Subject: [Ecrit] [issue3] List all Services Functionality

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:23:47 +0000

Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]> added the comment:

The ability to use LoST to list services it supports was discussed in the past 
already. Here are some example discussion snippets hidden somewhere in this 
mailing list thread:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ecrit/current/msg01964.html

Brian Rosen wrote:

>> I would imagine that there would be, somewhere, some kind of a  "pretty
>> print" description of what these services are.  The phone would  access this
>> along with the list of service urns available at their location  and offer an
>> interesting GUI for what it finds.
>> Brian

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> I agree with Brian.
>
> It seems quite common for GSM phones to show a text message  
indicating "welcome to Teluristan; you can get concierge services  at *311 and 
can talk to our sales rep at *411." when roaming into a  new country or service 
area. The problem with these messages is  that they are not structured, so 
there is no easy way for them to  be integrated into the phone's address book, 
for example. With the  service listing proposed, this would be fairly 
straightforward.  Given the generic URN service names, it would also make it 
easy to  have symbols or visitor-language descriptions on the phone. Thus,  
tourists could always easily access the local version of the poison  control 
center, for example, even if they have no clue that they'd  dial 1-800-222-1222 
in the US for that.
> Henning

----------
status: unread -> chatting

__________________________________________________
LoST Issue Tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.tschofenig.priv.at:8080/lost/issue3>
__________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 16:35:52 -0400

I don't think that the "pretty print" thing is in LoST.  I think there is a
requirement on LoST to enumerate the services it has URIs for given a
location.  I think Henning doesn't want just to return the tree; he wants at
most a subtree, and maybe just a list (just one level below the specified
start point).

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Hannes Tschofenig [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 3:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ecrit] [issue3] List all Services Functionality

The ability to use LoST to list services it supports was discussed in the
past 
already. Here are some example discussion snippets hidden somewhere in this 
mailing list thread:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ecrit/current/msg01964.html

> It seems quite common for GSM phones to show a text message  
indicating "welcome to Teluristan; you can get concierge services  at *311
and 
can talk to our sales rep at *411." when roaming into a  new country or
service 
area. The problem with these messages is  that they are not structured, so 
there is no easy way for them to  be integrated into the phone's address
book, 
for example. With the  service listing proposed, this would be fairly 
straightforward.  Given the generic URN service names, it would also make it

center, for example, even if they have no clue that they'd  dial
1-800-222-1222 
in the US for that.

----------

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 22:43:12 +0200

Hi Brian,

Brian Rosen wrote:
> I don't think that the "pretty print" thing is in LoST.

I know.

   I think there is a
> location.

Fine.

   I think Henning doesn't want just to return the tree; he wants at
> most a subtree, and maybe just a list (just one level below the specified

We could return the full subtree based with the service URN provided as 
a starting point for the search.

Ciao
Hannes

>>>print" description of what these services are.  The phone would  access
> 
> this
> 
>>>along with the list of service urns available at their location  and
> 
> offer an
>