Subject: [eman] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 13:45:01 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Energy Management Working Group of the IETF.

    Title         : Power and Energy Monitoring MIB
    Author(s)     : M. Chandramouli, et al
    Filename      : draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-00.txt
    Pages         : 75
    Date          : 2011-08-05
    
        This document defines a subset of the Management Information
        Base (MIB) for power and energy monitoring of devices.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:02:01 -0500

Hello, 

As you can see from the previous posting, we now have a WG draft on the
Monitoring MIB. 

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-00.txt

It is a revision of draft-claise-energy-monitoring-mib-09. 

Based on consensus from EMAN WG discussion @ IETF81, the IANA
considerations section has been revised and for addition of new Power
State Sets - Expert Review has been recommended. Open issues section has
been updated. Some of the issues such as TC design for Power State Set,
there has been robust discussion on the email list. 

We would be grateful for proposals on how to solve the remaining open
issues listed in Section 14.

Changes in this draft-ieft-eman-monitoring-mib-00 are: 

  - IANA considerations section updated 
  - open issues section updated. 

Your comments welcome. 

Thanks
Brad, Juergen, Thomas, Benoit and Mouli

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [eman] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-00.txt

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Energy Management Working Group of the
IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mi
b-00.txt

---

From: Brad Schoening <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:00:10 +0000

Mouli,

        OPEN ISSUE 6:  Measurement of AC Power, Voltage, and Current          
          "AC power is not an RMS measurement, it is an average reading.  
          The term instantaneous AC power can be misleading and power 
          meters do not report it. "   

	   The Watt (symbol W) is the derived SI unit of power, and is defined as one joule per second. Smart meters usually report both kW and kWh.  For example, the Shark 100 meter specification section G & K is an example.
		http://www.electroind.com/Specs/shark/E141723_Shark100M_GenSpec_RevC.pdf

	    'instantaneous' refers to the kW reading a meter would report.  Usually this is an RMS value, but it can be an average also over an integral number of cycles.  

        OPEN ISSUE 7:  In addition to WYE and Delta AC power 
        configurations, 3-Phase hybrid of WYE and Delta should be 
        considered ?  

	   Yes, you can make a WYE-Delta connection, but I believe the power measurements need to be taken on either the Wye or delta side.

       OPEN ISSUE 8:  Nameplate power consumption should be a fixed 
        value or a range ?  

	  This must be a fixed value since its used for capacity planning.  

"facilities planners used IT equipment nameplate ratings values as a method to plan power and cooling capacity requirements...   The nameplate on a piece of IT equipment is a marking from a third-party agency that indicates that the equipment complies with a set of requirements set forth by a product safety standard such as IEC 60950-1 (Information technology equipment - Safety - Part 1: General requirements)."

	From 'Proper Sizing and cooling Loads White Paper'  by John Bean, et al.

	In order to reach closure on the drafts, may I suggest that issues under discussion only become "open issues" once there are valid references to support a differing opinion.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [eman] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-00.txt

Hello, 

Your comments welcome. 

Thanks

-----Original Message-----

    

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: "Michael Suchoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:49:54 -0400

Brad,

Issue 6:  Watts are never RMS. For AC, a meter reports the average over
an integral number of AC half cycles.

Issue 7:  In North America (Japan, Taiwan, etc.) common 3-phase
line-line voltage is 208 and line-neutral is 120.  In 3-phase PDU, all 3
208V line-line and all 3 120V line-neutral configurations are available
simultaneously.  Example: rack uses 208V for servers (plug into the 208V
delta wired outlets of PDU), 120V for lighting and legacy equipment
(plug into wye wired 120V outlets).
Recommendation: One 3-phase power table
Final index component is "line" an enumeration (1) phase A, (2) phase B,
(3) phase C.
lineLineVoltage - voltage line to line
lineNeutralVoltage - voltage line to neutral
current - amperes flowing in line
watts - active power flowing in line
va - apparent power flowing in line

Example entries for line = 2 (phase B)
lineLineVoltage = 207.6 // voltage measured phase B to phase C
lineNeutral Voltage = 120 // voltage measured phase B to neutral

Issue 8:
UL 60950-1 has a strict format allowing both single, multiple and range
values for ratings - so there can be no restrictions made by MIB.
However, there is no UL requirement to list power on nameplate (only
voltage, current and frequency are required).  Power is optional and it
is usually given in VA (VA or current is what is used for provisioning).

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Brad Schoening
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:00 PM
To: Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan); [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [eman] I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-00.txt

Mouli,

	   The Watt (symbol W) is the derived SI unit of power, and is
defined as one joule per second. Smart meters usually report both kW and
kWh.  For example, the Shark 100 meter specification section G & K is an
example.

	    'instantaneous' refers to the kW reading a meter would
report.  Usually this is an RMS value, but it can be an average also
over an integral number of cycles.  

	   Yes, you can make a WYE-Delta connection, but I believe the
power measurements need to be taken on either the Wye or delta side.

	  This must be a fixed value since its used for capacity
planning.  

"facilities planners used IT equipment nameplate ratings values as a
method to plan power and cooling capacity requirements...   The
nameplate on a piece of IT equipment is a marking from a third-party
agency that indicates that the equipment complies with a set of
requirements set forth by a product safety standard such as IEC 60950-1
(Information technology equipment - Safety - Part 1: General
requirements)."

	From 'Proper Sizing and cooling Loads White Paper'  by John
Bean, et al.

	In order to reach closure on the drafts, may I suggest that
issues under discussion only become "open issues" once there are valid
references to support a differing opinion.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [eman] I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-00.txt

Hello, 

Your comments welcome. 

Thanks