Subject: [Ecrit] fetching LoST URI and dialstring via SIP

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:51:36 -0400

On the plane home, I did some more noodling about the proposal's from  
James regarding the use of SIP to fetch a PSAP URI and dialstring.

Con - We already have another mechanism to do this, LoST.
Con - There are real world limitations on REGISTER for these functions.
Pro - This is handy should the client not have been given the  
information to contact a LoST server.

In both these situations, I believe the clients should obey the same  
behavior of using these mechanisms as would a LoST seeker.   
Specifically, it should use them no more than necessary and not just  
with every REGISTER.  In other words, at network attachment time and  
invalidation of the cached answer (either by going out of region or  
timeout).

Specific comment on draft-polk-ecrit-lost-server-uri-00:  It should  
not be required to communicate location to get the LoST server URI.   
That is because it is perfectly reasonable to return the local LoST  
resolver.

Specific comment on draft-polk-ecrit-emergency-dialstring-00: The  
specification of using HTTP seems really out of place and is very  
underspecified.  Additionally, what is the point of doing this  
considering LoST does it?

-andy

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:17:22 -0400

A general comment (that doesn't disagree with yours): Given that we  
have the SIP communications framework heading to WGLC, I'm baffled by  
the notion of having ECRIT invent a new configuration mechanism that  
was explicitly rejected by the SIP WG. As a pure formality, this  
whole thing violates the SIP change process. Thus, I'm not sure how  
useful it is to discuss the details.

On Jul 12, 2006, at 9:51 PM, Andrew Newton wrote:

> On the plane home, I did some more noodling about the proposal's  
> from James regarding the use of SIP to fetch a PSAP URI and  
> dialstring.
>
> In both these situations, I believe the clients should obey the  
> same behavior of using these mechanisms as would a LoST seeker.   
> Specifically, it should use them no more than necessary and not  
> just with every REGISTER.  In other words, at network attachment  
> time and invalidation of the cached answer (either by going out of  
> region or timeout).