Subject: [Ecrit] Re: U-NAPTR

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:19:53 -0500

Hannes asked if I could elaborate a little on why the U-NAPTR draft [1]
is applicable to the ECRIT and GEOPRIV-L7 work.

Both LoST and the unnamed L7 protocol are likely to require some form of
discovery.  Both are currently looking at a DNS-based DDDS application
starting with a search in either the access domain or service provider
domain [2], [3].  SNAPTR is a good candidate for simplifying the
implementation of DDDS, but it can only produce two types of results: a
domain name (A/AAAA), and a domain name and port (SRV).  Now, there is a
possibility that this will not be sufficient for one or both of these
protocols as the service might be identified by a URI.

"U" flags, and, consequently, URI results were excluded from SNAPTR
because SNAPTR explicitly excludes the regex field in the NAPTR record
and URI results can only be carried in the regex field.  U-NAPTR
addresses this issue by describing a simple mechanism where a URI result
can be obtained.

I think that the U-NAPTR draft is worth a read, at least to get an
understanding of the issues.

Cheers,
Martin

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daigle-unaptr-00.txt
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tschofenig-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-00.txt
[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ecrit-service-urn-03.txt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit