Subject: [Emailcore] Closing Ticket #14 (G.7.8 Review Different Size Limits)

From: Todd Herr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 11:30:23 -0400

Greetings.

I heard during the IETF 111 emailcore session on July 27 that consensus
here was that there was no need to change the text that specifies various
size limits in sections 4.5.3.1.[1-8].

Therefore, I will be closing the ticket on July 30 unless objections are
raised.

https://trac.ietf.org/trac/emailcore/ticket/14

https://codimd.ietf.org/notes-ietf-111-emailcore

-- 

*Todd Herr* | Technical Director, Standards and Ecosystem
*e:* [email-masked]
*m:* 703.220.4153

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.

---

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 20:27:30 +0200

On Wed 28/Jul/2021 17:30:23 +0200 Todd Herr wrote:
> Greetings.
> 
> I heard during the IETF 111 emailcore session on July 27 that consensus here 
> was that there was no need to change the text that specifies various size 
> limits in sections 4.5.3.1.[1-8].
> 
> Therefore, I will be closing the ticket on July 30 unless objections are raised.

It is fine to close the ticket, AFAICU.

Let me recall Ned's note about the preceding sentence

                                                              To the
    maximum extent possible, implementation techniques that impose no
    limits on the length of these objects should be used.

That text should be changed to read something like "To a reasonable extent", 
since striving to impose no limit would make the server vulnerable to resource 
exhaustion attacks.  That's not part of the ticket, though.

See https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/emailcore/2C7XAnTCpBWdq22dTrGVP_m3j0A

Best
Ale
--