Subject: RE: LLDP-MED and Phone BCP (Re: [Ecrit] New phonebcp draft wassubmitted)

From: "Rodrig, Benny \(Benny\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:35:20 -0400

Also, solution robustness seems to be better with LLDP-MED compared to
using DHCP with the DHCP relay, since LLDP-MED requires less "moving
parts". That's because the layer-2 switch has to be involved anyway
whether it's LLDP-MED or DHCP Relay needed to identify the individual
switch-port, and then the DHCP solution is dependent also on the DHCP
server. This could be less robust in emergency situations when parts of
the network may be failing, etc.

Benny 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 4:32 PM
To: Rosen, Brian
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: LLDP-MED and Phone BCP (Re: [Ecrit] New phonebcp draft
wassubmitted)

In theory, yes. In practice, the DHCP server is often managed by
different entities than the L2 infrastructure. (This seems to be fairly
common on
campuses.)  In our local environment, your approach would be extremely
difficult to implement, without a major network reorganization.

> For the enterprise environment, I would think you would use the DHCP 
> relay option, which adds a circuit ID at the switch.  That would be a 
> one step map (Circuit ID to location) at the DHCP server.  It's a two 
> step configuration (have to assign the circuit ID on the switch, and 
> build the circuitId to location map), but still seems to be pretty 
> close to what you do with LLDP-MED.
>
> Brian

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:47:14 -0400

If the host cannot reach a DHCP server, and does not get an IP address 
usable on the subnet attached through the switch, it is not going to be 
able to do much.  The "moving parts" that would concern me have to do 
with distributing location information to each switch about its ports.  
One advantage of letting host configuration handle this is that host 
get other centrally administered options this way already.

John