Subject: Re: [eman] I-D Action:draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-00.txt

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 05:37:20 -0500

Hi,

Here is a quick review of the battery MIB. 

1.      Firstly,  given that the battery  provides backup power for a
device and there should be a reference (index)  to the device  for which
the battery is providing back-up power. 

Otherwise, the MIB module seems as a standalone in terms battery power
monitoring for some device ? 

There is a link of the batteryIndex to the entPhysicalIndex ; where do
you assume that the entityMIB implemented ?   Note that entityMIB does
not list battery as one of the entPhysicalClass. 

2.      The reference to be updated.   [I-D.ietf-eman-framework]
"Claise, B., Parello, J., and L. Silver, "Energy Management  Framework",
draft-ietf-eman-framework-01 (work in  progress), March 2011." 

3.      The context seems to be missing  (some text needed) before the
bullets 

   o  the current charge of a battery,

   o  the age of a battery (charging cycles),

   o  the state of a battery (e.g. being re-charged),

   o  last usage of a battery,

   o  maximum energy provided by a battery (remaining and total

      capacity).

4.      A small nit is battery temperature - is this relevant for EMAN ?
+-- r-n Integer32   batteryTemperature(14)  

5.      First the name of the object can be renamed -
batteryCurrentCurrent  ?  

Secondly, it is not clear, what is the purpose of this MIB object or the
distinction between this object and batteryCurrentCharge ?

6.      The notion of batteryType - primary (not  being rechargeable) is
confusing - and the secondary Is  only rechargeable ?  

How would the batteryChargingstate be reflected for a primary battery  ?
Will a primary battery be charged when it is drained out ? 

Thanks

Mouli

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Juergen Quittek
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 10:30 PM
To: [email-masked] list
Subject: Re: [eman] I-D Action:draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-00.txt

Dear all,

As you can see from the previous posting, we now have a WG draft on the
battery MIB. 

It is a revision of draft-quittek-eman-batter-mib-00. Changes are based
on comments received as four reviews on the mailing list and at our
session in Prague. Please find a summary of all changes at the end of
this message. 

I look forward to your comments and questions on the new version.

And I would be grateful for proposals on how to solve the remaining open
issues listed in Section 8.

Changes between draft-quittek-eman-battery-mib-00

and draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-00 are:

  - addressed relation to eman-framework

  - addressed monitoring of multiple batteries in a device

  - clarified that CMOS batteries are not explicitly in scope

  - change use of Entity MIB index from RECOMMENDED to REQUIRED

  - moved battery types from enumeration to IANA registration

      - this required some new text in new section 4 and in

        the IANA considerations

  - moved enumeration values 'unknown' and 'other' to the top

    of all enumerations

  - renamed batteryState to batteryChargingState

  - removed battery stated 'full' and 'empty'

  - mentioned that primary batteries are not re-chargeable

  - renamed batteryRemainingCapacity to batteryActualCapacity

  - fixed data types o some managed objects

  - added object batteryTemperature

  - removed object batteryCurrentChargePercentage

      - just using batteryCurrentCharge should be sufficient

  - changed object batteryLowAlarmPercentage to

    batteryLowAlarmCharge

  - changed MAX-ACCESS of all four objects with notifications

    thresholds from read-only to read-write

      - batteryLowAlarmCharge

      - batteryLowAlarmVoltage

      - batteryReplacementAlarmCapacity

      - atteryReplacementAlarmCycles

  - made implementation of batteryAlarmThresholdsGroup optional

  - fixed wrong group names in compliance statements

  - removed all old open issues except "Define Charging Cycle"

  - added new open issues

      - Writable Notification Thresholds

      - Re-arming batteryLowNotification

      - Add Charging Data of Batteries?

      - Add batteryHealth?

      - Battery Identifier

Thanks,

    Juergen

Am 08.04.2011 um 18:45 schrieb [email-masked]:

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Energy Management Working Group of the
IETF.

            Title           : Definition of Managed Objects for Battery
Monitoring
            Author(s)       : J. Quittek, et al.
            Filename        : draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-00.txt
            Pages           : 22
            Date            : 2011-04-08

This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
In particular, it defines managed objects that provide information on
the status of batteries in managed devices.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
<Mail-Anhang>_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman