Subject: Re: [eman] Termiology:

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:36:35 -0700

Hi,

We discussed this at IETF81 so the consensus form the meeting was to
remove the term Managed and go with Electrical

I've use the terms Energy Object with "sub-class" Electrical Energy
Object, Non-Electrical Energy Object which is all rooted from in the
IEEE100 definition of Electrical Equipment.

Jp

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Juergen Quittek
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:34 PM
To: eman mailing list
Subject: [eman] Termiology:

Hi John,

In draft-parello-eman-definitions-00 you define 'energy managed object'
as:

	     Energy Managed Object  

	        An Energy Managed Object (EMO) is a device that is part
of or 

	        attached to a communications network that is monitored, 

	        controlled, or aids in the management of another device
for 

	        Energy Management. 

I have two issues here:

1. the term "managed object" is already in common use for the objects
defined in a MIB module. Since we are also defining MIB modules, we will
run into ambiguities and risk confusion of readers if we re-use the term
here.

2. The attribute "managed" is confusing, because the term refers also to
"unmanaged" objects that are neither monitored or controlled, but just
"aid" in the management of other devices. These seem to be rather
"managing" objects than "managed" objects.

Thanks,

    Juergen