Subject: [Ecrit] Identifying the Caller Location section (<draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-requirements-01.txt>)

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:22:45 +0200

hi all, 

please find my comments below (#). 

5.  Identifying the Caller Location

   This section supplements the requirements outlined in RFC 3693 [5].

# i think that this statement is wrong (or at least not very specific). 
# i suggest to delete this sentence. 

   Thus, the requirements enumerated there are not repeated here.

# i think it would be reasonable to repeat requirements from rfc 3693 if
they are relevant. 
# i wonder what the relevant requirements are. 

  In
   general, we can distinguish three modes of operation:

   UA-inserted: The caller's user agent inserts the location
      information, derived from sources such as GPS, DHCP or link-layer
      announcements (LLDP).

# a few references wouldn't matter here. 

   UA-referenced: The caller's user agent provides a reference, via a
      permanent or temporary identifier,

# i suggest to rephrase the above sentence to:
#  ... a reference to location is stored by...
# the permanent / temporary id does not make too much sense. 

 to the location which is stored
      by a location service somewhere else and then retrieved by the
      PSAP.

   Proxy-inserted: A proxy along the call path inserts the location or
      location reference.

   L6.  Validation of civic location: It MUST be possible to validate an
      address prior to its use in an actual emergency call.

# is this a protocol requirement or an architecture requirement? 
# when should this validation take place? 

      Motivation:  Location validation refers to a process to determine
      whether or not a given civic location is valid or not.

# we don't need to explain location validation anymore. it is already
described in the terminology section

  A location
      is said to be valid if it can be mapped exactly to a unique
      emergency address for a PSAP, known to the emergency services
      directory/mapping database.

   L10.  Preferred datum: The preferred geographic coordinate system for
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
# the correct term is coordinate reference system. 

      emergency calls SHALL be WGS-84.
# SHALL? why not MUST?

   L28.  Location Provided: If location is provided to the routing
      proxy, it MUST be provided to the PSAP.

# the requirement should rather say something like: 

# An Emergency Services Routing Proxy (ESRP) MUST NOT remove location
information after performing location based routing. 

# the motivation would then indicate that the ESRP and the PSAP use the
same location information object but for a different purpose. 

      Motivation:  Transmission of the current location of the
      contacting device to the PSAP.

# this is a strange motivation. maybe a little bit more text would be
nice. 

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit