Subject: [Ecrit] Number of DHCP options a voip device might need

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:42:57 -0800

I think I've mentioned this before but I am a bit concerned about the  
maximum size of DHCP responses and the number of options we might  
have for them. I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in working  
with on a draft that just tries to list what might turn out to be the  
large DHCP packet on a reasonable configured network? I only mention  
it in this group because I think the work here is what runs the risk  
of causing the most harm if DHCP gets badly broken? Anyone interested  
in this?

Thanks, Cullen <with my individual contributor hat on>

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:20:58 -0500

Fortunately, you can request individual options with DHCP INFORM, so  
this doesn't seem a big issue.

On Nov 29, 2007, at 10:42 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:

>
> I think I've mentioned this before but I am a bit concerned about  
> the maximum size of DHCP responses and the number of options we  
> might have for them. I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in  
> working with on a draft that just tries to list what might turn out  
> to be the large DHCP packet on a reasonable configured network? I  
> only mention it in this group because I think the work here is what  
> runs the risk of causing the most harm if DHCP gets badly broken?  
> Anyone interested in this?
>

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:17:58 -0800

Good point - thanks - scratch that previous request. At about the  
time you were sending this I was reading geopriv-dhcp-lbyr-uri-option  
and realized that the WG was going to use INFORM to avoid this problem.

---

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 05:09:22 -0700

I agree this can be solved via the INFORM, DHCPv4 option 55 by having
enterprise admins/operators configure the devices with what options they
should request.
But it is still an area we should not underestimate based on my limited
experience with UA and DHCP relay vendors, in particular, in the cases
of a NACK to DHCP request, lease renewal, DHCP option value updates,
etc.  

Jean-Francois.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:18 PM
> To: Henning Schulzrinne
> Cc: ECRIT
> Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Number of DHCP options a voip device might need
> 
>