Subject: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-01

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:46:53 -0700

Few small comments ..

If a phone makes an anonymous call to the police emergency number, is  
that handled about the same as any other anonymous call?

One small thing - I note that it says the UA should insert an 3325 P- 
Asserted-Identity. I really doubt this would ever be of much use and  
don't think it should be recommended unless it has value. I do see  
the value of the service provider putting one in and passing to PSAP  
but that is different.

I think you should require all the PSAP equipment to support multipart.

In the support for IM stuff, it's pretty clear to me how SIP pager  
mode fits in, but it is really unclear to me how a phone doing xmpp  
would end up connected with the PSAP such that they were speaking to  
same operator as voice call. I'm sure it could be done but seem like  
a lot more specification is needed that what is here. I guess the  
obvious approach would be using SIP to set up an XMPP media session  
using something like the comedia stuff in SIP.

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:50:59 -0400

See below

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:47 PM
> To: ECRIT
> Subject: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-01
> 
> 
> Few small comments ..
> 
In most jurisdictions, it is a legal requirement for the carrier to provide
location and telephone number, so the answer is no.  We need some text I
think.

> the value of the service provider putting one in and passing to PSAP
Right, it's the carrier that should do this.  I'll change the text

> I think you should require all the PSAP equipment to support multipart.
Yes, it must

> using something like the comedia stuff in SIP.
Yeah, but I don't want to invent something like that.  I don't think it's a
practical problem, because I think if the "call" is multimedia (more than
one media) it will be signaled with SIP, and XMPP would only be used in an
IM-only circumstance.  I'll clarify the text.  If someone comes along and
defines SIP establishment of XMPP, and we see some deployment for multimedia
calls, then maybe we can revisit.

Brian