Subject: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-03

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:42:05 -0800

I find things like AN-15 pretty confusing about what they mean I  
should do
    AN-15 Placement of NAT devices SHOULD consider the effect of the NAT
    on the LCP.
I don't know what I would do with this - to me it roughly says "Some  
network configurations will not work, and we can't tell you which  
ones. Try to avoid them - Good Luck".  I have similar feelings about  
some of the other requirements.  I guess all I am saying is have a  
read over these and see if they can be changed to something an  
implementation needs to do.

Some trivial stuff ...

In section 10
    SP-37 Unitialized devices SHOULD have a persistent URI in a
    P-Asserted-Identity: header if there is some way to assign such an
    identifier to the device.
Why bother - I can't imagine that the unitialized device is part of  
Trust Domain and the first thing the proxy would do would be toss out  
this information and replace it with authenticated information. When  
I read this, I suspect this is somewhat confused about when 3325  
works. I point out that it is an information RFC because it only  
worked in fairly limited circumstances - I suspect this is one of the  
environments where it does not work.

ED-40 says that 3118 should be used but I have no idea how you are  
going to get credentials for this is many of the cases you are  
interested in. In fact exactly the case where DHCP is most likely to  
be spoofed.

In ED-33, I don't think you want to ref 3118.

This mandates that all proxies need to do LOST and the ecrit  
processing. For some types of deployments,  I find it extremely  
unlikely that they would do this - instead they will make a small  
subset of the proxies do this and ensure the call goes thorough at  
least one of these. I think that describing that way might be far  
more realistic.

Is there any particular part of LLDP-MED we need to reference to get  
this?

Section 9.1, point 4. not sure if you mean something specific by "URI  
of the device". Obviously would would not want this to be  
misinterpreted as the GRUU.

Cullen <with my individual contributor hat on>

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit