Subject: Re: [eman] new revision of eman requirements - open issue 12.3:timeseries of energy/power values

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:52:16 -0700

+1

Information should be independent of push/pull protocol.  The protocols
could be SNMP/IPFIX or HTTP/SMS.

IMO the requirement is that any framework or information model should
not prevent either push or pull (or both) to be used.

JP

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Mielke, William F (Bill)
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 12:35 PM
To: eman mailing list
Subject: Re: [eman] new revision of eman requirements - open issue
12.3:timeseries of energy/power values

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf 
> Of Juergen Quittek
> 
> ...
>
> Is there an explicit requirement for having pull or for having push 
> for time series of power and energy values? I don't see it.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
>     Juergen

>From my perspective I think that the fundamental requirement is that
there must be a means of reporting time series data for power and/or
energy values as measured at the device (and perhaps optionally some
load and quality metrics as well).  Either a push or a pull mechanism
can be used to satisfy this requirement.  I don't believe that there is
a requirement to support specifically either one or both of these
mechanisms.  I do believe, however, that there is value in having the
framework and the MIBs specifying how each of these mechanisms (push or
pull) should work IF a given device chooses to support them.

For Pull the mechanism is obvious and is nothing more that SNMP applied
to a table of values defined by some MIB that we specify.

Push is less obvious given the state of SNMP.  IPFIX has been posited as
a possible solution for Push and I don't have a problem with our
articulating that as one possible solution for Push, possibly even the
preferred solution, but I would like to keep the door open to
alternatives in this case (but that is just my personal preference).

William F. Mielke
Alcatel-Lucent
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
6200 East Broad Street
Room: 4B01-1V
Columbus, OH  43213-1530
Email: [email-masked]
Phone: 614 367 5628
Fax: 614 367 5965

"Live like you're going to die tomorrow.
 Learn like you're going to live forever."

    - Albert Einstein

_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman