Subject: [eap] EAP failure: reasons?

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:39:42 -0800

Hi,

Question from implementers forwarded to the list:

EAP Failure and Success messages do not carry any Type or type data. This
means the reason for Failure cannot be indicated to the peer using Failure
packet.

Is it expected that the peer somehow within the EAP method finds out why
things went wrong? 

Is there anyway to get around this?

Thanks in advance,

Madjid

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap

---

From: "Cao, Zhen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:55:37 +0800

Hi Madjid, 

In my opinion, the reason for failure may be indicated by the specific EAP method, e.g., in EAP-TLS it is supported by the TLS alert protocol (carried by EAP request messge). Since RFC3748 specifies that 'Success and Failure packets MUST NOT contain additional data', it is only possible for the specific EAP method to get around this. 

Many thanks,
Zhen
2007-01-19

---

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:52:31 -0800

Thanks for the response. Yes, I figured it probably goes through the method,
assuming the method supports it. Carrying something with TLS alert will
mean, the failure has to be conveyed before the final Failure packet for the
EAP-TLS.

Madjid

-----Original Message-----
From: Cao, Zhen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 8:56 PM
To: Madjid Nakhjiri; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [eap] EAP failure: reasons?

Hi Madjid, 

In my opinion, the reason for failure may be indicated by the specific EAP
method, e.g., in EAP-TLS it is supported by the TLS alert protocol (carried
by EAP request messge). Since RFC3748 specifies that 'Success and Failure
packets MUST NOT contain additional data', it is only possible for the
specific EAP method to get around this. 

Many thanks,
Zhen
2007-01-19