Subject: Re: [eman] Terminology: demand

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:46:03 -0700

Hi,

Demand is now taken from IEEE100.  

I was not trying to falsely or otherwise restrict an implementation. For
version 1 I was more concerned about making sure I had captured all the
items from the draft - the things to define. Cleaning up the definitions
is this exercise. Nothing malicious intended. Ever.

There are various definitions and finding the right one took a new
revision. That was there from the usage in the framework and charter
etc.

Please do see the approach listed in the draft and the definition.

Thanks!

Jp 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Juergen Quittek
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:07 AM
To: eman mailing list
Subject: [eman] Terminology: demand

Hi John,

In draft-parello-eman-definitions-00 you define demand as:

	     Demand 

	       Demand is an average of Power measurements over an
interval(s) 

I disagree. Demand is a power measurement over a long time interval.
There is no need for having multiple power measurements and averaging
them. Of course I agree that this would be a way to implement demand
measurements. But the definition of a term should not falsely restrict
it to a certain implementation.

Please let's take IEEE or other bodies dictionary terms.

"an interval(s)" --> "an interval"

	       of time and typically expressed in kilowatt hours.  This 

	       measurement is significant because some utilities or
energy 

remove "This measurement is significant because"

	       providers bill by Demand measurements as well as for
maximum 

	       Demand per billing periods.  Power values may spike
during 

	       short-terms by devices, but Demand measurements recognize
that 

	       maximum Demand does not equal maximum Power during an
interval. 

Thanks,

    Juergen