Subject: [eap] issue: jari's netsel-03 review, section 5 improvements

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:45:18 +0200

I would significantly shorten this Section and focus
mainly on concluding some of the main findings of
the problem definition and the dicussion on issues.
Some of the discussion should be moved to the issue
section.

An example of something to keep:

>    o  Nevertheless, many of the problems discussed in this draft are
>       very hard when one considers them in an environment that requires
>       a potentially large number of networks, fast handoffs, and
>       automatic decisions.

An example of something to move to the issue section:

   o  "Phone-book" based approaches such as RFC 3017 appear attractive
      due to their ability to provide sufficient information for
      automatic selection decisions.  However, there is no experience on
      applying such approaches to wireless access.  The number of WLAN
      access points is significantly higher than the number of dial-in
      POPs; the distributed nature of the access network has created a
      more complicated business and roaming structure, and the expected
      rate of change in the information is high.  As noted in [pri04]
      and [I-D.groeting-eap-netselection-results], a large fraction of
      current WLAN access points operate on the default SSID, which may
      make the use of the phone book approach hard.

An example of something to remove:

>    ... the IETF should in any case initiate work that
>    enables support for channel bindings in methods.  Preferably, popular
>    methods should be updated, ensuring compatibility with existing
>    deployments.  The representation of link layer parameters within EAP
>    should utilize a common framework, to make it easier to define new
>    link layers and keep the selection of EAP methods independent of the
>    link layer.  A number of proposals exist in this space, but none of
>    them have yet been adopted by the EAP WG as work items.

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap