Subject: [Ecrit] draft-polk-ecrit-mapping-during-registration-00

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:14:42 -0500

From a quick glance at the draft, I'm surprised that it doesn't  
mention the option that we discussed extensively during the interim  
meeting, namely that the end point (UA) performs a mapping protocol  
query. It is unclear from the draft whether the Option #3 (UA  
performs a HTTP query to a remote server) is meant to imply that.  
Also, the draft does not mention the use of the SIP configuration  
mechanism as another option.

I have to admit that I find it peculiar that we need this draft at  
all, given that the end system can run the mapping protocol easily.  
Having half a dozen different ways to do roughly the same thing seems  
rather sub-optimal.

I will note that configuration via REGISTER has been discussed in the  
SIPPING working group. I can't speak for that group, but my  
recollection was that this did not find favor. Given that the draft  
proposes changes to SIP, it would presumably have to be discussed in  
SIPPING as well.

I suspect the authors have had particular issues in mind that they  
can share with the group at large.

Henning

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit