Subject: [Emailcore] rfc5321bis: SEND, SOML, and SAML

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 14:48:18 -0500

Hi.

Just to make and extra check and be sure no one is surprised:

After a review of the text and a brief conversation with Alexey,
I have removed the comments and parenthetical notes about SEND,
SAML, and SOML from the body of the document, leaving only the
discussion in Appendix F.6.  That means, among other things,
that as far as 5321bis is concerned (i.e., barring extensions),
the MAIL command is the only way to open a mail transaction. Two
questions/ requests:

(1) If anyone objects to taking those comments and notes out,
please speak up ASAP.  Otherwise, they will be gone from
draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5321bis-01, which I hope to have posted
before the end of the week.

(2) There is an editor's note in the middle of F.6.  Please
check it and, if you think anything else is needed, please say
so and, ideally, supply/specify text and where to put it.  I
will probably not drop the note in -01 but, if there are no
comments RSN, it will disappear no later than -02 (and I might
change my mind about -01).

General comment for information:  As I work my way back and
forth through rfc5321bis, I am adding crossreferences to places
where similar topics or overlaps occur.  That seems second-best
to the complete rewrite that I would prefer in principle but
that, for the same pragmatic reasons we avoided it with DRUMS
and YAM, isn't going to happen.  If anyone objects in principle
to more crossreferences, please speak up now.  Also note that my
effort to get them in is not systematic.  If anyone sees areas
where crossreferences should be added, I'd appreciate them being
pointed out (and, unless the WG wants to review each one
separately, an off-list note, ideally one with "5321bis
crossreference" included in the subject line, would be fine).

Moving forward.
    john