Subject: [eman] Applicability comments

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:07:41 -0700

In March I drafted content that I felt was useful and/or necessary for an

applicability statement.  This was done from the perspective of what is

needed for understanding and improving energy use in IT networks and

buildings.  That content can be seen at

draft-nordman-eman-energy-perspective-01

It did not attempt to cover content already in the current version of the
other

draft.

The current other draft is: draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-02.

There has been some convergence in content since the previous draft.

It seems possible and desirable to merge the two drafts.

A few of these points are covered in the current other draft, though with

different language and emphasis, such as the importance of reporting

“identity” and classification, and the relevance and status of the Ecma

Smart Data Centre project.

Many other points from energy-perspective are not covered in the other
draft:

-At least one document published by EMAN should be readily accessible to a

   wide range of audiences, particularly those focused on energy use, most
of who

   have little or no knowledge of network technology.  The Applicability
Statement

   seems to be the only suitable one in our charter.

-At the core of EMAN is simple reporting of power/energy about a simple
device.

-The EMAN protocol can be used in “series” relaying up information through

   any number of intermediate devices to an EMS, collecting and/or
aggregating.

-The NMS is out of scope.

-Any energy-using device is in scope (traditional IT, other IP devices,
non-IP

   devices).

-The management system begins with a discovery process, to understand

   what devices are in the building, and which implement EMAN.  This needs

   to be redone periodically.

  -Further details on how discovery may be implemented.

-Devices may report intermittently due to being in a low-power state,

   being portable, or leaving the building permanently.

-Ultimately, one key outlet for EMAN information is presentation (via an

   application) to people.

-A later version of EMAN should consider extension to forms of energy

  other than electricity.

-The Use Cases for EMAN can be viewed along three primary axes:

  -Management context: loosely, highly, or hybrid.

  -Building type: residential, commercial, data center, vehicle, other.

  -Device type: IT, other electronic, non-electronic.

-Power distribution domains are becoming more varied and complex.

-For measurement standards, IEC 62301 is widely used and relevant.

-IANA may need to establish an enumeration of device types.

-There are security issues related to control functions in changing

  what services a device provides, and potentially perturbing the

  power system with widely coordinated changes in energy demand.

All of these points seem suitable and appropriate to be in a working

group draft for Applicability.

A few detailed comments on draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-02

follow.

1.1

–it seems unnecessary to define energy here – other drafts will do that.

-proxying and aggregation are mixed. They are distinct functions and

  one device can implement one, the other, or both.

2.

-the “Scenarios and Target Devices” section mixes specific device types,

  with methods of powering devices.  It would be helpful to separate

  these as well as to include the “use contexts” from the energy draft.

  There is also some redundancy in this section.

4.

-other standards should be divided into measurement standards,

   reporting standards, and other standards.

It may be that it would be helpful to create another document

as output from the working group that is the primary document

intended to be accessible to many readers, and to include detailed

discussions of implementation scenarios.  This would pull out some

of the content described above and add to it.

--Bruce (as contributor; I am off email Monday->Saturday)

-- 
*Bruce Nordman*
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman
[email-masked]
510-486-7089
m: 510-501-7943

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 06:48:40 -0500

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your comments.  

Most of it seem to concern what should be in an "Applicability
Statement" draft. 

Looking at the EMAN WG Charter

6. Applicability statement
The EMAN WG will develop an applicability statement, describing the
variety of applications that can use the energy framework and associated
MIB modules. Potential examples are building networks, home energy
gateway, etc. Finally, the document will also discuss relationships of
the framework to other architectures and frameworks (such as smartgrid).
The applicability statement will explain the relationship between the
work in this WG and the other existing standards such as those from the
IEC, ANSI, DMTF, and others.

The Applicability Statement draft is based on the scope given in the WG
Charter. 

While I think an intro to EMAN or Energy issues would be quite useful, I
am not sure  the WG Charter does not seem to call for such a draft. 

