Subject: [eap] Identifier Wrap-around

From: Mahesh Dantakale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:36:27 +0530

The Identifier is one ocetet field and unique for each EAP-Request.What happens, if the number of Requests exceeds 255 in an EAP-Conversation?Will the Identifier wrap-aroud to zero after 255?If yes, then wouldnt EAP regard this as duplicate packet, as the Identifier field in new Request packet is less than the previous Request packet ?Thanks and RegardsMahesh
_________________________________________________________________
The idiot box is no longer passe!
http://content.msn.co.in/Entertainment/TV/Default.aspx

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:13:47 +0300

Mahesh Dantakale wrote:
> 
> The Identifier is one ocetet field and unique for each EAP-Request.
> What happens, if the number of Requests exceeds 255 in an
> EAP-Conversation?
> 
> Will the Identifier wrap-aroud to zero after 255?  If yes, then
> wouldnt EAP regard this as duplicate packet, as the Identifier field
> in new Request packet is less than the previous Request packet ?

The identifier doesn't have to be unique for each EAP-Request:

   In order to avoid confusion between new Requests and
   retransmissions, the Identifier value chosen for each new Request
   need only be different from the previous Request, but need not be
   unique within the conversation.

and it's not necessary even an increasing sequence:

   EAP does not require the Identifier to be monotonically increasing,

So identifier sequence 0,1,0,1,0,1 would be equally acceptable
as 253,254,255,0,1,2 ...

Best regards,
Pasi