Subject: RE: [eap] PANA and EAP keying framework

From: "Walker, Jesse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:30:58 -0800

Yoshihiro

> I don't think 802.11i prohibits any IP traffic to pass throuth
> uncontrolled port before 4-way handshake.  In fact, there is a
> description in section 5.4.2.2 of IEEE 802.11i 2004 specification:
[Walker, Jesse] This is not true. 802.1X frames are the only type of
data 802.11i allows to pass over the link prior to key confirmation. IP
traffic is not encapsulated with the 802.1X Ethertype, so is expressly
blocked.

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:47:23 -0500

Jesse,

> traffic is not encapsulated with the 802.1X Ethertype, so is expressly

Can you point out which text in the 802.11i specification states this
specific behavior?  How can we interpret the quoted text in section
5.4.2.2?

In any case, another way is to use multiple (virtual) APs, one
operating in 'open' authentication running PANA and the other
operating in 802.11i, and switching from the former AP to the latter
after PANA authentication.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba