Subject: [eman] New version of draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-01

From: john parello <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:14:00 -0700

Hi,

We posted a new version of the energy aware mib and request time to 
review at IETF-80

The differences / modifications are:

- Added UML to show base information model
- Added identification objects and reference links which clear up 
references to other mibs, NMS' and persistence
- Enumerated data specific to parent or child
- Revised the capabilities to ProxyAbilities for clarity and format

Open Issues we'd like to discuss:

1. Length and format of PowerMonitorId. The pmPowerMonitorID
should be a unique id that identfies the device in the	universe. A UUID 
using RFC 4122 seems to suffice. However an x.509 certificate conforming 
to RFC 5280 could also be appropriate. We have specified the field as 
variable 16 bytes but would like feedback and consensus on the format 
that is appropriate.	
			
2. Do we want separate tables, as depicted in figure 1, as opposed to a 
single pmTable?	

3. Should the pmMgmtMacAddress, pmMgmtAddress,pmMgmtAddressType, and 
pmMgmtDNSName also be implemented for Power Monitor Parent?

Thanks
(Authors)

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:51:32 +0100

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 07:14:00PM -0700, john parello wrote:
 
> should be a unique id that identfies the device in the	universe. A
> UUID using RFC 4122 seems to suffice. However an x.509 certificate
> conforming to RFC 5280 could also be appropriate. We have specified
> the field as variable 16 bytes but would like feedback and consensus
> on the format that is appropriate.	

Here is how the ENTITY-MIB does it:

entPhysicalUris OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
            "This object contains additional identification information
            about the physical entity.  The object contains URIs and,
            therefore, the syntax of this object must conform to RFC
            3986, section 2.

            Multiple URIs may be present and are separated by white
            space characters.  Leading and trailing white space
            characters are ignored.

            If no additional identification information is known
            about the physical entity or supported, the object is not
            instantiated.  A zero length octet string may also be
            returned in this case."
    REFERENCE
            "RFC 3986, Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic
            Syntax, section 2, August 1998."
    ::= { entPhysicalEntry 18 }

> 2. Do we want separate tables, as depicted in figure 1, as opposed
> to a single pmTable?	
> 

It is somewhat unclear to me what I am supposed to do with these
addresses / names. If your intention is to point to other SNMP agents,
then you should copy from the entLogicalTable. In general, this MIB
module still looks largely like a reinvention of the ENTITY-MIB to me.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Chris Verges" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 06:48:14 -0700

If we can use a format that is compatible with entPhysicalUris, it would
be a great benefit as the UUID can be reused for both ENTITY-MIB and
EMAN-MIB.  John, is the PowerMonitorId proposal a super-set of
entPhysicalUris?  (That is, can PowerMonitorId represent a value stored
in entPhysicalUris without requiring any changes to the format?)

Thanks,
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Juergen Schoenwaelder
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:52 AM
To: john parello
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [eman] New version of draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-01

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:58:35 -0700

HI Chris,

The URI is more akin to the altKey that we defined (perhaps defer to that for altKey) as it can be a list of identifiers. The MonitorID is intended to be a single unique identifier.

Jp

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Verges [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tue 3/15/2011 6:48 AM
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder; John Parello (jparello)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [eman] New version of draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-01

Thanks,
Chris

-----Original Message-----

/js