Subject: [eman] js review of draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-01

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:41:29 +0200

Hi,

here are my review comments for draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-01
(ENERGY-AWARE-MIB):

- Generally, I suggest to use zero-length string instead of null
  string.

- You can't set pmParentId to a "null string" since the PowerMonitorId
  type does not allow this.

- Is PowerMonitorKeywordList really going to be a binary string?

- Is the persistence toggle really global for the pmTable?

- It is not clear to me how pmEthPortIndex is to be used. Is the idea
  that the agent implementing the ENERGY-AWARE-MIB refers to a local
  port but the measured data is remote? How does
  PethPsePortIndexOrZero related to the port number of the bridge MIB?
  How does it related to a physical entity port?

- The document talks about the EnergyAwareDeviceMIB, but it seems that
  this is the ENERGY-AWARE-MIB?

- PethPsePortGroupIndexOrZero lacks a reference to RFC 3621

- In general, I am often not sure which objects are local and which
  are remote or possible remote to the agent.

- I note that pmName is read-write while entPhysicalName is read-only,
  that is entPhysicalName is the machine local generated identifier
  while pmName seems to be a user selectable. Note that entPhysicalAlias
  is a writable handle, but more restricted in length.

- Is the UUID (pmPowerMonitorId) going to be included in
  entPhysicalUris?  If so, what if someone changes entPhysicalUris?
  pmPowerMonitorId is read-ony but entPhysicalUris is read-write.

- If pmName does not related to entPhysicalAlias, does
  pmRoleDescription replicate entPhysicalAlias?

- What is the intended usage of pmMgmtMacAddress, pmMgmtAddressType,
  pmMgmtAddress, pmMgmtDNSName? If the idea is to guide further SNMP
  access, then the information is incomplete. How are these objects
  populated? Since these are read-only, the information must be
  discoverable somehow. Why do we need both a pmMgmtDNSName and a
  pmMgmtAddress?  Note that InetAddress can represent DNS names. If
  both are provided, which one should be used?

- How does pmAlternateKey related to entPhysicalName?

- How is a component modeled that is both a power meter and consumer?
  Since pmPowerCategory is an enum, you need two table entries. If so,
  which objects are going to be equal? How do I find out that multiple
  entries belong to the same component?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>