Subject: [Ecrit] US DOT Next Generation 9-1-1 Project: Information and a Question

From: "Hansen, Jenny <Contractor>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:02:43 -0500

My name is Jenny Hansen. I'm the Project Coordinator for the Next
Generation 9-1-1 Project at the U.S. Department of Transportation. 
We're in the early stages of the project and I'm developing a listserv
for the project to insure we share the information for any agency
(public or private) that may have mutual interest in what is occurring
in this effort.
I'm soliciting input, while offering project updates to our ListServ
recipients, but I'd like to reach out to your membership at large. (I've
included a copy of the original Email sent last month regarding the
release of the Preliminary Concept of Operations document - a "user's
document" of sorts). Is there a process we may follow to provide the
information to your members? Additionally, if there is any option for us
to share the information at one of your regional meetings or programs,
we'd be happy to provide same.
Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations you have are truly
appreciated.
Thank you for your consideration.
Jenny Hansen

Jenny Hansen, Project Coordinator
Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG 9-1-1)
USDOT/NHTSA
(202) 366-5598

Greetings and Happy New Year!
You are receiving this information as a key member of public safety,
telecommunications or professional industry that may have a mutual
interest in the following project underway with the U.S. Department of
Transportation (DOT).
The Next Generation 9-1-1 Initiative is a DOT research and development
project to define the system architecture and develop a transition plan
that considers responsibilities, costs, schedule and benefits for
deploying IP-based 
9-1-1 services across the Nation. This project is leveraging work from
DOT's earlier Wireless E9-1-1 Initiative, which has enhanced location
capability for 9-1-1 calls placed from wireless phones. 
To provide a bit of background for your consideration, I've included an
excerpt of the NG9-1-1 Initiative which provides an overview of the
NG9-1-1 Project phases. As follows:
Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG9-1-1) Initiative. Working closely with the
9-1-1 stakeholders and industry, this research initiative, funded by the
Intelligent Transportation System program, will produce a national
architecture and deployment plan for the next generation of the 9-1-1
system (or system of systems); enabling access to the 9-1-1 network with
most communication devices. This project is an $11 million dollar,
3-year initiative and will be completed in three phases. 
* Telecommunication and 9-1-1 users and providers will be recruited to
become actively involved in the process of determining operational
policies and user requirements for an Internet/multimedia-capable 9-1-1
system. 
* The NG9-1-1 system will be operationally defined. Based on this
preliminary "ConOps" document, a variety of strategies will be used to
develop user requirements for the NG9-1-1 system.
* Finally, a design team/consortium will be tasked with completing a
high-level architecture and a migration plan that can guide the
transition from the present 9-1-1 system to the next generation of
9-1-1. The final documents, with a target deadline of 2008, will be made
available to the public, and can serve as the basis for NG9-1-1
deployment plans.
The NG9-1-1 Concept of Operations (ConOps) is a formal document that
provides a user-oriented vision of NG9-1-1 within the context of an
emergency services internetwork that can be understood by stakeholders
with a broad range of operational and technical expertise. It is
intended to communicate the vision of this system to stakeholders so
that they can be actively engaged in its development and deployment. It
also serves as the foundation for the development of the NG9-1-1
requirements and to drive the design of the overall system. This
document will be updated throughout the NG9-1-1 Initiative effort, as
the thinking related to the implementation of NG9-1-1 capabilities
becomes clearer and more precise. It is expected that under procured
work to design NG9-1-1 applications, this document will be used as
supplemental information, and will be revisited and refined into a more
comprehensive NG9-1-1 ConOps document. 
You'll find the Preliminary Concept of Operations document at: 
http://www.its.dot.gov/ng911/next_gen_911_sys.htm
You will be kept apprised of each project phase as implemented. Thank
you for your interest. 
Feel free to contact Jenny Hansen, the Project Coordinator for related
information. Or visit the web at: 
http://www.its.dot.gov/ng911

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:01:30 -0600

On Feb 9, 2006, at 11:02 AM, Hansen, Jenny <Contractor> wrote:
> We're in the early stages of the project and I'm developing a  
> listserv for the project to insure we share the information for any  
> agency (public or private) that may have mutual interest in what is  
> occurring in this effort.
>
> I'm soliciting input, while offering project updates to our  
> ListServ recipients, but I'd like to reach out to your membership  
> at large. (I've included a copy of the original Email sent last  
> month regarding the release of the Preliminary Concept of  
> Operations document - a "user's document" of sorts). Is there a  
> process we may follow to provide the information to your members?  
> Additionally, if there is any option for us to share the  
> information at one of your regional meetings or programs, we'd be  
> happy to provide same.

I'd say that given your copied email included a link to a web site  
where we can download the preliminary document, that you've succeeded  
in sharing it with our working group, which is a Good Thing. Thank  
you -- this whole process is improved by the free exchange of  
information.

I'll leave further commentary on meeting participation or other  
alternatives to the folks who plan those meetings, but it sounds like  
it might be a good idea to me.

I'm also curious about any interaction you might have (and about the  
opportunity for convergence with) emergency communications  
coordination agencies for other jurisdictions. Having to make 192  
different varieties of emergency response software is a bit tedious.

--
Dean Willis