Subject: [Ecrit] Text requirements in draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-requirements-01

From: Barry Dingle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:19:34 +1000

All,

I have just been made aware of this group and the  draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-requirements-01
document. I have been involved with ToIP so some
comments.

I agree with comments of Hannes and Henning regarding making the
Introduction less repetitive. As part of the deletions, a mixed message
about IM and RFC3351 was removed.

However, it may be worth still referencing RFC 3351 for informational
purposes. Another reference that may be of interest is
the draft requirements for ToIP (see
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-toip-01.txt )
that is in its final stages of editing. ToIP
is designed to provide a real-time text conversation service that meets
user performance requirements and overcomes packet loss with in-built
redundancy. It is consistent with RFC3351.

I
agree with Henning that the IM versus ToIP debate should not be
repeated in this WG, however, it may be worth noting the new ToIP
RFC - RFC4103 "RTP Payload for Text Conversation" - and maybe
referencing it when talking about
'conversation text'. ToIP meets the ToIP requirements. ToIP is also
completely consistent with VoIP as it uses
SIP (unchanged), SDP (adds media type 'text/t140') and RTP (as
described in RFC4103).

-----

Terminology section - the Application Service Provider
refers to
'conversational text' as a 'future requirement'. This is inconsistent
with Requirement R4. I suggest that the words "in the future" be
deleted.

Requirement R4 - The term TDD is not used much. Most people use the
terms TTY or textphone. In addition, the wording of R4 needs more
clarity. I suggest that the Motivation: read -

"Emergency calling must support a variety of media,
not just traditional voice and text using a
textphone/TTY, including conversational text,
instant messaging and video. In addition, it
should be possible
to convey telemetry data, such as
data from automobile crash sensors."

(BTW - ToIP would be an ideal way to transfer crash sensor information.)

Cheers,

/Barry

Barry DINGLE
Telecommunications Consultant
Fellow of the University of Melbourne
Chair - ACIF Customer Equipment and Cable Reference Panel (CECRP)
[email-masked]
Mob: +61 (0)41 911 7578
Fixed: +61 (0)3 9725 3937

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit