Subject: [eman] Requirements comments, part III

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 00:25:59 -0700

Part III:

 7. Reporting on Other Powered Entities

  We need some additional terms here to streamline the text (and ultimately

  our thinking).  I nominate:

    “powered entity” (which may be “self-reporting”)

    “reporting entity” (can be “self” or “other”)

    “other entity” (a reporting entity reporting not on itself; likely a
different

        term would be better for this)

    “controlled entity”, “controlling entity” (section 8.1)

    “switched entity”, “switching entity” (section 8.2)

  Also, there are two cases for an “other entity”.  One is where the powered

  entity cannot report the value in question itself (either because it can’t
report

  anything, or doesn’t know the value in question, e.g. when metering is
external).

  The second is where the powered entity can report, but the other entity is

  doing the reporting for some convenience.  We need to be aware of both
even

  if the framework does not need to make the distinction.

  There may be multiple other reporting entities, not just a single one.

  Do components of devices ever report, or do only devices do the reporting?

  This seems like an important point.

8. Controlling other powered entities

  Do components ever do controlling or are they ever controlled directly,

  or is it only entire devices that are controlled?

9. Security considerations

  Should there be any discussion of the sensitivity of the content of the

  monitoring data, or only whether the data in general can be accessed

  by unauthorized parties?

12.3 Inlet/outlet combinations

  A socket should not change from inlet to outlet.  There should be both

  logically existing, with at least one always zero.  That they share the
same

  physical wire is not important.

12.4 Aggregation functions

  Yes, there should be requirements for this.  Aggregation is the summing

  across multiple entities.  Reporting this sum is just a normal reporting
operation,

  though reporting an aggregate value is never self-reporting.

12.5 Add defn of ‘demand’?

  No.

12.8

  IEEE 1621, “Standard for User Interface Elements in Power Control of

  Electronic Devices Employed in Office/Consumer Environments”,

  2004 (reaffirmed 2009).

  IEEE 802.3az, IEEE LAN/MAN Standards Committee of the IEEE Computer
Society. “Draft P802.3azTM/D3.0, Draft Standard for Information technology—
Telecommunications and information exchange between systems—Local and
metropolitan area networks—Specific requirements. Part 3: Carrier Sense
Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) Access Method and
Physical Layer Specifications Amendment: Media Access Control parameters,
Physical Layers and management parameters for Energy-Efficient Ethernet.”
(September, 2010)

-- 
*Bruce Nordman*
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman
[email-masked]
510-486-7089
m: 510-501-7943

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:56:16 +0000

Am 08.07.11 09:25 schrieb "Bruce Nordman" unter <[email-masked]>:

>    ³powered entity² (which may be ³self-reporting²)
>    ³reporting entity² (can be ³self² or ³other²)
>    ³other entity² (a reporting entity reporting not on itself; likely a
> different
>    ³controlled entity², ³controlling entity² (section 8.1)
>    ³switched entity², ³switching entity² (section 8.2)
>  
>   Also, there are two cases for an ³other entity². One is where the powered
>   entity cannot report the value in question itself (either because it can¹t
> report
>   anything, or doesn¹t know the value in question, e.g. when metering is
> external).
>   doing the reporting for some convenience.  We need to be aware of both even

OK, this is needs some time to finalize terms.
Let's do it in revision -05. Added to open issues.
  
>   or is it only entire devices that are controlled?

Both should be possible.

>   monitoring data, or only whether the data in general can be accessed

Yes. This is missing. We should revise them. Added top open issues.
 
>   logically existing, with at least one always zero. That they share the same

the connector for a battery can have both directions.

>   though reporting an aggregate value is never self-reporting.

Right. We just need to elaborate the requirements.

> 12.5 Add defn of Œdemand¹?
>   No.

This is a controversial issue in the WG.
 
> 12.8
>   IEEE 1621, ³Standard for User Interface Elements in Power Control of
>   Electronic Devices Employed in Office/Consumer Environments²,
>   2004 (reaffirmed 2009).
>  
>   IEEE 802.3az, IEEE LAN/MAN Standards Committee of the IEEE Computer Society.
> ³Draft P802.3azTM/D3.0, Draft Standard for Information technology‹
> Telecommunications and information exchange between systems‹Local and
> metropolitan area networks‹Specific requirements. Part 3: Carrier Sense
> Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) Access Method and Physical
> Layer Specifications Amendment: Media Access Control parameters, Physical
> Layers and management parameters for Energy-Efficient Ethernet.² (September,
> 2010)

Thanks, I will add them when revising all references in revision -05.

    Juergen