Subject: [Ecrit] Re: Ecrit Digest, Vol 26, Issue 33

From: Andres Kütt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:14:13 +0300

> Forcing relationships between calling and access networks won't scale.
> There are thousands to tens of thousands of each, and any calling network
> may have to process an emergency call originating on any access network.  My
> usual example is a nomadic caller from Sierra Leone, using a Sierra Leone
> VoIP service, connecting a softclient through a WiFi Access Point in a café
> in Chicago served by a WiFi network with a DSL connection from the local
> ILEC.  Trying to create a relationship between the Sierra Leone VoIP
> Services Pty and any of Starbucks, T-Mobile Hotspot or AT&T (DSL) is not
> feasible. You can claim this is a corner case, but it's happening NOW, and
> there are millions of subscribers to VoIP services who are independent of
> any access network (e.g. Vonage).

Most of the Skype network operates on the very same principle of nomadic
subscribers, so there are 100+ million of people working exactly the way.
This is by no means a corner case.

Yours,
Andres

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit