Subject: Re: [eman] Terminology: energy management system (was: Re: comments ondraft-parello-eman-definitions-00)

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:31:53 -0700

Hi,

I've combined these and clarified it. I preserved the fact that that the
term Energy Management System is overload from ISO in case anyone comes
to our standards from that track.

Thanks!

Jp

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Juergen Quittek
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:22 PM
To: eman mailing list
Subject: [eman] Terminology: energy management system (was: Re: comments
ondraft-parello-eman-definitions-00)

Hi John,

In draft-parello-eman-definitions-00 you define an energy management
system twice:

	     Energy Management System (EnMS) 

	       An EnMS is a set of systems or procedures upon which 

	       organizations can develop and implement an energy policy,
set 

	       targets, action plans and take into account legal
requirements 

	       related to energy use.  An EnMS allows organizations to
improve 

	       energy performance and demonstrate conformity to
requirements, 

	       standards and/or legal requirements.   

	       Example:  

	       A set of workflow procedures setup by an organization to
track 

	       and archive utility billing records to ensure an
auditable 

	       history of targets. 

	       Reference: 

	       [ISO50001] 

and

	     Energy Management Systems  

	       An Energy Management System (EMS) is congruent to a
Network 

	       Management System (NMS) and is a combination of hardware
and 

	       software used to administer a network with the primarily
purpose 

	       being Energy Management. 

	       Example: 

	       Reference: 

	       Derived from [1037C] 

We cannot go with two definitions. 

Shall we merge them or drop one of them?

For the acronym: I would prefer using EnMS, because it avoids confusion
with an 

element management system which is typically referred to as EMS.

Thanks,

    Juergen