Subject: [Emailcore] draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5321bis-06

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 00:24:45 -0500

Hi.

Per discussions with the co-chairs and on the mailing list, -06
has been posted.  See Appendix H.3.10 for a summary of changes.  

A major change mentioned there is that after strong comments/
advice from Carsten Bormann and help from John Levine, the
source has been converted from xml2rfc v2 to v3 and tuned a bit.
That has resulted in some major improvements as compared to
bug-induced problems in v2, including having the Index reference
sections, not pages, but also to be sorted such that all upper
case characters are considered to precede lower case ones rather
than being equivalent (I believe that is a bug, but don't know
if it was intentional).   It has also resulted in some changes,
such as mapping what appeared earlier as 
   [[CREFnn: ...text... ]]
into 
   // ...text...

Those types of changes are a little hostile to trying to
understand diffs, but it probably had to happen sooner or later.

See you all Wednesday, I hope.
best,
   john

---

From: Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:36:13 +0900

On 2021-11-08 14:24, John C Klensin wrote:

> if it was intentional).

Even if it was intentional (which I hope not), it's clearly a bug.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Nov 2021 07:33:11 -0500

>Even if it was intentional (which I hope not), it's clearly a bug.

It's what RFC 7991 says, but I think that is a typo:

   When the prep tool is creating index content, it collects the items
   in a case-sensitive fashion for both the item and subitem level.

https://trac.ietf.org/trac/xml2rfc/ticket/680

R's,
John

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 08:04:04 -0500

--On Monday, November 8, 2021 07:33 -0500 John Levine
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> bug-induced problems in v2, including having the Index
>>> reference sections, not pages, but also to be sorted such
>>> that all upper case characters are considered to precede
>>> lower case ones rather than being equivalent (I believe that
>>> is a bug, but don't know if it was intentional).
>> 
>    When the prep tool is creating index content, it collects
> the items    in a case-sensitive fashion for both the item and
> subitem level.
> 

John,
Agreed -- I didn't have time to do the research and check 7991
last night, but if feels to me like this is not the only thing
in that doc that turn out to be problems once we look carefully
at the outputs of the implementations.  Inany event, thanks for
generating the ticket.

   john