Subject: [Ecrit] Modification proposals for media support in draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 22:32:08 +0100

I want to propose a few small modifications to 
draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-00.txt

1. Editorial and explanation.
----------------------------------
The last lines in section 2 reads:

  “o  The proxy recognizes the call as an emergency call and routes the
      call using normal SIP routing mechanisms
   [RFC4504] details Best Current Practice for SIP user agents.  This
   memo can be considered an addition to it for endpoints.”

A full stop is missing after mechanisms, and it is unusual to start a
sentence with a reference. I also suggest to include a hint on what is found
in RFC 4504

I suggest a slight change to:

"  o  The proxy recognizes the call as an emergency call, routes the
      call using normal SIP routing mechanisms.

Best Current Practice for SIP user agents including handling of audio and
real-time text [RFC 4103] media detailed in [RFC4504] SHOULD be applied.
This memo can be considered an addition to it for endpoints."

2. Add a bullet point in the list in section 2.
------------------------------------------------
I also suggest that the sequence of steps should end with media
establishment rather than just routing

Insert as a new bullet point last in the list in section 2:

   o  The call is established and common media streams opened.

3. More real-time text improvements
---------------------------------------
Section 3 starts:
" Although present PSAPs have only support for voice calls"

That is not true. A reasonable part of the population has also support for
real-time text calls. So, the support for real-time text expected from IP is
to maintain and extend support rather than fulfilling new expectations.

I suggest rewording to:

" Support for voice calls and real-time text calls placed
through PSTN facilities or systems connected to the PSTN is found in present
PSAPs. Future PSAPs will however support Internet connectivity and a wider
range of media types and provide higher functionality."

4. Handle unused references.
----------------------------
In the current version, I have observed two unused references.
[RFC 4103] and [draft-ietf-sipping-toip], both related to the real-time text
medium. 

Revival of reference [rfc 4103] is proposed in 3) above.

In order to revive the use of [sipping-toip], I suggest adding this line
between the two paragraphs of section 3:

"The expectations for emergency service support for the real-time text
medium, described in [draft-ietf-sipping-toip], section 7.1 SHOULD be
fulfilled."

( draft-ietf-sipping-toip-07 is in publication requested state )

With these small changes I think the phonebcp draft will be a good guidance
for design of user terminals.

Thanks

Gunnar

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
[email-masked]
Tel: +46708204288
www.omnitor.se

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 21:37:17 -0500

-phonebcp-01 will be released before the deadline.  I have made all of these
changes, although I created a new "media" section where some of the
suggested text has been placed.  When the draft is announced, please have a
look and see if these changes meet your approval.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gunnar Hellström [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:32 PM
> To: Ecrit@Ietf. Org
> Subject: [Ecrit] Modification proposals for media support indraft-ietf-
> ecrit-phonebcp
>