Subject: [eman] Issue 1: terminology

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:14:47 +0100

Dear all,

Let's try to solve the specific issue of terminology, as many documents 
depend on this.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eman-framework-00 gives it a try. 
Please review and comment.

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:35:01 +0000

Dear all,

I have a few comments on eman terminology. I will send them in separate
emails. Here is the first one on the term PowerMonitor.

>   Power Monitor
>    
>   A Power Monitor is a component within a system of components
>   that provides power, draws power, or reports energy consumption
>   on behalf of another Power Monitor.

I think that power monitor is a good term for a component that is capable of
providing power information on its own or other devices power.

However, the current definition also calls a device a Power Monitor that is
just an energy consumer, even if the device does not have any capability for
power monitoring or reporting. With this definition EVERY node in a network
for which we manage energy is a Power Monitor. The right term for this is
"managed node".

Here is my proposal for the definition of a power monitor:

   Power Monitor

   A power monitor has access to energy-related information concerning
   powered devices and is able to report this information to energy
   management systems.

This may be extended with further properties of power monitors, such as

   The power monitor may also provide information on identities and
   properties of powered devices to the management system.

   A power monitor may store energy-related information and process it,
   for example, for aggregating information or for extracting statistics
   that are provided to the management system.

==
Juergen

On 05.01.11 15:14  "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: "Mielke, William F (Bill)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:50:28 -0600

For what it is worth I agree with Juergen on this point.  The term Power
Monitor should be applied only to those entities which provide the
monitoring.  Whether those entities are themselves producers or consumers of
power seems incidental to the concept of being a monitor.  I like Juergen's
definitions below.

Cheers,

William F. Mielke
Alcatel-Lucent
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
6200 East Broad Street
Room: 4B01-1V
Columbus, OH  43213-1530
Email: [email-masked]
Phone: 614 367 5628
Fax: 614 367 5965

"Live like you're going to die tomorrow.
 Learn like you're going to live forever."

    - Albert Einstein

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Juergen Quittek
> Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:35 AM
> To: Benoit Claise; eman mailing list
> Subject: Re: [eman] Issue 1: terminology: PowerMonitor
> 
> Dear all,
>