Subject: [eap] Issue 385: NITs

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:29:28 -0800

Issue 385: NITs
Submitter name: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date Submitted: January 16, 2007
Reference:
Document: KEYING-16
Comment type: Editorial
Priority: 1
Section: 1, 1.4
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Within the document, "mode independence" is sometimes capitalized,
sometimes not. Sometimes it is placed within quotes, sometimes not.
Recommend changing all instances to mode independence (no quotes,
no caps).   "altSubjectName" is sometimes used instead of "subjectAltName".

The first paragraph in Section 1.4 appears to belong in the Introduction:

"EAP, defined in [RFC3748], is a two-party protocol spoken between the
EAP peer and server. Within EAP, keying material is generated by EAP
methods. Part of this keying material may be used by EAP methods
themselves and part of this material may be exported. In addition to
export of keying material, EAP methods may also export associated
parameters, and may import and export Channel Bindings from the lower
layer."

The proposed resolution is as follows:

Change all instances of Mode Independence and "mode independence" to
mode independence.  Change "altSubjectName" to "subjectAltName".

Delete the first paragraph of Section 1.4.

Change Section 1 from:

"1. Introduction

The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), defined in [RFC3748],
was designed to enable extensible authentication for network access
in situations in which the Internet Protocol (IP) protocol is not
available. Originally developed for use with Point-to-Point Protocol
(PPP) [RFC1661], it has subsequently also been applied to IEEE 802
wired networks [IEEE-802.1X], wireless networks such as
[IEEE-802.11i], [IEEE-802.16e], and IKEv2 [RFC4306].

This document provides a framework for the transport and usage of
keying material generated by EAP authentication algorithms, known as
"methods". In EAP, keying material is generated by EAP methods.
Part of this keying material may be used by EAP methods themselves
and part of this material may be exported. The exported keying
material may be transported by Authentication, Authorization and
Accounting (AAA) protocols and used by Secure Association Protocols
in the generation or transport of session keys which are used by
lower layer ciphersuites. This document describes each of these
elements and provides a system-level security analysis. It also
specifies the EAP key hierarchy."

To:

"1. Introduction

The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), defined in [RFC3748],
was designed to enable extensible authentication for network access
in situations in which the Internet Protocol (IP) protocol is not
available. Originally developed for use with Point-to-Point Protocol
(PPP) [RFC1661], it has subsequently also been applied to IEEE 802
wired networks [IEEE-802.1X], IKEv2 [RFC4306] and wireless networks
such as [IEEE-802.11i] and [IEEE-802.16e].

EAP is a two-party protocol spoken between the EAP peer and server.
Within EAP, keying material is generated by EAP authentication
algorithms, known as "methods". Part of this keying material may be
used by EAP methods themselves and part of this material may be
exported. In addition to export of keying material, EAP methods may
also export associated parameters such as authenticated peer and
server identities and a unique EAP conversation identifier, and may
import and export lower layer parameters known as "Channel Bindings".

This document provides a framework for the transport and usage of
keying material and parameters generated by EAP methods, as well as
specifying the EAP key hierarchy. It also provides a system-level
security analysis."

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap