Subject: [eap] SHA-1 broken

From: Thomas Otto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:18:30 +0100

from: http://www.schneier.com/blog/

February 15, 2005
SHA-1 Broken

SHA-1 has been broken. Not a reduced-round version. Not a simplified version. 
The real thing.

The research team of Xiaoyun Wang, Yiqun Lisa Yin, and Hongbo Yu (mostly from
Shandong University in China) have been quietly circulating a paper describing
their results:

* collisions in the the full SHA-1 in 2**69 hash operations, much less
than the brute-force attack of 2**80 operations based on the hash length.

* collisions in SHA-0 in 2**39 operations.

* collisions in 58-round SHA-1 in 2**33 operations.

This attack builds on previous attacks on SHA-0 and SHA-1, and is a major,
major cryptanalytic result. It pretty much puts a bullet into SHA-1 as a hash
function for digital signatures (although it doesn't affect applications such
as HMAC where collisions aren't important).

The paper isn't generally available yet. At this point I can't tell if the 
attack is real, but the paper looks good and this is a reputable research 
team.

More details when I have them. 

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap