Subject: [eap] New EAP-SIM and EAP-AKA

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:11:17 +0300

Hi everyone,

We have submitted new versions of the EAP-SIM and EAP-AKA documents
to the IETF directories, and they should be available shortly. The I-D names 
are draft-haverinen-pppext-eap-sim-14.txt and draft-arkko-pppext-eap-aka-13.txt. 

There are no incompatible changes, and most changes are editorial, so we do 
not expect this update to hinder the interoperability of existing implementations 
and new implementations in any way.

To resolve a comment from the RFC editor, we added some clarification about 
second generation and third generation mobile network standards in the
introduction chapters. Both documents now refer to each other in the
beginning. It should be easier to understand how these protocols
relate to each other and different mobile network standards.

We addresses the comments from Yoshihiro Ohba's review of EAP-AKA 
(relevant comments are incorporated in EAP-SIM too):

http://www.opendiameter.org/draft-arkko-pppext-eap-aka-12_ohba-comments.txt

We fixed the issue reported by Uma Shankar Ch, as proposed by Joe (both drafts).
http://mail.frascone.com/pipermail/eap/2004-August/002785.html

We fixed the issue reported by Jouni Malinen in both drafts:
http://mail.frascone.com/pipermail/eap/2004-September/002814.html

For simplicity, I didn't add a new example for this issue, but instead 
I changed the message sequence chart in the section "Fast Re-authentication 
Procedure when Counter is Too Small" so that AT_IDENTITY is used instead of 
EAP-Response/Identity, and added a note about this point. 

We added a new section titled "Relying on EAP-Response/Identity Discouraged"
in both drafts. This section explains why the server should always use
the method-specific identity attributes and not rely on EAP-Response/Identity.

The terminology in EAP-AKA has been generalized so that it takes
both UMTS and cdma2000 networks into account. The same AKA algorithm is used 
in both 3G standards, so EAP-AKA can also be applied in both networks. 
The terms in the previous version of EAP-AKA was specific to UMTS only.

Best regards,
Henry
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap