Subject: RE: [Ecrit] Does IDN work for the DNS proposal

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:13:06 -0400

I'm sure it didn't.  Of course, that would be a separate name (field).  If
someone had access to that data, and could check that field independently
for potential problems, that would be helpful. 

Brian

  _____  

From: McCalmont, Patti [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:07 AM
To: Brian Rosen; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] Does IDN work for the DNS proposal

Does this data include Apartment Numbers/Suite numbers as this is also
critical in validation of location? High rises and apartment complexes for a
given street address must be included when determining maximum characters
required. 

Patti McCalmont

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Brian Rosen
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 8:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ecrit] Does IDN work for the DNS proposal

Michael Haberler did a quick pass of finding 8000 Vienna street names,
turning them into IDN, and figuring out if they exceed the 64 character
per-label limit of DNS.  He didn't find any, but came real close (61).  

It would be very helpful if we did this test with as many areas as possible,
especially in the usual-long-name-suspect's cases.  

As I observed, if the incidence is low enough, a simple, consistently used
abbreviation would work.  Even truncation may work well enough.  

Brian

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "McCalmont, Patti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:07:09 -0500

Does this data include Apartment Numbers/Suite numbers as this is also
critical in validation of location? High rises and apartment complexes
for a given street address must be included when determining maximum
characters required. 

Patti McCalmont

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Brian Rosen
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 8:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ecrit] Does IDN work for the DNS proposal

It would be very helpful if we did this test with as many areas as
possible, especially in the usual-long-name-suspect's cases.  

As I observed, if the incidence is low enough, a simple, consistently
used abbreviation would work.  Even truncation may work well enough.  

Brian

---

From: Michael Haberler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:39:38 +0200

no, it didnt. Strictly street names.

See the Excel sheet at http://mah.priv.at/112/vienna-streetnames-idn.xls to 
get the idea.

-Michael

At 16:07 03.08.2005, McCalmont, Patti wrote:

>Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
>Content-Type: multipart/alternative; 
>boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C59834.A3D1B618"; x-avg-checked=avg-ok-2D4168A
>
>critical in validation of location? High rises and apartment complexes for 
>a given street address must be included when determining maximum 
>characters required.
>
>Patti McCalmont
>
>
>----------