Subject: [Emailcore] draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5321bis-05

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 14:48:58 -0400

Hi.

As promised, draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5321bis-05 has been posted.
Discussion of most of the issues it addresses appeared in the
notes that I posted Friday.  There is a change log, as usual,
this time in H.3.9.  There are two additional issues that the WG
should address at some point, perhaps during IETF 112, or we
could decide to put them off:

(1) As noted in my exchange with Ale a couple of hours ago, we
need to figure out just what 5321bis is going to say about the
A/S, where to put in forward pointers, etc.  To make doing
anything at all easier in the future, I've put a reference to
the A/S [1] into the document but it is not anchored.  Instead
there is assorted text, some temporary that either asserts what
will be in the A/S, asks questions about it, or involves
conditionals about whether it will be produced.

(2) For someone trying to find information in RFC 5321, it is
very difficult to navigate without the fourth-level sections
(the ones with, e.g., the command names in them) in the Table of
Contents and/or a working index.  As of today, the bug(s) that
prevented those TOC entries from appearing in RFC 5321 are still
present and the index is still tied to page numbers that do not
appear in the PDF form at all.  The HTML is ok, but I have no
idea what would happen if a given term were indexed from more
than one location.  The question for the WG is whether we are
willing to live with whatever the state of the tools happens to
be when the document is ready or do we want to push for
something more usable.  

best,
  john

[1] Reference [51] in Section 10.2, "Informative References"