Subject: Re: [eman] Demand/Response

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 02:43:13 -0500

Hello,

There was a comment during EMAN WG meeting regarding shedding load (as a
demand response) if that shall be considered in the scope of EMAN. 
A description of the scenario is provided and the feedback from the list
on this topic is highly appreciated. 

Demand / Response is an external stimulus in contrast to energy
optimization policies implemented in the network. 
The energy savings policies may be implemented during off-peak hours of
the network when the network utilizations are low. 
Whereas, demand response reduction (brown-out) may occur even during
peak hours. 

The question is do we need additional requirements beyond those to
handle this scenario.

Currently, there are requirements for configuration of power states of
devices  8.1.1.  Control of power states of other powered entities. 
It is also possible to identify the role of entities in the network
(pmRoleDescription or pmKeywords) and exclude some of the critical
entities in the network and possibly configure the remaining network
entities to one of the power saving modes.  For the network devices
point of view, it is also possible to consider "follow the moon" type of
scheduling to move VMs based on energy demand/availability. 

A description of Demand/Response has been captured in the Applicability
statement to indicate that demand/response scenario shall be considered
in EMAN. 

Thanks
Mouli