Subject: [eap] Re: Issue 243: Clarification of State Synchronization

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:00:58 -0700 (PDT)

Joe Salowey wrote:

> I think the state synchronization should be in relation to the state of the
> authentication protocol and not to things that happen external to the
> authentication protocol such as the EAP method negotiation that happens
> before the method starts.  I don't currently see a requirement to
> authenticate EAP protocol numbers as they are outside the actual
> authentication protocol.
>
> Anything that is internal the method must be synchronized including the
> protocol version number.  The two sides must agree upon the data exchanged
> and established within the authentication protocol.
>
> Joe

OK.  How about this?

[4]  Synchronization of state.  The EAP method state of the EAP peer and
     server must be synchronized when the EAP method completes
     successfully.  This includes the internal state of the
     authentication protocol but does not apply to state external
     to the EAP method,  such as the EAP Type used or the negotiation
     occuring prior to initiation of the EAP method.  The exact state
     attributes that are shared may vary from method to method but
     typically include the method version number, what credentials were
     presented and accepted by both parties, what cryptographic keys are
     shared and what EAP method specific attributes were negotiated, such
     as ciphersuites and limitations of usage on all protocol state.  Both
     parties must be able to distinguish this instance of the protocol
     from all other instances of the protocol and they must share the
     same view of which state attributes are public and which are
     private to the two parties alone.
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: "Joseph Salowey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:01:36 -0700

Looks good to me. 

[email-masked] wrote:
> Joe Salowey wrote:
> 
>> I think the state synchronization should be in relation to the state
>> of the authentication protocol and not to things that happen external
>> to the authentication protocol such as the EAP method negotiation
>> that happens before the method starts.  I don't currently see a
>> requirement to authenticate EAP protocol numbers as they are outside
>> the actual authentication protocol. 
>> 
>> Anything that is internal the method must be synchronized including
>> the protocol version number.  The two sides must agree upon the data
>> exchanged and established within the authentication protocol.
>> 
>> Joe
> 
> OK.  How about this?
>