Subject: Re: [eap] [Issue 247] Comments on EAP state machine v4

From: Nick Petroni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:38:48 -0400 (EDT)

Florent and group,

Sorry for the long delay in my responses. Hopefully we can get these
issues resolved this week or next. Here are my suggestions for addressing
Issue 247. I would like feedback, particularly on the last comment where I
am unsure the best way to resolve the issue.

Regards,
nick

Comment #1 - Editorial
 In section 3.2 do the following:
  - remove definition of '+'
  - remove definition of '-'
  - remove definition of '<'
  - remove definition of '>='
  - add definition of '++' as follows:
     "++  Increment the preceding integer operator by 1"
  - add definition of '<='
     "<=  Less than or equal to. Evaluates to TRUE if the value of
      the expression to the left of the operator is either less than or
      equal to the value of the expression to the right."

Comment #2 - Editorial
  In sections 4.1.1 and 5.1.1 add the following to the definition of
  portEnabled:
   "To avoid unnecessary resets, the lower layer may dampen link down
    indications when it believes that the link is only temporarily down and
    that it will soon be back up (see RFC 3748, section 7.12). In this case,
    portEnabled may not always be equal to the the "link up" flag of the
    lower layer."

Comment #3 - Editorial
  - In Figure 3 add the following to the INITIALIZE state:
     "lastId = NONE"
  - In section 4.3.1 change
       "lastId (integer)"  to  "lastId (integer or NONE)"

Comment #4 - Editorial
  In section 4.1.1 change definition of idleWhile to:
   "Outside timer used to indicate how long remains before the peer
    will timeout while waiting for a valid request."

Comment #7 - Editorial
  -In section 4.4 add the following definition:
    "m.buildResp()
       Method procedure to create a response message"

  -In sections 4.4, 5.4, and 6.4 add the following before the list of
   procedures:
    "NOTE: For method procedures, the method uses its internal state
     in addition to the information provided by the EAP layer. The
     only arguments that are explicitly shown as inputs to the
     procedures are those provided to the method by EAP. Those inputs
     provided by the method's internal state remain implicit."

  - For all procedures, add a sentence to the definition which defines
   the *type* of the return value.

Comment #8 - Editorial
  - In section 4.4  change
     "Also checks that the length  field is not longer than the received
      packet."
        to
     "In case of a parsing error (e.g. the length field is longer than
      the received packet), rxReq, rxSuccess, and rxFailure will all
      be set to FALSE. The values of reqId and reqMethod may be
      undefined as a result. "

  - In section 5.4  change
     "Also checks that the length  field is not longer than the received
      packet."
        to
     "In case of a parsing error (e.g. the length field is longer than
      the received packet), rxResp will
      be set to FALSE. The values of respId and respMethod may be
      undefined as a result."

Comment #11 - Editorial
  - In section 5.1.2, add the following definition:
    "eapTimeout (boolean)
        Set to TRUE in the TIMEOUT_FAILURE state if the authenticator
        has reached its maximum number of retransmissions without
        receiving a response."

Comment #13 - Editorial
   No changes

Comment #15 - Editorial
   No changes

Comment #16 - Editorial
  No changes

Comment #18 - Editorial
  Request advice on how to fix this from the group.

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: Florent Bersani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:45:49 +0200

Hi Nick,

All of your proposed resolutions look great to me.

Thanks a lot.

Florent, hope the group will give some feedback on the last (minor one)

P.S: BTW, I hope you had a nice time in the woods ;-)