Subject: [Emailcore] Document dependencies

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 04:35:27 -0800

To get what I posted to the session chat, into the wg list archive:

Stray thought:  SMTP cannot be used without 5322. However the 5322 
object /has/ been used without SMTP. Making 5322bis depend on SMTP 
changes this.

When 5322bis makes a reference to 5321bis, the message object has been 
made to depend on SMTP, although there is plenty of history of having 
the object carried by other protocols.

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 07:27:05 -0600

> the object carried by other protocols.

As far as I know, all of the references in 5322bis to 5321bis are 
non-normative, along the lines of "this document defines this very 
broadly, but other documents like 5321bis defines this much more 
narrowly, so you should probably go look at that."

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best