Subject: [Emailcore] 5321bis referencing glitchwrt, RFCx 3463 and Appendix G.8

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 00:03:29 -0400

Hi,

This is probably a small issue, but one to which we should
probably pay attention well before we enter the home stretch.

RFC 5321 has many citations of RFC 3463 (Enhanced Status Codes),
which is listed as Informational.  However, in the run-up to
producing that document in YAM, many constructions that used to
say that XYZ is preferred over some other option were changed to
say that XYZ SHOULD be used.  I think that use of 3463 in
contexts that specify its use in a SHOULD make the reference
normative.  

I will make that change unless someone objects, but it raises
the importance of the discussion in G.8 because, with that move,
we either need to get 3463 to Internet Standard (it is almost
certainly deployed widely enough and shown to be interoperable)
or we need to attach a downref disclaimer to the Last Call
announcement for 5321bis when we get that far.

I have slightly modified G.8 in the working draft so we don't
lose track of this.

   john

---

From: Viktor Dukhovni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 00:19:10 -0400

> On 8 Jul 2021, at 12:03 am, John C Klensin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> which is listed as Informational.

That's not what I see: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3463

-------
From: draft-vaudreuil-1893bis-03                        Draft Standard
Updated by: 3886, 4468, 4865, 4954, 5248           	Errata exist
Network Working Group                                   G. Vaudreuil
Request for Comments: 3463                           	Lucent Technologies
Obsoletes: 1893                                         January 2003
Category: Standards Track
                   
Enhanced Mail System Status Codes
-------

I've always treated it as normative, and the datatracker concurs.

-- 
	Viktor.

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 08:55:11 -0400

Sorry, was having a low-vision night.  Trying again:

s/ glitchwrt, RFCx 3463/ enhanced status codes, RFC 3463/

s/Informational/Draft Standard/

--On Thursday, July 8, 2021 00:19 -0400 Viktor Dukhovni
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> RFC 5321 has many citations of RFC 3463 (Enhanced Status
>> Codes), which is listed as Informational.
> 
> That's not what I see:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3463