Subject: RE: [eap] RE: Comments on draft-adrangi-eap-network-discovery-07.txt

From: "Adrangi, Farid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:17:27 -0800

Hi Glen,
I don't think Farooq was implying that (security properties of WLANs are
identical to those of cellular networks).  Anyhow, in your example,
either Megatel.com knows that it needs to route @bigco.com to
Consort.com (based on some local policy), or the user influences the
routing by NAI decoration.  
-Farid

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Glen Zorn (gwz) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 8:30 AM
> To: 'Bari, Farooq'; Adrangi, Farid; [email-masked]
> Cc: Lortz, Victor; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [eap] RE: Comments on 
> draft-adrangi-eap-network-discovery-07.txt
> 
> 
> OK, now that we've established that the security properties of WLANs
> are identical to those of cellular networks (I wish that Farooq had
> pointed this out several years ago -- it would have saved a lot of
> time in 802.11i), I guess we can dispense with any further
> discussion of such things.  Furthermore, no enterprise networks will
> be listed in the hints, just SPs.  Suppose, then, that Bigco.com
> contracts with Consort.com to provide remote access for Bigco's
> employees when they are traveling.  Suppose also that Consort.com is
> a roaming partner of Megatel.com, which operates hotspots in
> coffeehouses around the world.  A Bigco employee walks into a
> Megatel hotspot and tries to access the network.  How does that
> work?  Does it work at all?
> 
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: "Glen Zorn (gwz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:24:00 -0800

Adrangi, Farid <mailto:[email-masked]> supposedly
scribbled:

> Hi Glen,
> I don't think Farooq was implying that (security properties of
WLANs
> are identical to those of cellular networks).  Anyhow, in your
> example, either Megatel.com knows that it needs to route
@bigco.com
> to Consort.com (based on some local policy), 

So the local proxy needs to have a list of all of Consort.com's
partners?  Otherwise, won't it send a set of hints (which we've
established wouldn't include Bigco.com, and therefore seem pretty
much useless in this case) back to the client?

> or the user influences
> the routing by NAI decoration. 

Does the latter option exist, unless the user happens to know all
the relationships involved?

>> time in 802.11i), I guess we can dispense with any further
discussion
>> of such things.  Furthermore, no enterprise networks will be
listed
>> in the hints, just SPs.  Suppose, then, that Bigco.com contracts
with
>> Consort.com to provide remote access for Bigco's employees when
they
>> are traveling.  Suppose also that Consort.com is a roaming
partner of
>> Megatel.com, which operates hotspots in coffeehouses around the
>> world. A Bigco employee walks into a Megatel hotspot and tries to
>> access the network.  How does that work?  Does it work at all?

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap