Subject: [eman] comments on draft-ietf-eman-requirements-01

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:32:36 +0000

Hi Juergen

I have read the draft-ietf-eman-requirements-01 draft. The draft includes
important requirements. However, I have two comments:

*) in my opinion the requirement on Power State Monitoring described in
Section 3.4.1 is only focussing on individual devices, i.e, power
monitor children. According to the discussions that we have had in the
eman meeting, the types of powers states associated with the Power
Monitor Parents can be different than the ones used for the Power
Monitor Children. This is due to the fact that a Power Monitor Parent
needs to aggregate the Power states associated with its Power Monitor
Children. Is it possible to include an explanatory paragraph that
emphasizes the fact that types of the power states in the Power Monitor
Parents and Power Monitor Child can be different?

*) there are situations where a device, e.g., a battery, sometimes
supplies energy and other times the same device consumes energy. Is it
possible to include a requirement that will ensure that the direction of
energy to/from a device can also be monitored?

Best regards,
Georgios

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 18:30:51 +0200

Hi Georgios,

Thank you for reviewing the draft.
Please find replies inline.

> important requirements. However, I have two comments:

Great. Thanks,

> Parents and Power Monitor Child can be different?

What would be the requirement here?
Would we require that reports from parents are different to the ones from children?
Or would we require that parents need to have aggregation functions?
Which functions would we require?

> energy to/from a device can also be monitored?

Yes, this is a very good point.
We should add a requirement for the measurement of the direction of the energy flow.

Thanks and best regards,

    Juergen

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 08:22:26 +0000

Hi Juergen

Thanks for your observations!

Please see in line!

>Which functions would we require?

Georgios: The parents will need to support aggregation functions in order
to aggregate the power states maintained by their children. Moreover,
the reports from parents could be different than the ones from children.
This will however, depend on how the aggregation functions will be
implemented. It is however needed to have requirements that accomodate
both (1) the aggregation functions at the parents and (2) reports from
parents needed to report the information associated with these
aggregated power states.

>We should add a requirement for the measurement of the direction of the energy flow.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Georgios