Subject: RE: [eap] Proposed Resolution to Issue 314: AAA-Key Confusion

From: "Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:54:53 -0500

Other parts of text seems to rightfully imply that the keys are
transported at the AAA layer, i.e. from AAA server through possibly AAA
proxies to AAA client, so why are we saying "transported from the EAP
server to the authenticator"??
Should say "AAA server to the AAA client" or "from the home AAA server
to the authenticator through the AAA client".

Madjid

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [eap] Proposed Resolution to Issue 314: AAA-Key Confusion

The text of Issue 314 is available here:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/eapissues3.html#Issue%20314

The Proposed Resolution is as follows:

In Section 2.1, change:

"  An additional step (phase 1b) is required in deployments which
  include a backend authentication server, in order to transport keying
  material from the backend authentication server to the authenticator.
  In order to obey the principle of Mode Independence, where a backend
  server is present AAA Key transport needs to provide the exported EAP
  keying material and/or derived keys required for derivation of the
  TSKs.  Since existing TSK derivation techniques depend solely on the
  MSK, in existing AAA implementations, this is the only keying
  material replicated in the AAA key transport phase 1b. "

To:

" An additional step (phase 1b) is required in deployments which
  include a backend authentication server, in order to transport keying
  material from the backend authentication server to the authenticator.
  In order to obey the principle of Mode Independence, where a backend
  server is present, all keying material which us required by the lower
layer needs to
  be transported from the EAP server to the authenticator.
  Since existing TSK derivation techniques depend solely on the
  MSK, in existing implementations, this is the only keying
  material replicated in the AAA key transport phase 1b. "

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:02:12 -0800

>server to the authenticator"??

Transport from the EAP server to the EAP authenticator is required for mode 
independence.  In this instance the AAA protocol is only a mechanism to 
enable that transport.