Subject: RE: [eap] NETSEL Issue: Terminology issues

From: "Bari, Farooq" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:04:56 -0800

As a start, my understanding of how 3GPP has been using similar terms is
as follows

1.       Network Selection: selection between the operators/ISPs

2.       Access Technology Selection: selection between access
technologies like 802.11, UMTS etc

3.       Domain Selection: selection between e.g. circuit switched voice
and SIP based IMS for voice delivery

We can of course choose to define them differently.

Farooq Bari

Cingular Wireless

Core Network Standards

[email-masked]

+1 425 580 5526

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]]

> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:56 PM

> To: [email-masked]

> Subject: [eap] NETSEL Issue: Terminology issues

> Issue: Terminology issues

> Submitter name: Bernard aboba

> Submitter email address: [email-masked]

> Date Submitted: January 24, 2006

> Reference:

> Document: NETSEL-03

> Comment type: E

> Priority: S

> Section: Various

> Rationale/Explanation of issue:

> This document needs a terminology section.

> In particular, the term "network selection" is not defined, and
appears to

> be  used to refer to a number of fundamentally different problems.

> In looking at usage in other standards bodies (such as IEEE 802.11),
the

> term has been used in a number of contexts, and at times it is hard to
tell

> what context the document is discussing.  For example:

> a. The term "Network Selection" has sometimes been used to describe
the

> problem of

> choosing between interfaces.  For example, one interface may be CDMA,
and

> another

> may be 802.11;  which interface should be used for outgoing traffic?
I

> would

> propose that we call this "interface selection".

> b. The term has also been used to describe the problem of choosing
between

> "points

> of attachment".  For example, there are three APs out there, which one

> should my

> 802.11 interface choose?  In this context, the term "network" may
actually

> refer

> to a desire to avoid having to change IP addresses by retaining
attachment

> to the same IP network or prefix.  Perhaps the term "handoff

> candidate selection" might better describe this problem?

> c. Sometimes the term appears to be used as a synonym for

> "identity selection".   Note that RFC 4284 is entitled "Identity
Selection

> Hints

> for EAP"; the document does not use the term "network selection"
except

> in reference to external work, such as this problem statement
document.

> Given the confusion caused by conflicting usage of the term "network

> selection" I would recommend that the authors consider adding a
terminology

> section in which this and other terms can be defined.

> _________________________________________________________________

> To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:

> http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

> Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap