Subject: [eap] Proposed Resolution to Isue 310: Definitions

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 10:25:54 -0800

The text of Issue 310 is available here:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/eapissues3.html#Issue%20310

The Proposed Resolution is as follows:

In Section 1.2, change the definition of PMK to the following:

Pairwise Master Key (PMK)
Lower layers use MSK in lower-layer dependent manner.
For instance, in [IEEE-802.11i] Octets 0-31 of the MSK
are known as the Pairwise Master Key (PMK). In
[IEEE-802.11i] the TKIP and AES CCMP ciphersuites derive
their Transient Session Keys (TSKs) solely from the PMK, whereas
the WEP ciphersuite as noted in [RFC3580], derives its TSKs from
both halves of the MSK. In [802.16e], the MSK is truncated to
40 octets for PMK and 20 octets for PMK2.

Change the term "AAA server" to "backend authentication server" throughout 
the document.

In Appendix A, change:

"  [RFC2716] specifies that the MSK is divided into two halves,
   corresponding to the "Peer to Authenticator Encryption Key" (Enc-
   RECV-Key, 32 octets, also known as the PMK) and "Authenticator to
   Peer Encryption Key" (Enc-SEND-Key, 32 octets).  In [RFC2548], the
   Enc-RECV-Key (the PMK) is transported in the MS-MPPE-Recv-Key
   attribute, and the Enc-SEND-Key is transported in the MS-MPPE-Send-
   Key attribute."

To:

"  [RFC2716] specifies that the MSK is divided into two halves,
   corresponding to the "Peer to Authenticator Encryption Key" (Enc-
   RECV-Key, 32 octets) and "Authenticator to
   Peer Encryption Key" (Enc-SEND-Key, 32 octets).  In [RFC2548], the
   Enc-RECV-Key is transported in the MS-MPPE-Recv-Key
   attribute, and the Enc-SEND-Key is transported in the MS-MPPE-Send-
   Key attribute."

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap