Subject: [eap] ICOS BOF -- IP Configuration Security

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:00:28 +0200

For your information: we intend to arrange a BoF in the
next IETF about the secure configuration needs at IP
layer. Some of the proposals in this space relate to
EAP usage, so participation from this group would be
highly desirable. Mailing list has also been set up;
see below for a link to subscribe yourself.

IP Configuration Security BoF

Chairs:
Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Area Directors:
Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/icos

This BoF will provide an overview of secure Internet layer
configuration needs, discussing the architectural issues, areas
of applicability and potential solutions under discussion in
different areas of the IETF. The purpose of the BoF
is to discuss a common topic that touches several existing
Working Groups, and it is not expected that a new working
group will be formed as a result. The BoF will also not
replace ongoing process in existing WGs, though it is hoped
that the discussion gives additional insights to the
participants to deal with these issues.

The need for this BoF has came up in the context of expanding
EAP usage, including the use of EAP for configuration in
different IETF WGs. However, the BoF will discuss this
issue from a general point of view, as the issue is not
related to just a single protocol. Examples of specific
issues in IP layer protocols are brought forward, however,
as are examples of solutions in order make it easier to
understand the concrete implications of the issues.

Internet layer configuration is defined as the configuration
required to support the operation at the Internet layer.
This includes IP address configuration, default gateway(s),
name server configuration, boot configuration (TFTP, NFS),
service location and directory configuration, mobility
configuration, and time server configuration (NTP).

Configuration is typically performed insecurely today.
For example, DHCP is rarely secured for a variety of
reasons, even though a security mechanism has been
defined in RFC 3118. In other cases, such as in Mobile
IPv6, the use of security tools is mandatory in the
protocols, but there are deployment barriers.

As a result, Internet Area working groups are exploring
alternative solutions. These include use of EAP for use
for key derivation, and configuration. For example, the
DHC WG has considered employment of EAP-derived keys for
use with DHCP security, as defined in RFC 3118 and 3315.
The MIPv6 WG, in investigating the bootstrapping problem,
has considered proposals involving use of IKEv2 with EAP,
as well as utilization of link layer EAP exchanges for
configuration.

IPv6 uses Router Advertisements for address autoconfiguration;
however, a mechanism is needed to secure them. The SEND
working group defined a zero-configuration mechanism for
secure IP address configuration, based on Cryptographically
Generated Addresses (CGAs). It also defined a certificate-based
authorization for routers, where hosts can use a router
that has a certificate traceable to a trusted root
configured for the host.

All these configuration tasks have delay constraints,
because they typically need to be performed before a
node that just moved can resume communications.

Reading list:

[RFC3118] Droms, R. and W. Arbaugh, "Authentication for DHCP
           Messages", RFC 3118, June 2001.

[RFC3315] Droms, R., Ed., Bound, J., Volz,, B., Lemon, T.,
           Perkins, C. and M. Carney, "Dynamic Host
           Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)", RFC
           3315, July 2003.

[RFC3748] Aboba, B., Blunk, L., Vollbrecht, J., Carlson, J.
           and H. Lefkowetz, "Extensible Authentication Protocol
           (EAP)", RFC 3748, June 2004.

[RFC3736] Droms, R., "Stateless Dynamic Host Configuration
           Protocol (DHCP) Service for IPv6", RFC 3736,
           April 2004.

[RFC3756] Nikander, P., Kempf, J. and E. Nordmark, "IPv6 Neighbor
           Discovery (ND) Trust Models and Threats",
           RFC 3756, May 2004.

[RFC3818] Schryver, V., "IANA Considerations for Point-to-Point
           Protocol", RFC 3818, June 2004.

[ANYCAST] Hagino, J., and K. Ettikan, "An Analysis of IPv6 Anycast",
           draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-anycast-analysis-02.txt,
           Internet draft (work in progress), June 2003.

[DHCPv4Threat]
           Hibbs, R., Smith, C., Volz, B., Zohar, M., "Dynamic Host
           Configuration Protocol for IPv4 (DHCPv4) Threat Analysis",
           draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-02.txt, Internet draft
           (work in progress), April 2004.

[DHCPv6Threat]
           Prigent, N., Marchand, J., Dupont, F., Cousin, B., Laurent-
           Maknavicius, M. and J. Bournelle, "DHCPv6 Threats", draft-
           prigent-dhcpv6-threats-00.txt, March 2001.

