Subject: [eap] Proposed resolution to Issue 243: Clarification of "state synchronization"

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:11:38 -0700 (PDT)

The text of Issue 243 is available for inspection here:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/eapissues.html#Issue 243

After some discussion, Pasi, Jari and I would like to proposed the
following text for Section 2.2, clause 4:

[4]  Shared state equivalence.  The shared EAP method state
     of the EAP peer
     and server must be equivalent when the EAP method completes
     successfully on both sides.  This includes the internal state of the
     authentication protocol but not the state external to the EAP
     method,  such as the negotiation occurring prior to initiation of
     the EAP method.  The exact state attributes that are shared may
     vary from method to method but typically include the method version
     number, what credentials were presented and accepted by both
     parties, what cryptographic keys are shared and what EAP method
     specific attributes were negotiated, such as ciphersuites and
     limitations of usage on all protocol state.  Both parties must be
     able to distinguish this instance of the protocol from all other
     instances of the protocol and they must share the same view of
     which state attributes are public and which are private to the two
     parties alone.
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap