Subject: [Emailcore] rfc5321bis draft appendix F.2 (source routes)

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:06:02 -0500

Hi.

I'm still feeling a bit vague about how much material about
source routes should be removed completely as distinct from more
thoroughly deprecating them and consolidating discussion into
the appendix (F.2 in draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5321bis-07).

As part of getting -08 together, I've eliminated (I hope) all
discussion of them except for cross references to the appendix
and consolidated material, including material from the former
Appendix C, into that appendix.  I have retained some
informative material in that appendix to facilitate discussion
and because it is more easily removed or rewritten than put back
in if prematurely removed.

The current working version of Appendix F.2 is attached.
Comments and suggestions welcome.  However, please don't spend
time on formatting.  I know it leaves something to be desired;
either I or the RFC Editor will sort that out after we have
final text.

Plan and schedule FYI:  draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5321bis-08 is
intended to incorporate changes discussed and generally agreed
during the 9 December interim meeting.  It includes some things
that appeared to be settled during the interim but about which
there has been further discussion so the changes should be
considered tentative.  It is unlikely that, except for an
updated version of the attached, additional discussion since the
interim will be reflected until -09.  Assuming that there is at
least some discussion of the attached material and that I hear
from the co-chairs about the summary of changes I sent them, I
expect to get -08 posted a bit before the end of the year.

best,
   john