Subject: [eap] EAP WG Review of draft-adrangi-eap-network-discovery-07.txt (fwd)

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:33:07 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:14:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Subject: EAP WG Review of draft-adrangi-eap-network-discovery-07.txt

At this point, the EAP WG has completed its review of
draft-adrangi-eap-network-discovery-07.txt.

The document describes a mechanism by which "Identity Selection hints" may
be communicated to an EAP peer, helping it to select an appropriate
Network Access Identifier (NAI).  This mechanism is useful not only for
wireless LAN roaming (the target application) but also in other
applications such as wired network authentication where link layer
identity hints may not be available.

The document has gone through two "pseudo-WG last calls" during which a
number of issues were brought up and subsequently resolved.  The document
was also reviewed by IEEE 802.11u.  A summary of the issues that were
raised and resolved (including Issues 256, 271, 280 and 281) can be found
on the EAP Issues List:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/eapissues.html

Both EAP WG chairs (Jari and myself) have read the document, and approve
of its publication.  Discussion on the document was not contentious and an
appeal is not expected. However, it is worth noting that IPR has been
asserted with respect to the document:

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/telecom-italia-ipr-wlan-access.txt

In terms of existing usage, the mechanism described in this document
for communication of hints (NUL separator after the displayable message
within an EAP-Request/Identity) is described in RFC 3748, and
has been implemented in shipping products, although not for the purpose
described in the document.  The ABNF within the specification has been
reviewed for backward compatibility with existing practice.

Given that EAP WG review has been completed on the document, we recommend
that the IESG approve the document for publication as an Informational
RFC via the individual submission route.  Note that the document has a
normative dependence on RFC 2486bis (draft-ietf-radext-rfc2486bis-02.txt)
which has recently gone to IETF last call.
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap