Subject: [eman] new applicability related use cases

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 18:58:00 +0000

Hi all

During the Quebec eman meeting I have mentioned that I will send some new
use cases to the eman mailing list!

The above use cases motivate the need of having the requirement of energy
management and control for production and consumption of energy!
Moreover the neigberhood related use cases motivate the need of
supporting aggregation.

If you have comments please let me know!
Please however, note that in some hours my holidays start. On the 25th of
August I will be back to my office!

-----------

* Energy neutral building
---------------------------

This use case considers the energy management and energy control of a
building that can consume energy imported
from a grid and it could also generate energy that is exported into the
grid. Buildings use the so called domestic technologies for the energy
prediction. Some examples of domestic technologies are:
Micro-generators, see e.g., [1], that generate electricity at kilowatt
level in or nearby houses. Examples of micro-generators are:
Photovoltaics (PV), micro wind-turbines and microCHP devices. The
microCHP devices are replacements for conventional high efficiency
boilers producing both heat and electricity using natural gas.
Energy neutral means that there is no net import from or net export into
the grid.

* Islanded building
------------------
In this case also the energy management and energy control of a building
is considered that can however, self produce and consume energy,
without importing from or exporting energy into the grid.
Islanded means that the building is physically isolated
from the grid, so the building can consume all the energy that is
producing and no energy is flowing from or into the grid.

* Energy neutral neighbourhood
-----------------------------
In this use case the energy management and energy control of a group of
buildings is considered, that are able to cooperate
together in order to optimize their combined and aggregated import from
and export
into the grid. Optionally, this group of buildings can be combined with
larger scale distributed generators. The distributed generators are
energy generators that are geographically distributed in a small area.
The distributed generation can range from wind turbine parks generating a
capacity on a MegaWatt level up to a domestic distributed generator
with a killowat level capacity. Energy neutral means that there is no net
import from or net export into the grid.

* Islanded neighbourhood

-------------------------
In this use case also the energy management and energy control of a group
of buildings is considered, that are able to cooperate
together in order to optimize their combined and aggregated energy that
is self produced and also consumed, without importing from or exporting
energy into the grid.
Islanded means that the neighbourhood  is physically isolated from the
grid, so the neighbourhood can consume all the energy that is
producing and no energy is flowing from or into the grid.

[1] A. Molderink, "On the three-step methodology for Smart Grids", Ph.
D thesis, University of Twente, the Netherlands, ISBN:
978-90-365-3170-2, CTIT Ph. D thesis Series, No. 11-196, 2011.

----------------------

Best regards,
Georgios

---

From: Emmanuel Tychon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:20:49 +0200

Hello Georgios,

First of all, thank you for the feedback. Here's what I'm thinking:

The use cases provided below are definitely very good and interesting, however I question their applicability to EMAN.

They are all related to building energy management where consumers and producers are not necessarily IT devices (i.e.: boilers and micro generators). 

Cases like the one mentioned below are addressed in the applicability statement in a section called "Gateways to building networks" (section 2.6). Indeed, we do not expect micro generators or boiler to talk SNMP, but such a gateway can provide functionality based on specific metering method outside of the scope of this working group.

> Moreover the neigberhood related use cases motivate the need of

Aggregation will be supported by the means of so-called "Mid-level managers–Aggregation". The applicability statement covers it in section 2.5.

Thanks,
Emmanuel

> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman
>