Subject: [eman] Request to review ODVA document for Electrical Characteristics

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 21:56:16 -0700

Hi Chairs and Members

As you know there has been a lot of conversation on defining the
electrical characteristics (quality etc) for energy objects in the
requirements and information models drafts.

Simultaneous to our efforts, there is also considerable work going on at
the ODVA on the CIPSE-001-172 specification for energy management. The
working group there is ready to publish a public document in
mid-November, which may fall after IETF-82

Consequently, Katherine Voss from the ODVA has graciously allowed me to
publish an excerpt of a draft companion document for their specification
which gives background on the work in progress. It is an excerpt of work
in progress.

You may not be aware but the working group for energy management at the
ODVA is composed of around a dozen individuals representing member
organizations. Many of whom are also in the working group  SPC201P at
ASHREA (http://spc201.ashraepcs.org/). In fact Rich Morgan the WG chair
for the ODVA energy group is a voting member of SPC201P. As you can
imagine there is a lot of overlap in the work.

In the attached excerpt there is a wonderful set of attributes for
electrical characteristics which is apropos to our discussions. I've
also included some related points on non-electrical energy which I think
this group ignores due to our inherent communication networks expertise.
I think these items are a concise set of values for electrical
characteristics.

EMAN would be greatly amiss to ignore the information model work 

For everyone on the list it's a good read in our problem domain. I urge
the chairs to ensure the authors of requirements  / information model
drafts to review, merge and/or apply the information presented herein in
its entirety or at a minimum w.r.t electrical characteristics. 

Please see http://www.odva.org for more information and again many
thanks to the ODVA and their WG.

Jp

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 04:55:13 -0500

Thanks for sharing this document. The ODVA information model for
measurement of power characteristics is relatively simple. 

In summary, there energy meters (directional) for total, reactive and
apparent energy 

There are measurements for each phase of 3-phase AC 
- Current 
- Line to Neutral Voltage for every phase  - average Line to neutral
voltage 
- Line to Line Voltage  - average Line to Line voltage 
- Real Power  and Total real power 
- Apparent Power
- Reactive Power
- Power Factor 

Almost all fields are optional - except - NetEnergyOdometer and
TotalRealPower - are conditional 

The difference between EMAN information model and ODVA would be that
EMAN information model has more attributes.  

Thanks
Mouli

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
John Parello (jparello)
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [eman] Request to review ODVA document for
ElectricalCharacteristics

Hi Chairs and Members

Jp

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:04:10 +0200

Hi Mouli,

What is the difference between 'optional' and 'conditional' in ODVA
terminology? 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

> Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)
> Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:55 AM
> To: John Parello (jparello); [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [eman] Request to review ODVA document
> forElectricalCharacteristics
> 
> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 05:26:42 -0500

Hi Dan,

ODVA seems to have three thresholds - required, conditional and
optional. 

The definitions of those terms are not provided in the document John
Parello has provided. 

My guess is that as a requirement -   Optional is weaker than
Conditional is weaker than required. 

Thanks
Mouli

-----Original Message-----
From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:34 PM
To: Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan); John Parello (jparello);
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: [eman] Request to review ODVA document
forElectricalCharacteristics

Hi Mouli,

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:36:48 +0200

Thanks. Maybe John can help us with a clarification. I can guess that
Conditional = Mandatory If ... but better to make sure. 

Regards,

Dan

> From: Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan) [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:27 PM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); John Parello (jparello); [email-masked]
> > Simultaneous to our efforts, there is also considerable work going
on
> > at
> > drafts to review, merge and/or apply the information presented
herein
> > in