Subject: [Ecrit] Emergency Address section (<draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-requirements-01.txt>)

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:20:51 +0200

hi all, 

please find my comments below (#). 

minor fixes as well. 

4.  Emergency Address

   A1.  Universal: Each device and all network elements MUST recognize
      one or more universal (global) emergency identifiers, regardless
      of the location of the device, the service provider used (if any)
#                                     ^^^^
#                                      voice
      or other factors.  Examples of these might include: 911, 112, and
      sos.*

# move the examples into the motivation section. 

      Motivation:  SIP and other call signaling protocols are not
      specific to one country or service provider and devices are likely
      to be used across national or service provider boundaries.  Since
      services such as disabling mandatory authentication for emergency
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
# this sounds strange. if it is mandatory then it cannot be disabled. 

      calls requires the cooperation of outbound proxies, the outbound
      proxy has to be able to recognize the emergency address and be
      assured that it will be routed as an emergency call.  

# the following sentence either needs to be removed or requires further
explanation. 
# -----------
Thus, a
      simple declaration on a random URI that it is an emergency call
      will likely lead to fraud and possibly attacks on the network
      infrastructure.
# ------------

  A universal address also makes it possible to
      create user interface elements that are correctly configured
      without user intervention.  UA features could be made to work
      without such an identifier, but the user interface would then have
      to provide an unambiguous way to declare a particular call an
      emergency call.

   A3.  Recognizable: Emergency calls MUST be recognizable by user
      agents, proxies and other network elements.  To prevent fraud, an
      address identified as an emergency number for call features or
      authentication override MUST also cause routing to a PSAP.

# i suggest to move the last line to a motivation section. 

   A4.  Minimal configuration: Any local emergency identifiers SHOULD be
      configured automatically, without user intervention.

      Motivation:  A new UA "unofficially imported" into an organization
      from elsewhere should have the same emergency capabilities as one
      officially installed.

   A6.  Backwards-compatible: Existing devices that predate the
      specification of emergency call-related protocols and conventions
      MUST be able reach a PSAP.

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit