Subject: [Ecrit] Terminology section (<draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-requirements-01.txt>)

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:16:35 +0200

hi all, 

please find my comments below (#). 

a number of requirements are not needed and some others are missing. 

2.  Terminology

# i have the impression that we go a little bit far with the terminology
section. 

   In this document, the key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED",
   "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY",
   and "OPTIONAL" are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [1] and
   indicate requirement levels for compliant implementations.

   Since a requirements document does not directly specify an implement
   able protocol, these compliance labels should be read as indicating
   requirements for the protocol or architecture, rather than an
   implementation.

   For lack of a better term, we will use the term "caller" or
   "emergency caller" to refer to the person placing an emergency call
   or sending an emergency IM.

   Access Infrastructure Provider (AIP): An organization that provides
      physical network connectivity to its customers or users, e.g.
      through digital subscriber lines, cable TV plants, Ethernet,
      leased lines or radio frequencies.  This entity may or may not
      also provide IP routing, IP addresses, or other Internet protocol
      services.  Examples of such organizations include
      telecommunication carriers, municipal utilities, larger
      enterprises with their own network infrastructure, and government
      organizations such as the military.

      [Ed.  AIP vs. IAP vs. ? not yet clear as to general agreement on a
      single term.]

# do we use this term in the document? i don't think so. 
# if we think that these terms are needed then we should introduce a
(sub)section about actors.
# (at least something similar to section 4 of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-ecrit-security-thre
ats-01.txt)

   address: A description of a location of a person, organization, or
      building, most often consisting of numerical and text elements
      such as street number, street name, and city arranged in a
      particular format.

# why do we need to define what an address is? 

   administrative domain: An area or group of services falling with in a
      specific category or jurisdictional boundary.

# why do we need this term? 

   Application (Voice) Service Provider (ASP, VSP): The organization
      that provides voice or other application-layer services, such as
      call routing, a SIP URI or PSTN termination.  This organization
      can be a private individual, an enterprise, a government or a
      service provider.  We avoid the term voice service provider as
      emergency calls are likely to use other media, including text and
      video, in the future.  For a particular user, the ASP may not be
      the same organization as the AIP or ISP.

Schulzrinne & Marshall    Expires November 2, 2005              [Page 5]

Internet-Draft             ECRIT requirements                   May 2005

   Basic Emergency Service: Basic Emergency Service allows a user to
      reach a PSAP serving its current location, but the PSAP may not be
      able to determine the identity or geographic location of the
      caller (except by having the call taker ask the caller).

# why do we need to distinguish between basic and enhanced emergency
service? 

   call taker: A call taker is an agent at the PSAP that accepts calls
      and may dispatch emergency help.  (Sometimes the functions of call
      taking and dispatching are handled by different groups of people,
      but these divisions of labor are not generally visible to the
      outside and thus do not concern us here.)

   civic location: A described location based on some defined grid, such
      as a jurisdictional, postal, metropolitan, or rural reference
      system (e.g. street address).

   domain authentication and validation entity: A node that has
      authority within a given domain to authenticate and validate user
      location information.

# i think we don't use this term anymore in the document. 

   Emergency Control Center (ECC): Facilities used by emergency
      organizations to accept and handle emergency calls.  A PSAP
      (below) forwards emergency calls to the emergency control center,
      which dispatches police, fire, rescue and other emergency
      services.  An ECC serves a limited geographic area.  A PSAP and
      ECC can be combined into one facility (ETSI SR 002 180
      definition).  We assume that the ECC is reachable by IP-based
      protocols, such as SIP for call signaling and RTP for media.

# haven't we once said that we want to use either psap or ecc. i
remember that we agreed to use the term psap. 

   emergency address: The  sip:uri, sips:uri, or tel:uri which
      represents the network address of the PSAP useful for the
      completion of a VoIP emergency call.

   emergency caller: The user or user device entity which sends his/her
      location to another entity in the network.

   emergency identifier: The numerical and/or text identifier which is
      supplied by a user or a user device, which identifies the call as
      an emergency call and is translated into an emergency address for
      call routing and completion.

   enhanced emergency service: Enhanced emergency services add the
      ability to identify the caller identity and/or caller location to
      basic emergency services.  (Sometimes, only the caller location
      may be known, e.g. from a public access point that is not owned by
      an individual.)

Schulzrinne & Marshall    Expires November 2, 2005              [Page 6]

Internet-Draft             ECRIT requirements                   May 2005

   ESRP (Emergency Services Routing Proxy): An ESRP is a call routing
      entity that invokes the location-to-URL mapping, which in turn may
      return either the URL for another ESRP or the PSAP.  (In a SIP
      system, the ESRP would typically be a SIP proxy, but could also be
      a Back-to-back user agent (B2BUA).

# do we really all these geo-specific terms?

   geocoding: The process of finding the location of a street address on
      a map.  The location can be an x,y coordinate or a feature such as
      a street segment, postal delivery location, or building.  In GIS,
      geocoding requires a reference dataset that contains address
      attributes for the geographic features in the area of interest.

   geographic coordinates: A representation (measurement) of a location
      on the earth's surface expressed in degrees of latitude and
      longitude.

   geographic coordinate system: A reference system that uses latitude
      and longitude to define the locations of points on the surface of
      a sphere or spheroid.

   geographic transformation: A method of converting data between two
      geographic coordinate systems (datums).

   geographic location: A reference to a locatable point described by a
      set of defined coordinates within a geographic coordinate system,
      (e.g. lat/lon within WGS-84 datum)

   Internet Service Provider (ISP): An organization that provides IP
      network-layer services to its customers or users.  This entity may
      or may not provide the physical-layer and layer-2 connectivity,
      such as fiber or Ethernet.

   location: A geographic identification assigned to a region or feature
      based on a specific coordinate system, or by other precise
      information such as a street address.  In the geocoding process,
      the location is defined with an x,y coordinate value according to
      the distance north or south of the equator and east or west of the
      prime meridian.

   Location Key (LK): A key identifier used to query a location server
      in order to retrieve a specific end user or end user device
      location.

# we don't use this term in the document anymore. 

   location validation: A caller location is considered valid if the
      civic or geographic location is recognizable within an acceptable
      location reference systems (e.g.  USPS, WGS84, etc.), and can be
      mapped to one or more PSAPs.  Location validation ensures that a
      location is reference able, but makes no assumption about the

Schulzrinne & Marshall    Expires November 2, 2005              [Page 7]

Internet-Draft             ECRIT requirements                   May 2005

      association between the caller and the caller's location.

   PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point): Physical location where
      emergency calls are received under the responsibility of a public
      authority.  (This terminology is used by both ETSI, in ETSI SR 002
      180, and NENA.)  In the United Kingdom, PSAPs are called Operator
      Assistance Centres, in New Zealand Communications Centres.  Within
      this document, it is assumed, unless stated otherwise, that PSAP
      is that which supports the receipt of emergency calls over IP.  It
      is also assumed that the PSAP is reachable by IP-based protocols,
      such as SIP for call signaling and RTP for media.

   x,y coordinates: A pair of values that represents the distance from
      an origin (0,0) along two axes, a horizontal axis (x) representing
      east-west, and a vertical axis (y) representing north-south.  On a
      map, x,y coordinates are used to represent features at the
      location they are found on the earth's spherical surface.

# we don't need this term. 

# more terminology is required: i would like to see terms for the
mapping protocol (or something similar). 
additionally, the client and the server actors using the protocol are
required (e.g., mapping protocol client and the server)

# what is the name for the 'process for determining the location to uri
mapping' ? resolution? 

# additionally, we need a name for an 'iterative' and a 'recursive'
query to the distributed directory. 
# a definition for the 'distributed directory' or 'distributed database'
is also needed. 

-------

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 06:37:28 -0400

> # why do we need to define what an address is? 

Since this might be confused with (say) a network address.

> # why do we need this term? 

If not used, it clearly can go.

> # why do we need to distinguish between basic and enhanced emergency

Because it differs in the requirements, albeit not for the mapping 
protocol. Basic emergency services only need mapping and location 
accurate enough for mapping, but do not deliver location information 
suitable for dispatch to the call taker.

> # i think we don't use this term anymore in the document. 

Agreed.

> remember that we agreed to use the term psap. 

Yes, this should be PSAP throughout.

> # do we really all these geo-specific terms?

No, we don't. Some of the original documents provided more architecture, 
so they contributed these terms.

>       (e.g. lat/lon within WGS-84 datum)

I don't think we need any of these, except possibly the latter.

> # what is the name for the 'process for determining the location to uri

Mapping? This would go nicely with 'mapping server'.

> # a definition for the 'distributed directory' or 'distributed database'

Distributed mapping service?