Subject: Re: [Emailcore] Ticket #21: G.9. Revisiting Quoted Strings

From: Viktor Dukhovni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 13:33:07 -0500

> On 24 Nov 2021, at 8:28 am, Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> In Section "4.1.2. Command Argument Syntax", the 3rd paragraph after the ABNF:
> 
>   Note that the backslash, "\", is a quote character, which is used to
>   indicate that the next character is to be used literally (instead of
>   its normal interpretation). For example, "Joe\,Smith" indicates a
>   single nine-character user name string with the comma being the
>   fourth character of that string.

The above does not strike me as a good example, because quoted string
"Joe,Smith" needs no <\> to make the <,> an ordinary character.  The
normal interpretation of <,> in a quoted string is just literal.

A better example would be either "...\"..." or "...\\...", because
otherwise inside quotes almost nothing else needs escaping.

Since quoted-pairs occur only inside quoted-strings, suggesting that
commas need escaping looks more confusing than useful.

-- 
	Viktor.