Subject: [eman] Harmonizing standard and vendor power states

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:52:33 -0500

Hi,

To address the tension between using standard enumerated power
states and the finer-grained power states many vendors actually
support, we used the following approach in our recent IEEE-ISTO
PWG Imaging System Power Management Model and companion
concrete PWG Imaging System Power MIB:

(1) We standardized on the set of DMTF CIM power states.

(2) We multiplied all standard DMTF CIM power state enumerated
values by 10 and inserted 5 vendor extension power states (i.e.,
substates) for the base stable states.

(3) So our base state 'on(20)' can be augmented by up to 5 more
substates:  'onVendor1(21)' through 'onVendor5(25)'.

(4) We defined a rule that actual power consumption in vendor
extension states MUST be strictly ordered, such that for example
'onVendor1(21)' MUST consume equal or greater power than the
base state 'on(20)' - then for interoperability all vendor extension
states can be collapsed into their corresponding base states for
mapping to DMTF CIM interfaces.

(5) We defined a PowerSupport group of properties that gave more
details about each base or vendor extension stable state.

PowSupportEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
        powSupportPowerState            PowPowerStateTC,
        powSupportPowerInactiveWatts    Integer32,
        powSupportPowerActiveWatts      Integer32,
        powSupportCanAcceptJobs         TruthValue,
        powSupportCanProcessJobs        TruthValue,
        powSupportCanRequestPowerState  TruthValue,
        powSupportCanUseInterfaces      DisplayString,
        powSupportPowerPeakWatts        Integer32
    }

Perhaps this approach would be useful in the IETF EMAN effort.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto:[email-masked]
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:43:11 +0100

Hi Ira,

Thank you for this input!

I have one question: How do you model energy storages, 
such as UPS systems or batteries in PCs?

Thanks,

    Juergen

Am 08.03.2011 um 20:52 schrieb Ira McDonald:

> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:59:01 -0500

Hi Juergen,

Unfortunately, batteries were out-of-scope for our
printer and multifunction imaging device power
management project.

With the exception of some low-end portable scanners
and printers (not network-connected), office imaging
devices don't use batteries operationally (i.e., the only
batteries back up the clock and configuration memory).

And office imaging devices also are rarely configured on
UPS systems (because of their high power drain when
operating).

Cheers,
- Ira