Subject: Re: [eman] Terminology: energy

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:38:38 -0700

HI,

That definition was taken from ISO. After getting feedback from the
various standards I have a definition from IEEE and IEC in there. Bear
with me that was a strawman please do see the new version.

We can certainly restrict our work and implementation to electrical
energy if that's the charter/consensus but the non-electrical will still
need to be defined. This is a definition draft not an implementation
draft.

Jp

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Juergen Quittek
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:22 PM
To: eman mailing list
Subject: [eman] Terminology: energy

Hi John,

In draft-parello-eman-definitions-00 you define energy as:

	     Energy  

	       Energy is the capacity of a system to produce external
activity 

	       or perform work and can be electricity, fuels, steam,
heat, 

	       compressed air, and other like media. Energy is typically

	       expressed in watt hours or joules.  

	       Example: 

	       Reference: 

	       [ISO50001] 

This is certainly not taken from an IEEE or IEC dictionary: 

Energy is not steam, it is not fuel, it is not compressed air.

Let's take reasonable text from a dictionary.

Would it be OK if we restricted our work to electrical energy?

    Juergen