Subject: RE: [Ecrit] 4504 reference in draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-03

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:56:18 +0100

Cullen,
I have been involved in contributions to ED-54, and I agree that it does not
look correct to require MUST for an informational RFC.

In fact, there are two versions of ED-54 in the draft so that gives us some
inspiration material for editing. 

In section 9. it says:
  ED-54 Best Current Practice for SIP user agents [RFC4504] including
   handling of audio, video and real-time text [RFC4103] MUST be
   applied.  This memo can be considered as an addition to [RFC4504] for
   endpoints.

In section A.1 it says:
   ED-54 Best Current Practice for SIP user agents [RFC4504] including
   handling of audio, video and real-time text [RFC4103] SHOULD be
   applied.  This memo can be considered as an addition to [RFC4504] for
   endpoints.

----------------------------
The difference is between a MUST and a SHOULD for referring to RFC 4504 SIP
Telephony devices. Whatever is agreed needs to go into both places. I think
the version with SHOULD is the right one to pick.

The audio, video and real-time text media are well covered in section 14.
Media.

ED-54 aims at setting a base for interoperability in general between UAs and
PSAPs. The details in chapters 9 to 14 add to that base.

I do not know any other specification than RFC4504 that is suitable as the
base minimum requirements for interoperability in SIP signaling. Lacking
that, I suggest to follow Cullen´s observation and use the version of ED-54
from A.1 in both places. 

Gunnar
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
[email-masked]
Tel: +46708204288
www.omnitor.se

-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 4:42 AM
To: ECRIT
Subject: [Ecrit] 4504 reference in draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-03

ED-54 says:
    Best Current Practice for SIP user agents [RFC4504] including
    handling of audio, video and real-time text [RFC4103] MUST be
    applied.  This memo can be considered as an addition to [RFC4504] for
    endpoints.

I'd note that 4504 is an informational RFC (not BCP) and I would not be
surprised if this downref encountered some push back along the way.

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

__________ NOD32 2692 (20071128) Information __________

Detta meddelande dr genomsvkt av NOD32 Antivirus.
http://www.nod32.com

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit