Subject: [eman] Terminology comments

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 00:59:36 -0400

John--

   Thanks much for putting together the Terminology draft.

General
--Separate a definition from commentary on a definition.  I am all in favor
of including comments.  A separate paragraph for each suffices to separate
the definition and comments.

Energy Monitoring
--Add "Classification," before context (this to speak to the topic of
"Identity" I have raised previously but which seems to be an overloaded
term).

Energy and Power
--http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/eman/current/msg00562.html
I posted some IEEE definitions in this message.  IEEE seems closer to
energy than ISO.  IEC is also an alternative.  The IEC conveniently
provides:
  http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/welcome?openform
Unfortunately, the "energy" and "power definitions from this are not
particularly useful, so I would stick with IEEE.  It does define:
"(electrical) energy" as "the magnitude of an electricity supply,
expressed in kilowatthours"

Energy Control
--"in order to optimize or ensure its efficiency" - this is one important
reason
for control but not the only one.  I would move this to a comment and
include
other reasons, such as basic functionality, emergency conditions, etc.

Energy Managed Object
--Change to "Powered Device".  The definition says it is a device (and not a
component).  We care about it because it is powered.

Energy Managed Object Identification
--Move classification into its own term, separate from identity.  As the
definition notes, identity is unique (or at least ideally so) parameters.
Classification is about membership in a group of devices.

Energy Management Domain
--Change to "Power Domain".  Change definition to "An Power Domain is a
name or name space that groups Powered Devices according to common
power delivery infrastructure so that they share a common fate and
their consumption is aggregated."
--A note should observe that devices with multiple power inlets will not
have a defined Power Domain, but that each power interface will be labeled
with the Power Domain that it is part of.
--The example is consistent as-is with the above edits.

Dependency Relationship
--This definition says that an EMO may be a component, whereas the EMO
definition says it is a device.  Some EMAN capabilities apply to devices,
some to components, and many to both.  The term "entity" is suitable for
referring to the combination of devices and components.  We need to be clear
about which we are covering when any of these terms are use.

Power State
--"A Power State can be viewed as" to "Setting a Power State is".
--Or better yet, adopt the first sentence from IEEE 1621:
    3.1.7 power state: A condition or mode of a device that broadly
    characterizes its capabilities, power consumption, power indicator
    coding, and responsiveness to input.
For reference, the rest of the definition is:
    Basic power states are on, sleep, and off. Devices may have multiple
    instances of one or more of the basic states (e.g. light sleep, deep
    sleep), and need not have any sleep states. All devices have at least
    one on state, and at least one off state (unplugged). The term “power
    mode” may be substituted and has identical meaning.

Nameplate Power
--In my line of work, this refers literally to the power level put on the
nameplate on the back of the products, sometimes specified in W, and
sometimes
only in amps.  I have often been told that this is sometimes the safety
rating of the chassis, sometimes the safety rating of the power supply,
or something else.  I would go with some text saying it is the maximum
power level declared by the manufacturer, leaving it open as to where to
find it (since some products do not have nameplates).
--The definition offered may be a useful value to have, but I would
choose a different name.

I assume that we will end up with a bunch more definitions.  Following
is one:

Simple Device
--A network-connected Powered Device with a single power inlet and no
power outlets.
(The point of adding this definition is that the vast majority of energy
use will be from devices like this but most complexity in EMAN is from
non-simple
devices).

-- 
*Bruce Nordman*
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman
[email-masked]
510-486-7089
m: 510-501-7943