Subject: [eman] draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-04.txt

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 11:08:30 -0500

Hello all,

Version 04 of EMAN Applicability Statement has been submitted. 

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-04

The intent of the use cases is to illustrate the scope of EMAN and the problems to be solved by EMAN. 
EMAN requirements draft should have appropriate requirements to solve those use cases.

So, We would like to get feedback from the WG on this draft on the use cases 
 - are there any more use cases in scope of EMAN ? 
 - there is some overlap in some of the use cases - or should the use cases be unique ?
 - any use cases out of scope of EMAN ? 
 
The major revisions in this draft 

- added use cases (based on feedback from the WG) and email list. 
   -  Printers
   -  Off Grid Devices
   -  Demand response  

Related standards section has been revised. 

Open issues section has been updated. 

- IEC Standards relevant for EMAN 
- Use cases for power quality

Thanks
Brad, Bruce, Emmanuel and Mouli

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:12 PM
To: Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)
Cc: [email-masked]; Emmanuel Tychon (etychon); Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan); [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification fordraft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-04.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-04.txt has been successfully submitted by Mouli Chandramouli and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement
Revision:	 04
Title:		 Energy Management (EMAN) Applicability Statement
Creation date:	 2011-10-15
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 31

Abstract:
        The objective of Energy Management (EMAN) is to provide an
        energy management framework for networked devices. This document
        presents the applicability of the EMAN framework for a variety
        of scenarios.  This document lists use cases and target devices
        that can potentially implement the EMAN framework and associated
        SNMP MIB modules.  These use cases are useful for identifying
        monitoring requirements that need to be considered. Further, we
        describe the relationship of the EMAN framework to relevant
        other energy monitoring standards and architectures.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:04:32 +0000

Hi all,

I think that the draft looks good, but I have two main comments:

I)  the description of the energy neutral neighbourhoods is needed. This
is because it imposes different on eman than the energy neutral
buildings use case. I can provide input on this use case.

II) regarding other standards and efforts that deal with energy, I miss
several of them, please see the list below. I could provide a brief
overview on each of them:

o) European Union: Mandate CEN/CENELEC/ETSI M/441 [1]
[1] CENELEC, “Smart Meters Coordination Group: Report of the Second
Meeting held on 2009-09-28 and Approval of SM-CG Work Program
for EC Submission”, 2009.

o) IEEE P2030 Draft Guide for
Smart Grid Interoperability of Energy Technology and Information
Technology Operation with the Electric Power System
(EPS) [2]

[2] IEEE, “P2030 Draft Guide for Smart Grid Interoperability of Energy
Technology and Information Technology Operation with the Electric
Power System (EPS)”, 2009.

o) Japanese METI Smart Grid roadmap [3]

[3] “Japans Roadmap to International Standardization for Smart Grid and
Collaborations with other Countries”, 2010.

o) D. Korea’s Smart Grid Roadmap 2030 from MKE (Ministry of
Knowledge Economy)

o) The State Grid Corporation of China - SGCC Framework [4]
[4] State Grid Corporation of China: SGCC Framework and Roadmap for
Strong and Smart Grid Standards, Whitepaper, 2010

o) Electricity Networks Strategy Group, UK [5]
[5] Electricity Networks Strategy Group, UK, “A Smart Grid Routemap”,
2010.

o) German BMWi E-Energy Program [6]
[6] OFFIS, SCC Consulting, and MPC management coaching, “Untersuchung
des Normungsumfeldes zum BMWi-Foerderschwerpunkt ”EEnergy
- IKT-basiertes Energiesystem der Zukunft””, 2009.

o) German BDI initiativ - Internet der Energie [7]
[7] BDI Initiativ, “Internet of Energy - ICT for Energy Markets of the
Future”, 2008.

o) Conseil International des Grands Reseaux ´ Electriques
(CIGRE) D2.24 [8]
[8] Cigre D2.24, “EMS Architectures for the 21st Century”, 2009.

o) Spanish Electrical Grid Platform [9]
[9] FutuRed, “Spanish Electrical Grid Platform, Strategic Vision
Document”,
2009.

o) Roadmap Smart Grids Austria [10]

[10] “Roadmap Smart Grids Austria - Der Weg in die Zukunft der
elektrischen
Netze, version prepared for the Smart Grids Week Salzburg
2009”, 2009.

o) Microsoft SERA [11]
[11] Microsoft, “Smart Energy Reference Architecture SERA”, 2009.

Best regards,
Georgios

On 10/15/2011, "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>eman mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:55:18 -0700

Giorgios--

  Thank you for the list of Smart Grid standards and discussions.
One of the great strengths that I see in EMAN is that it does not
attempt to address communication with the grid*. *
  I assume that most of what these documents cover is communication
and coordination with the grid and so out of scope.  Some of them
may speak to EMAN type of communication, between devices in a
particular building.  It would be helpful if you could identify which
of these documents do this, and in a way that is significant for EMAN.
  Thanks again,

--Bruce

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Georgios Karagiannis <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> >Subject: New Version Notification
> fordraft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-04.txt
> >
> >A new version of I-D, draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-04.txt has
> been successfully submitted by Mouli Chandramouli and posted to the IETF
> repository.
> >

-- 
*Bruce Nordman*
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman
[email-masked]
510-486-7089
m: 510-501-7943

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:15:51 +0000

Hi Bruce,

The listed standards address many issues, including:
Metering, Energy Management Systems, Distribution management Systems,
Application level energy management system interfaces, Advanced metering
infrastructure (AMI), CIM (Common Information Model), Metering Standards
DMS, DER, AMI, DR, Smart Home, E-Storage, EMobility, Home Area Network
device communication, measurement, and control, Home Area Network (HAN)
Device Communications and Information Model

Best regards,
Georgios

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:49:12 -0500

Hello all,

EMAN Applicability Statement draft has been updated.  

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-05

The major revision is to be consistent with the definitions in  
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-parello-eman-definitions-03

Added one more use case on Power Capping based on the feedback from
David Prantl. 

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/eman/current/msg00652.html

How to handle this power capping with EMAN framework would be
interesting problem to solve. 

Again, we are seeking input from the WG on the use cases, which can help
us to shape the EMAN requirements. 
Do we have sufficient number of use cases for EMAN ? 

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [eman] draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-04.txt

Hello all,

The intent of the use cases is to illustrate the scope of EMAN and the
problems to be solved by EMAN. 
EMAN requirements draft should have appropriate requirements to solve
those use cases.

So, We would like to get feedback from the WG on this draft on the use
cases 
 - are there any more use cases in scope of EMAN ? 
 - there is some overlap in some of the use cases - or should the use
cases be unique ?
 - any use cases out of scope of EMAN ? 

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:12 PM
To: Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)
Cc: [email-masked]; Emmanuel Tychon (etychon); Mouli Chandramouli
(moulchan); [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification
fordraft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-04.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-tychon-eman-applicability-statement-04.txt
has been successfully submitted by Mouli Chandramouli and posted to the
IETF repository.

Abstract:

The IETF Secretariat