Subject: [eap] Issue 387: MSK and EMSK key lengths

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:03:50 -0800

Issue 387: MSK and EMSK key lengths
Submitter name: Lakshminath Dondeti
Submitter email address: ldondeti at qualcomm.com
Date first submitted: 2007 JAN 18
Document: Keying Framework,
Comment type: 'T'
Priority: 'S'
Section: Section 1.4
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Currently MSK and EMSK lengths are defined as at least 64 octets in 
size.  There is no guidance on relative size.  Why is that a problem? 
Well, if the MSK is say 96 octets in size and EMSK happens to be 64 
octets in size -- that implementation is compliant to the spec -- but 
the EMSK won't be long enough to derive MSK-equivalent keys.  As many on 
this list know, the HOKEY working group is working on using the EMSK to 
derive MSK-equivalent keys for efficient reauthentication among other 
things.

Requested change/addition:
The EMSK MUST be at least as long as the MSK in size.
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:33:34 -0800

This sounds reasonable.  Any objections?

>From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [eap] Issue 387: MSK and EMSK key lengths
>Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:03:50 -0800
>