Subject: [eap] Issue 346: Reference Cleanup

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:51:52 -0700

Issue 346: Referrence Cleanup
Submitter name: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date Submitted: April 3, 2006
Reference:
Document: Keying-10
Comment type: E
Priority: S
Section: Various
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

There are references included in Section 7.1 and 7.2 that are not referenced 
anywhere in the text.

The proposed resolution is as follows:

Delete [RFC2434] as a Normative reference.

Correct the reference to [I-D.ohba-eap-aaakey-binding] (typo).

Add references in the text to [RFC2409], [RFC2607],[8021XHandoff],
[IEEE-02-758], [IEEE-03-084].

Add a non-normative reference to [I-D.irtf-aaaarch-handoff].

Change the text of Section 4 to:

4.  Handoff Vulnerabilities

   With EAP, several mechanisms are available to reduce the latency in
   handoff between authenticators:

[1]  EAP pre-authentication.  This utilizes EAP to pre-establish EAP
     keying material on an authenticator prior to arrival of the peer.
     Use of pre-authentication within IEEE 802.11 is described in
     [8021XHandoff] and [IEEE-802.11i].

[2]  Key caching.  This mechanism enables an EAP peer to re-attach to an
     authenticator without requiring EAP re-authentication.

[3]  Context transfer, such as is defined in [IEEE-802.11F] (now
     deprecated) and [RFC4067].  Use of context transfer for handoff
     latency improvement is described in [IEEE-02-758].

[4]  Proactive key distribution, such as is described in [IEEE-02-758]
     and [I-D.irtf-aaaarch-handoff].

   The sections that follow discuss the security vulnerabilities
   introduced by the above mechanisms.

Delete the following references from Section 7.2 (Informative References):

[DESMODES]   National Institute of Standards and Technology, "DES Modes
             of Operation", FIPS PUB 81, December 1980, <http://
             www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/fip81.htm>.

[FIPSDES]    National Institute of Standards and Technology, "Data
             Encryption Standard", FIPS PUB 46, January 1977.

[IEEE-03-155]
             Aboba, B., "Fast Handoff Issues", IEEE 802.11 Working
             Group, IEEE-03-155r0-I,  http://www.ieee802.org/11/
             Documents/DocumentHolder/3-155.zip, March 2003.

[I-D.ietf-roamops-cert]
             Aboba, B., "Certificate-Based Roaming", draft-ietf-roamops-
             cert-02 (work in progress), April 1999.

[RFC0793] Postel, J., "Transmission Control Protocol", STD 7, RFC 793,
          September 1981.

[RFC2104] Krawczyk, H., Bellare, M. and R. Canetti, "HMAC: Keyed-Hashing
          for Message Authentication", RFC 2104, February 1997.

[RFC2246] Dierks, T., Allen, C., Treese, W., Karlton, P., Freier, A.
          and P. Kocher, "The TLS Protocol Version 1.0", RFC 2246,
          January 1999.

[RFC2401] Kent, S. and R. Atkinson, "Security Architecture for the
          Internet Protocol", RFC 2401, November 1998.

[RFC2419] Sklower, K. and G. Meyer, "The PPP DES Encryption Protocol,
          Version 2 (DESE-bis)", RFC 2419, September 1998.

[RFC2420] Kummert, H., "The PPP Triple-DES Encryption Protocol (3DESE)",
          RFC 2420, September 1998.

[RFC3078] Pall, G. and G. Zorn, "Microsoft Point-To-Point Encryption
          (MPPE) Protocol", RFC 3078, March 2001.

[RFC3079] Zorn, G., "Deriving Keys for use with Microsoft Point-to-Point
          Encryption (MPPE)", RFC 3079, March 2001.

[RFC4005] Calhoun, P., Zorn, G., Spence, D. and D. Mitton, "Diameter
          Network Access Server Application", RFC 4005, August 2005.

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap