Subject: [eman] Review - Terminology - draft-parello-eman-definitions-02

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 03:31:10 -0500

Hi John,

Please see my comments on the terminology draft. 

Comments in line. 

One meta comment - 

I think it is good to define the terminology for the terms like -
Energy, Demand, ... with suitable references; 

Whereas the following are new concepts of energy management. Not sure if
these fit into terminology draft.

The reason is some more text or context  is required in my view to
understand the proposed definition.  

Energy Management Domain

Energy Object Identification

Energy Object Context

Energy Object Relationships

Aggregation Relationship

Metering Relationship

Power Source Relationship 

Proxy Relationship 

Energy Object Parent

Energy Object Child

Thanks

Mouli

     Network Working Group                                 J. Parello 

     Internet-Draft                               Cisco Systems, Inc. 

     Intended Status: Informational                September 15, 2011 

     Expires: February 15, 2012                                       

                        Energy Management Terminology 

                      draft-parello-eman-definitions-02 

snip ....

     Abstract 

        This document contains definitions and terms used in the Energy 

        Management Working Group. Each term contains a definition(s), 

       example, and reference to a normative, informative or well known 

        source. Terms originating  defined in this draft  are should be
either 

        composed of or adapted from other terms in the draft with a 

        source. The defined terms will  can be used in other drafts as 

        defined here.   

 c.    I presume what is meant is 

            "Most definitions of the terminology used in the EMAN WG are
obtained from standard references.

               Definitions for some of the newer concepts are proposed
in this draft." 

Snip ....

     1. Introduction 

        Within Energy Management there are terms that may seem obvious 

        to a casual reader but in fact require a rigorous definition
with a standard reference.  and sourced 

        definition.  To avoid any confusion in terms among the working 

        group drafts, one glossary / lexicon of terms should exist that 

        all drafts can refer to. This will avoid review of terms 

        multiplied across drafts.  

        This draft will contain a glossary of definitions of terms that 

        can be agreed upon by the working group outside of the context 

        of drafts and then included in or sourced to this draft. 

        Each term will contain a definition(s), a normative or 

        informative reference, an optional example, an optional 

        comment(s) listed a note(s).  

        All terms should be rooted with a well-known reference. If a 

        definition is take verbatim from a reference then the source is 

        listed in square brackets. If a definition is derived from a 

        well-known reference then the source is listed as "Adapted from"

        with the reference listed in square brackets. If a defined term 

        is newly defined here the reference will indicate as such by 

        stating "herein" and if applicable list any composing terms from

        this document.  

        When applicable the [IEEE100] was used as the preferred source. 

        If a term was not available from [IEEE100], then [IEC60050] was 

        used.  When there were multiple items from [IEEE100], [IEC60050]

        or [ISO50001], there were all included. 

     2. Terminology 

     Energy Management 

       Energy Management is a set of functions for measuring, modeling, 

       planning, and optimizing networks to ensure that the network 

       elements and attached devices use energy efficiently and is 

       appropriate for the nature of the application and the cost 

       constraints of the organization.  

       Reference: Adapted from [ITU-T-M-3400] 

       NOTE: Energy Management is a system congruent  similar to any of
FCAPS 

       areas of management in the ISO/OSI Network Management Model 

       [TMN]. Energy Management for communication networks and attached 

       devices is a subset or part of an organization's greater Energy 

       Management Policies. 

     <parello>             Expires February 15, 2012          [Page 4] 

     Internet-Draft   <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

       Example: A set of computer systems that will poll electrical 

       meters and store the readings  

YCM>  Congruent would imply identical 

     Energy Management System (EnMS) 

       1. An Energy Management System is congruent  similar to a Network

       Management System (NMS) and is a combination of hardware and 

       software used to administer a network  a set of energy consuming
devices with the primarily purpose 

       being Energy Management. 

       Reference: Adapted from [1037C] 

       Example: A single computer system that polls Energy data from
devices 

       using SNMP 

       2. An Energy Management System (IOS   ISO-EnMS) is a set of
systems or 

       procedures upon which organizations can develop and implement an 

       energy policy, set targets, action plans and take into account 

       legal requirements related to energy use.  An EnMS allows 

       organizations to improve energy performance and demonstrate 

       conformity to requirements, standards, and/or legal 

       requirements.   

YCM>  What are legal requirements ? reporting Co2 emissions ?

       Reference: [ISO50001] 

       Example:  Company A defines a set of policies and procedures 

       indicating there should exist multiple computerized systems that 

       will poll energy from their meters and pricing / source data 

       from their local utility. Company A specifies that their CFO 

       should collect information and summarize it quarterly to be sent 

       to an accounting firm to produce carbon accounting reporting as 

       required by their local government.  

       NOTE: For the purposes of EMAN, the definition from [1037C] is 

       the preferred meaning of an Energy Management System (EnMS).  

       The definition from [ISO50001] can be referred to as ISO Energy 

       Management System (ISO-EnMS). 

      

     <parello>             Expires February 15, 2012          [Page 5] 

     Internet-Draft   <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

     ISO Energy Management System 

       Energy Management System as defined by [ISO50001]  

       Reference: herein 

     Energy  

       1. That which does work or is capable of doing work. As used by 

       electric utilities, it is generally a reference to electrical 

       energy and is measured in kilo-watt hours (kWh). 

       Reference: [IEEE100] 

       2. Energy is the capacity of a system to produce external 

       activity or perform work  

       Reference: [ISO50001] 

     Power 

       The time rate at which energy is emitted, transferred, or 

       received; usually expressed in watts (or in joules per second). 

       Reference: [IEEE100] 

     Demand  

       The average value of power or a related quantity over a 

       specified interval of time. Note: Demand is expressed in 

       kilowatts, kilovolt-amperes, kilovars, or other suitable units. 

       NOTE 1: typically kilowatts 

       NOTE 2: Energy providers typically bill by Demand measurements 

       as well as for maximum Demand per billing periods.  Power values

       consumption of devices  may spike during short-terms by devices,
but 

      the Demand measurements smooth such spikes  

       recognize that maximum Demand does not equal maximum Power 

       during an interval. 

     <parello>             Expires February 15, 2012          [Page 6] 

     Internet-Draft   <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

       Reference: [IEEE100] 

     Power Quality  

       Characteristics of the electric current, voltage and frequencies 

       at a given point in an electric power system, evaluated against 

       a set of reference technical parameters. These parameters might, 

       in some cases, relate to the compatibility between electricity 

       supplied in an electric power system and the loads connected to 

       that electric power system. 

       Reference: [IEC60050] 

     Electrical Equipment 

       A general term including materials, fittings, devices, 

       appliances, fixtures, apparatus, machines, etc., used as a part 

       of, or in connection with, an electric installation. 

        Reference: [IEEE100] 

     Non-Electrical Equipment (Mechanical Equipment) 

        A general term including materials, fittings, devices  

       appliances, fixtures, apparatus, machines, etc., used as a part 

       of, or in connection with, non-electrical power installations. 

        Reference: Adapted from [IEEE100] 

     Energy Object      

        An Energy Object (EO) is a piece of equipment that is part of or

        attached to a communications network that is monitored, 

        controlled, or aids in the management of another device for 

        Energy Management.

YCM>>>>       An Energy Object (EO) is an energy consuming device or a
component of that device whose 

        energy usage shall be monitored or controlled. That device shall
be part of network or can be an attached device to the network. 

          An Energy Object can also aid in the Energy management of
another Energy Objects. 

        Reference: herein 

 

     <parello>             Expires February 15, 2012          [Page 7] 

     Internet-Draft   <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

     Electrical Energy Object  

        An Electrical Energy Object (EEO) is an Energy Object that is a 

        piece of  that is an Electrical Equipment  or one of the
components of that equipment. 

        Reference: herein, Electrical Equipment 

     Non-Electrical Energy Object  

        A Non-Electrical Energy Object (NEEO) an Energy Object that is a

        piece of Non-Electrical Equipment. 

        Reference: herein, Non-Electrical Equipment. 

     Energy Monitoring 

       Energy Monitoring is a part of Energy Management that deals with 

       collecting or reading Energy measurements from Energy Objects to
aid in 

       Energy Management.    

       NOTE: This could include Energy, Power, Demand, Power Quality, 

       Context and/or Battery information. 

       Reference: herein 

     Energy Control 

       Energy Control is a part of Energy Management that deals with 

       modifying or setting the power state or controlling the power
supply of Energy Objects.  

       NOTE: Typically in order to optimize or ensure its efficiency.  

YCM>>> sentence not complete 

        Reference: herein 

     Energy Management Domain 

        An Energy Management Domain is a name or name space that 

        logically groups Energy Objects into a zone of Energy 

        Management.  

        NOTE: Typically, this zone will have as members all  an Energy
Management Domain could have all Energy Objects 

        EO's that 

        are powered from the same source. 

        Reference: herein 

     <parello>             Expires February 15, 2012          [Page 8] 

     Internet-Draft   <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

        Example: All EEO's drawing power from the same distribution 

        panel with the same AC voltage within a building, or all EEO's 

        in a building for which there is one main meter, would comprise 

        an Energy Management Domain.  

     Energy Object Identification 

       Energy Object Identification is a set of attributes that enable 

       an Energy Object to be: uniquely identified among all Energy
Objects 

      within a Energy Management Domain and also across Energy
Management Domains 

      among all Energy 

       Management Domains; linked to other systems; classified as to 

       type, model, and or manufacturer. 

       Reference: herein 

     Energy Object Context 

       Energy Object Context is a set of attributes that allow an 

       Energy Management System to classify the use of the Energy 

       Object within an organization a network. 

       NOTE: The classification could contain the use and/or the 

       ranking of the Energy Object as compared to other Energy Objects 

       in the Energy Management Domain. 

       Reference: herein 

     Energy Object Relationships 

        Energy Objects may have functional relationships to each other 

        within an Energy Management Domain.   

        NOTE 1: One Energy Object will provide a capability or 

        functional value in the relationship and another will be the 

        receiver of the capability.   

        NOTE 2: These capabilities could include Aggregation, Metering, 

        Power Source, Proxy and Dependency.  

        Reference: herein 

     <parello>             Expires February 15, 2012          [Page 9] 

     Internet-Draft   <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

     Aggregation Relationship 

       An Energy Object may aggregate the Energy Management information 

       of one or more Energy Objects and is referred to as an 

       Aggregation Relationship.   

       NOTE 1: An Energy Object may be aggregated by another Energy 

       Object(s).   

       NOTE 2: Aggregate values may be obtained by reading values from 

       multiple Energy Objects and producing a single value of more 

       significant meaning such as average, count, maximum, median, 

       minimum, mode and most commonly sum.  

       Reference: Adapted from [SQL] 

     Metering Relationship 

        An Energy Object may measure the Energy of another Energy 

        Object(s) and is referred to as a Metering Relationship.   

        NOTE: An Energy Object may be metered by another Energy 

        Object(s).   

        Reference: herein 

        Example: a PoE port on a switch measures the Power it provides 

        to the connected Energy Object. 

     Power Source Relationship 

        An Energy Object may be the source of or distributor of power to

        another Energy Object(s) and is referred to as a Power Source 

        Relationship.   

        NOTE: An Energy Object may be powered by another Energy 

        Object(s).   

        Reference: herein 

        Example: a PDU provides power for a connected host. 

      

     <parello>             Expires February 15, 2012         [Page 10] 

     Internet-Draft   <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

     Proxy Relationship 

        An Energy Object that provides Energy Management capabilities on

        behalf of another Energy Object so that is appears to be Energy 

        Aware is referred to a Proxy Relationship.   

        NOTE: An Energy Object may be proxied by another Energy 

        Object(s).  

        Reference: herein 

        Example: a protocol gateways device for Building Management 

        Systems (BMS) with subtended devices. 

     Dependency Relationship 

        An Energy Object may be a component of or rely completely upon 

        another Energy Object to operate and is referred to as a 

        Dependency Relationship.  An Energy Object may be dependent on 

        another Energy Object(s).   

        Reference: herein 

        Example: A Switch chassis with multiple line cards 

     Energy Object Parent 

        An Energy Object Parent is an Energy Object that provides one or

        more of the Energy Object Relationships capabilities. 

        Reference: herein 

     Energy Object Child 

        An Energy Object Child is an Energy Object that has at least one

        Energy Object Relationship capability provided by another Energy

        Object.  

        Reference: herein 

     Power State 

        A Power State is a way to classify an (setting on an Energy 

        Object (e.g., on, off, or sleep).   

      

     <parello>             Expires February 15, 2012         [Page 11] 

     Internet-Draft   <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

        NOTE: A Power State can be viewed as one method for Energy 

        Control 

        Reference: herein 

     Manufacturer Power State 

YCM>>>> I thought this term is not used now. 

        A Manufacturer Power State is a device-specific way to classify 

        a (non)operational implemented on an Energy Object.   

     Power State Set 

        A collection of Power States that comprise one named or logical 

        grouping of control is a Power State Set.   

        A Power State Set is defined as a sequence of incremental energy
saving modes of a device.  

        The elements of this set can be viewed as an interface for the
underlying device-implemented power settings of a device.

        Reference: herein 

        Example: The states {on, off, and sleep} as defined in 

        [IEEE1621], or the 16 power states as defined by the [DMTF] can 

        be considered two different Power State Sets. 

     Nameplate Power 

        The Nameplate Power is the maximal (nominal) Power that a device
an Energy Object 

        can support.  

        NOTE: This is typically determined via load testing and is 

        specified by the manufacturer as the maximum value required to 

        operate the device.  This is sometimes referred to as the worst-

        case Power.  The actual or average Power may be lower.  The 

        Nameplate Power is typically used for provisioning and capacity 

        planning. 

        Reference: herein 

     3. Security Considerations 

        None 

     4. IANA Considerations 

        None 

...snip