[DNSConfv6]
           Jeong, J. (ed.), "IPv6 Host Configuration of DNS Server
           Information Approaches", draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-
           configuration-04.txt, Internet draft (work in progress),
           September 2004.

[EAP3118] Yegin, A., Tschofenig, H. and D. Forsberg, "Bootstrapping RFC
           3118 Delayed DHCP AUthentication Using EAP-based Network
           Access Authentication", draft-yegin-eap-boot-rfc3118-01.txt,
           Internet draft (work in progress), January 2005.

[EAPIKE]  Tschofenig, H., Kroeselberg, D., Ohba, Y. and F. Bersani, "EAP
           IKEv2 Method (EAP-IKEv2)", draft-tschofenig-eap-ikev2-05.txt,
           Internet draft (work in progress), October 2004.

[IKEv2]   Kaufman, C., (ed.), "Internet Key Exchange (IKEv2) Protocol",
           draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-17.txt, Internet draft (work in
           progress), September 2004.

[IPCPMIPv6]
           Song, J., Chong, C. and D. Leigh, "MIPv6 IPCP configuration
           option for PPP IPv6CP", draft-song-pppext-mipv6-ppp-
           support-01.txt, Internet draft (work in progress), October
           2001.

[SEND]    Arkko, J., Kempf, J., Sommerfeld, B., Zill, B. and P.
           Nikander, "SEcure Neighbor Discovery (SEND)", draft-ietf-send-
           ndopt-06.txt, Internet draft (work in progress), January 2005.

[SEND-CGA]
           Aura, T., "Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGA)",
           draft-ietf-send-cga-06.txt, Internet draft (work in progress),
           October 2004.

[MIPv6-BOOT]
           A. Patel, "Problem Statement for bootstrapping
           Mobile IPv6, draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrap-ps-01.txt,
           Internet draft (work in progress), October 2004.

[MIPv6-IKEv2]
           Devarapalli, V., "Mobile IPv6 Operation with IKEv2 and the
           revised IPsec Architecture", draft-ietf-mip6-ikev2-ipsec-00.txt,
           Internet draft (work in progress), October 2004.

[MIPv6-EAP]
           Giaretta, G., Guardini, I., Demaria, E., Bournelle, J., and
           M. Laurent-Maknavicius, "MIPv6 Authorization and Configuration
           based on EAP", draft-giaretta-mip6-authorization-eap-02.txt,
           Internet draft (work in progress), October 2004.

[MIPv6-AAA]
           Yegin, A., "AAA Mobile IPv6 Application Framework",
           draft-yegin-mip6-aaa-fwk-00.txt, Internet draft (work
           in progress), August 2004.

[MIPv6-BOOT2]
           J. Kempf, E. Nordmark, S. Chakrabarti, "Bootstrapping Mobile
           IPv6", draft-chakrabarti-mip6-bmip-00.txt, Internet draft
           (work in progress), December 2004.

----

IP Configuration Security BOF Agenda

Time and Date: Monday, March 7, 2005, 1530-1730 (Tentative - have
asked to be moved to Wed-Thu!)

Preliminaries: (5 minutes)
- Minute Takers
- Bluesheets

IP Configuration Security Problem, Bernard Aboba (10 minutes)
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IETF62/icos.ppt

Why do we care, TBD (10 minutes)

Credential Reuse, TBD (10 minutes)

EAP and its Applicability, Bernard Aboba (15 minutes)
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IETF62/icos.ppt (To Be Provided)
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3748.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eap-keying-04.txt

Overview of The MIPv6 Bootstrap Problem, James Kempf (20 minutes)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mipv6-bootstrap-ps-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-giaretta-mipv6-authorization-eap-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakrabarti-mip6-bmip-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mipv6-ikev2-ipsec-00.txt
(more documents in the reading list)

Overview of DHCP Security, Mark Stapp/Ralph Droms (20 minutes)
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3118.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3315.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yegin-eap-boot-rfc3118-01.txt
http://bgp.potaroo.net/ietf/all-ids/draft-ietf-dhc-auth-sigzero-00.txt
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IETF62/draft-stapp-dhc-eap-00.txt (To Be Provided)

Overview of Secure Configuration in SEND, Jari Arkko (10 minutes)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-send-cga-06.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-send-ndopt-06.txt

Overview of Other IP Layer Needs, TBD (5 min)
- Mobile IPv4
- PANA
- IKEv2

Discussion and Wrapup (20 minutes)

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap