, or they have not been allocated and
then I would recommend treating them as number 20, i.e. indicating that
they are available, what do you think?

Cheers,
Florent

P.S: BTW, it is not clear to me after rereading section 6.2 how method 
type 20 is to be allocated by IANA. Any clarification most welcome.
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:32:12 +0300

> Apologies in advance for bothering about details when there's more 

I'm glad we have people who pay attention to details!

> "Method Types 1-41 have been allocated, with 20 available for re-use"

Maybe IANA marked them as allocated because of this statement.
I don't have a record of method types 7 and 8 in my list of
know EAP methods. Anyone?

> they are available, what do you think?

Yes.

> type 20 is to be allocated by IANA. Any clarification most welcome.

It is not specified. Since the RFC says that they are allocated,
technically no one can allocate them, even if in real life they
are free.

My recommendation is to mark them as "allocated but unused"
or something like that. We might get some more method numbers
like this, if existing methods are phased out and no longer
used. This means that if we need more method numbers in five
years we could publish a new RFC updating the IANA section.
Until then, I'm sure that the unallocated number space is
sufficient.

--Jari

---

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:47:36 +0200

Jari,

Thanks for your answer.
I fully concur.

Florent

Jari Arkko wrote:

>> P.S: BTW, it is not clear to me after rereading section 6.2 how 
>> method type 20 is to be allocated by IANA. Any clarification most 
>> welcome.
>
>