Subject: [eman] js review of draft-claise-energy-monitoring-mib-07

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:11:50 +0200

Hi,

here are some review comments for draft-claise-energy-monitoring-mib-07.
I think some of the introductory material is really helpful to understand
the ENERGY-AWARE-MIB - perhaps that material should be moved to the other
document.

- It seems POWER-MONITOR-MIB does not require implementation of the
  ENERGY-AWARE-MIB but then it seems all the introductory examples in
  the document assume the ENERGY-AWARE-MIB to be implemented. This is
  kind of confusing, see already my initial comments about moving
  some of this text into the ENERGY-AWARE-MIB document.

- What is the persistency of changes to pmPowerState or
  pmPowerStateEnterReason?

- What is the persistency of pmEnergyParametersTable? Should there
  be a RowStatus column?

- Should the pmPowerStateChange notification also contain the
  pmPowerActualState? Can it be that say pmPowerActualState changes
  without affecting pmPowerManufacturerActualPowerState?  Or can
  pmPowerManufacturerActualPowerState changes without affecting
  pmPowerActualState?

  Right now, the description seems to say the notification is only
  generated if pmPowerManufacturerActualPowerState changes. Can we
  perhaps do away with pmPowerManufacturerActualPowerState? This is
  likely related to the bigger power state discussion...

- How fast can pmPowerStateChange notifications be generated? Is
  there a need to think about a throttling mechanism?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>