In our version of the Applicability Statement draft, the first part is
an introduction which attempts to set the context and some minimal
terminology so that this is a self contained document.

Section 2 is the Use cases which consists of several network scenarios
where Energy Monitoring can be applied with concrete examples: 

Network devices

Attached devices

Smart PDUs 

Building networks

Home Energy gateways 

Data centers 

....

It is possible to add new use cases or scenarios where Energy Monitoring
can be applied.  

I think these are illustrative network examples and should be accessible
to all readers. 

BTW, I do have figures (network diagrams for each scenario).  I have
left those figures In the interest of brevity.

Secondly, there was a discussion in EMAN WG meeting @ Prague on the
possible use of Entity MIB  and there was a need to list the network use
cases of Energy monitoring.

The use cases are listed with sufficient detail, so that it is possible
to check if we use Entity MIB for these use cases.  We can add those
figures if it would help in the modeling work. 

Use case patterns section is an abstraction of the network examples - to
distill the unique patterns in the network scenarios. 

Finally, some of the Standards section consists of the relevant
standards that are used in EMAN WG drafts.  

I agree with your comment, we can improve the Standards section.

If there are new IEC standards that need to be considered (also Michael
Suchoff's comment)  we shall review those IEC  standards and revise the
draft. 

You raise a good point on Security issues related to Energy control.
Some of that is discussed in the Monitoring MIB draft, which has a
section on Security for Read/Write variables. 

Thanks

Mouli

 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Bruce Nordman
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 11:38 AM
To: eman mailing list
Subject: [eman] Applicability comments

In March I drafted content that I felt was useful and/or necessary for
an 

It did not attempt to cover content already in the current version of
the other

draft.

The current other draft is:
draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-02.

A few of these points are covered in the current other draft, though
with

"identity" and classification, and the relevance and status of the Ecma 

-At least one document published by EMAN should be readily accessible to
a

   wide range of audiences, particularly those focused on energy use,
most of who

-The EMAN protocol can be used in "series" relaying up information
through

   devices).

   what devices are in the building, and which implement EMAN.  This
needs

   application) to people.

  other than electricity. 

follow.  

1.1

-it seems unnecessary to define energy here - other drafts will do that.

2.

-the "Scenarios and Target Devices" section mixes specific device types,

  these as well as to include the "use contexts" from the energy draft.

4.

-- 
Bruce Nordman
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman <http://eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman> 
[email-masked]
510-486-7089
m: 510-501-7943

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 01:56:24 -0400

Hi Bruce,

I believe that there is a difference between the applicability statement 
as defined in the charter, and education to the people "who have little 
or no knowledge of network technology". For example, I would see your 
point about "The management system begins with a discovery process, to 
understand what devices are in the building, and which implement EMAN.  
This needs to be redone periodically." as part of the education, and not 
necessarily the applicability statement.

Also, I don't think that an applicability statement should assume 
statement about the future WG developments (referring to your comment "A 
later version of EMAN should consider extension to forms of energy  
other than electricity")., but should concentrate on how the technology 
could be used today.

Wrt "IANA may need to establish an enumeration of device types. ", if 
IANA is involved it should be in the framework or in one of the MIB 
documents.

Regards, Benoit
> applicability statement.This was done from the perspective of what is
>
> buildings.That content can be seen at
>
> have little or no knowledge of network technology.The Applicability 
> Statement
>
> -At the core of EMAN is simple reporting of power/energy about a 
> simple device.
>
> -The EMAN protocol can be used in "series" relaying up information through
>
> -Any energy-using device is in scope (traditional IT, other IP 
> devices, non-IP
>
> devices).
>
> what devices are in the building, and which implement EMAN.This needs
>
> --it seems unnecessary to define energy here -- other drafts will do that.
>
> with methods of powering devices.It would be helpful to separate
>
> discussions of implementation scenarios.This would pull out some
>
> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman