Subject: [eman] Comments on draft-parello-eman-definitions-03

From: "Mielke, William F (Bill)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 05:58:34 -0600

Below are my initial comments on draft-parello-eman-definitions-03.  Mostly these are minor wording changes, but I may have additional comments after I finish reading the remaining documents.  In general I think things look reasonable.

Section 1:

Last paragraph - "there were all included" -> "these were all included"

Section 2:

Energy management - "system congruent to" -> "management domain which is congruent to"

Energy management system - "poll energy from" -> "poll energy readings from"

General Comment - These relationships seem somewhat arbitrary

General Comment - The phrase "Energy Object Relationship capability" is unclear to me. What do we actually mean by this, especially the word "capability" in this context?

Power state - I propose to change the definition to "Power States are a generalized way to classify the operational settings on an Energy Object which affect the Energy Object's rate of energy consumption.  A Power State denotes one specific setting from among a group of several such settings (e.g. on, off, or sleep)."

Name plate power - "can support" -> "will consume under normal operations" 

Name plate power - "required for operating the device" -> "the Energy Object will require under normal operations"

Name plate power - General Comment - This definition seems too narrow, or perhaps additional terms may be missing?  For example, the name plate frequently defines a range of allowable voltages and/or current ranges which a device can be safely operated under. How or where should these types of values be accounted for, and how do they affect or relate to the term "name plate power"?

Thanks,

William F. Mielke
Alcatel-Lucent
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
224 Brookhill Drive
Gahanna, OH  43230
Email: [email-masked]
Phone: 614 718 6308

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:32:05 -0600

Network Working Group                               J. Parello 
     Internet-Draft                              Cisco Systems, Inc. 
     Intended Status: Informational                  October 26, 2011  
     
     Expires: April 26, 2012 

                     Energy Management Terminology 
                   draft-parello-eman-definitions-03 

     Status of this Memo 

        This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance 
        with the provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.  
         
        Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet 
        Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working 
        groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute working 
        documents as Internet-Drafts.  
         
        Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six 
        months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other 
        documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-
        Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as  
        "work in progress."  
         
        The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at 
        http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt  
         
        The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at

        http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html  
         
        This Internet-Draft will expire on February, 2012. 

     Copyright Notice 
         
        Copyright (c) 2011 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the 
        document authors.  All rights reserved. 
        This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal 
        Provisions Relating to IETF Documents 
        (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of 
        publication of this document.  Please review these documents 
        carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with 
        respect to this document.  Code Components extracted from this 
        document must include Simplified BSD License text as described 
        in Section 4.e of the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided 
        without warranty as described in the Simplified BSD License. 

     Abstract 
      
     <Parello>                Expires April 26 2012            [Page 1] 
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

        This document contains definitions and terms used in the Energy 
        Management Working Group. Each term contains a definition(s), 
        example, and reference to a normative, informative or well know 
        source. Terms originating defined in this draft should be are
either 
        composed of or adapted from other    the terminology defined in
the drafts with a 
        standard reference  source. The defined terms will then be used
in other drafts as 
        defined here.   

      

      
     <parello>             Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 2] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 

     Table of Contents 
         
        1. Introduction                                            3 
        2. Terminology                                             4 
           Energy Management                                       4 
           Energy Management System (EnMS)                         5 
           ISO Energy Management System                            6 
           Energy                                                  6 
           Power                                                   6 
           Demand                                                  6 
           Power Quality                                           7 
           Electrical Equipment                                    7 
           Non-Electrical Equipment (Mechanical Equipment)         7 
           Energy Object                                           7 
           Electrical Energy Object                                8 
           Non-Electrical Energy Object                            8 
           Energy Monitoring                                       8 
           Energy Control                                          8 
           Energy Management Domain                                8 
           Energy Object Identification                            9 
           Energy Object Context                                   9 
           Energy Object Relationships                             9 
           Aggregation Relationship                               10 
           Metering Relationship                                  10 
           Power Source Relationship                              10 
           Proxy Relationship                                     11 
           Dependency Relationship                                11 
           Energy Object Parent                                   11 
           Energy Object Child                                    11 
           Power State                                            11 
           Manufacturer Power State                               12 
           Power State Set                                        12 
           Nameplate Power                                        12 
        3. Security Considerations                                12 
        4. IANA Considerations                                    13 
        5. Acknowledgments                                        13 
        6. References                                             13 
           Normative References                                   13 
           Informative References                                 13 

     1. Introduction 

        Within Energy Management there are terms that may seem obvious 
        to a casual reader but in fact require a rigorous and sourced 
        definition with a standard reference.  To avoid any confusion in
terms among the working 
      
YCM >>> What are legal requirements for Energy management ? 
      
     <parello>             Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 3] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
        group drafts, one glossary / lexicon of terms should exist that 
        all drafts can refer to. This will avoid a review of terms 
        multiplied across drafts.  
         
        This draft will contain a glossary of definitions of terms that 
        can be agreed upon by the working group outside of the context 
        of drafts and then included in or sourced to this draft. 
         
        Each term will contain a definition(s), a normative or 
        informative reference, an optional example, an optional 
        comment(s) listed a note(s).  
         
        All terms should be rooted with a well-known reference. If a 
        definition is taken verbatim from a reference then the source is

        listed in square brackets. If a definition is derived from a 
        well-known reference then the source is listed as "Adapted from"

        with the reference listed in square brackets. If a defined term 
        is newly defined here the reference will indicate as such by 
        stating "herein" and if applicable list any composing terms from

        this document.  
      
        When applicable the [IEEE100] was used as the preferred source. 
        If a term was not available from [IEEE100], then [IEC60050] was 
        used.  When there were multiple items from [IEEE100], [IEC60050]

        or [ISO50001], there were all included. 
      
     2. Terminology 

     Energy Management 

       1.Energy Management is a set of functions for measuring, 
       modeling, planning, and optimizing networks to ensure that the 
       network elements and attached devices use energy efficiently and 
       is appropriate for the nature of the application and the cost 
       constraints of the organization.  
        
       Reference: Adapted from [ITU-T-M-3400] 
       2. Energy management refers to the activities, methods, 
       procedures and tools that pertain to measuring, modeling, 
       planning, controlling and optimizing the use of energy in 
       networked systems. 
        
       Reference: Adapted from [NMF] 

      
     <parello>             Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 4] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
       NOTE: Energy Management is a system congruent similar to any of
FCAPS 
       areas of management in the ISO/OSI Network Management Model 
       [TMN]. Energy Management for communication networks and attached 
       devices is a subset or part of an organization's greater Energy 
       Management Policies. 
        
       Example: A set of computer systems that will poll electrical 
       meters and store the readings  

     Energy Management System (EnMS) 

       1. An Energy Management System is a combination of hardware and 
       software used to administer a network of energy consuming devices
with the primarily purpose 
       being Energy Management. 
        
       Reference: Adapted from [1037C] 
        
       Example: A single computer system that polls Energy data from
devices 
       using SNMP or any other protocol. 
        
       2. An Energy Management System (ISO-EnMS) is a set of systems or 
       procedures upon which organizations can develop and implement an 
       energy policy, set targets, action plans and take into account 
       legal requirements related to energy use.  An EnMS allows 
       organizations to improve energy performance and demonstrate 
       conformity to requirements, standards, and/or legal requirements.

       Reference: [ISO50001] 
        
       Example:  Company A defines a set of policies and procedures 
       indicating there should exist multiple computerized systems that 
       will poll energy from their meters and pricing / source data from

       their local utility. Company A specifies that their CFO should 
       collect information and summarize it quarterly to be sent to an 
       accounting firm to produce carbon accounting reporting as 
       required by their local government.  
        
       NOTE: For the purposes of EMAN, the definition from [1037C] is 
       the preferred meaning of an Energy Management System (EnMS).  The

     <parello>             Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 5] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
       definition from [ISO50001] can be referred to as ISO Energy 
       Management System (ISO-EnMS). 
        
     ISO Energy Management System 

       Energy Management System as defined by [ISO50001]  
        
       Reference: herein 
      
     Energy  

       1. That which does work or is capable of doing work. As used by 
       electric utilities, it is generally a reference to electrical 
       energy and is measured in kilo-watt hours (kWh). 
        
       Reference: [IEEE100] 
        
       2. Energy is the capacity of a system to produce external 
       activity or perform work  
        
       Reference: [ISO50001] 
        
     Power 

       The time rate at which energy is emitted, transferred, or 
       received; usually expressed in watts (or in joules per second). 
       Reference: [IEEE100] 
        
     Demand  

       The average value of power or a related quantity over a specified

       interval of time. Note: Demand is expressed in kilowatts, 
       kilovolt-amperes, kilovars, or other suitable units. 
        
       NOTE 1: typically kilowatts 

      
     <parello>             Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 6] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
       NOTE 2: Energy providers typically bill by Demand measurements as

       well as for maximum Demand per billing periods.  Power
consumption values may 
       spike during short-terms by devices, but Demand measurements 
       recognize that maximum Demand does not equal maximum Power during

       an interval. 
        
       Reference: [IEEE100] 
        
     Power Quality  

       Characteristics of the electric current, voltage and frequencies 
       at a given point in an electric power system, evaluated against a

       set of reference technical parameters. These parameters might, in

       some cases, relate to the compatibility between electricity 
       supplied in an electric power system and the loads connected to 
       that electric power system. 
        
       Reference: [IEC60050] 
        
     Electrical Equipment 

       A general term including materials, fittings, devices, 
       appliances, fixtures, apparatus, machines, etc., used as a part 
       of, or in connection with, an electric installation. 
        Reference: [IEEE100] 
      
     Non-Electrical Equipment (Mechanical Equipment) 

        A general term including materials, fittings, devices 
       appliances, fixtures, apparatus, machines, etc., used as a part 
       of, or in connection with, non-electrical power installations. 
        Reference: Adapted from [IEEE100] 

     Energy Object      

        An Energy Object (EO) is a piece of equipment an energy
consuming device whose energy usage is monitored or managed. An Energy
object can be a device in the network or a component of the device or 
attached to the network. 

that is part of or 
        attached to a communications network that is monitored, 
        controlled, or aids in the management of another device for 
        Energy Management. 

     <parello>             Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 7] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
        Reference: herein 
      
     Electrical Energy Object  

        An Electrical Energy Object (EEO) is an Energy Object that is a 
        piece of Electrical Equipment  
         
        Reference: herein, Electrical Equipment 
          
     Non-Electrical Energy Object  

        A Non-Electrical Energy Object (NEEO) an Energy Object that is a

        piece of Non-Electrical Equipment. 
         
        Reference: herein, Non-Electrical Equipment. 
         
     Energy Monitoring 

       Energy Monitoring is a part of Energy Management that deals with 
       collecting or reading Energy measurements information from Energy
Objects to aid in 
       Energy Management.   
       NOTE: This could include Energy, Power, Demand, Power Quality, 
       Context and/or Battery information. 
        
       Reference: herein 
      
     Energy Control 

       Energy Control is a part of Energy Management that deals with 
       directing influence towards power consumption savings over Energy
Objects.  
        
       NOTE: Typically in order to optimize or ensure its efficiency. 
        
        Reference: herein 
         
     Energy Management Domain 

        An Energy Management Domain is a set of Energy Objects. 
        NOTE: Typically, this set will have as members all EO's that are

        powered from the same source. 
         
        Reference: herein 

      
     <parello>             Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 8] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
        Example: All EEO's drawing power from the same distribution 
        panel with the same AC voltage within a building, or all EEO's 
        in a building for which there is one main meter, would comprise 
        an Energy Management Domain.  

     Energy Object Identification 

       Energy Object Identification is a set of attributes that enable 
       an Energy Object to be: uniquely identified among all Energy 
       Management Domains; linked to other systems; classified as to 
       type, model, and or manufacturer. 
      
       Reference: herein 
        
     Energy Object Context 

       Energy Object Context is a set of attributes that allow an Energy

       Management System to classify the use of the Energy Object within

       an organization.   
        
       NOTE: The classification could contain the use and/or the ranking

       of the Energy Object as compared to other Energy Objects in the 
       Energy Management Domain. 
        
       Reference: herein 

     Energy Object Relationships 

        Energy Objects may have functional relationships to each other 
        within an Energy Management Domain.   
         
        NOTE 1: One Energy Object will provide a capability or 
        functional value in the relationship and another will be the 
        receiver of the capability.   
         
        NOTE 2: These capabilities could include Aggregation, Metering, 
        Power Source, Proxy and Dependency.  
         
        Reference: herein 

     <parello>             Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 9] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
     Aggregation Relationship 

       An Energy Object may aggregate the Energy Management information 
       of one or more Energy Objects and is referred to as an 
       Aggregation Relationship.   
        
       NOTE 1: An Energy Object may be aggregated by another Energy 
       Object(s).   
        
       NOTE 2: Aggregate values may be obtained by reading values from 
       multiple Energy Objects and producing a single value of more 
       significant meaning such as average, count, maximum, median, 
       minimum, mode and most commonly sum.  
        
       Reference: Adapted from [SQL] 
         
     Metering Relationship 

        An Energy Object may measure the Energy of another Energy 
        Object(s) and is referred to as a Metering Relationship.   
         
        NOTE: An Energy Object may be metered by another Energy 
        Object(s).   
         
        Reference: herein 
         
        Example: a PoE port on a switch measures the Power it provides 
        to the connected Energy Object. 

     Power Source Relationship 

        An Energy Object may be the source of or distributor of power to

        another Energy Object(s) and is referred to as a Power Source 
        Relationship.   
         
        NOTE: An Energy Object may be powered by another Energy 
        Object(s).   
      
        Reference: herein 
         
        Example: a PDU provides power for a connected host. 

      
     <parello>            Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 10] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
     Proxy Relationship 

        An Energy Object that provides Energy Management capabilities on

        behalf of another Energy Object so that is appears to be Energy 
        Aware is referred to a Proxy Relationship.   
         
        NOTE: An Energy Object may be proxied by another Energy 
        Object(s).  
         
        Reference: herein 
         
        Example: a protocol gateways device for Building Management 
        Systems (BMS) with subtended devices. 
         
     Dependency Relationship 

        An Energy Object may be a component of or rely completely upon 
        another Energy Object to operate and is referred to as a 
        Dependency Relationship.  An Energy Object may be dependent on 
        another Energy Object(s).   
         
        Reference: herein 
         
        Example: A Switch chassis with multiple line cards. 
         
     Energy Object Parent 

        An Energy Object Parent is an Energy Object that provides one or

        more of the Energy Object Relationships capabilities. 
         
        Reference: herein 
         
     Energy Object Child 

        An Energy Object Child is an Energy Object that has at least one

        Energy Object Relationship capability provided by another Energy

        Object.  
          
        Reference: herein 
      
     Power State 

        A Power State is a generalized way to classify a setting on an 
        Energy Object (e.g., on, off, or sleep).   

     <parello>            Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 11] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
        NOTE: A Power State can be viewed as one method for Energy 
        Control 
         
        Reference: herein 
         
     Manufacturer Power State 

        A Manufacturer Power State is a device-specific way to classify 
        a setting implemented on an Energy Object. 
         
        Reference: herein   
         
     Power State Set 

        A collection of Power States that comprise one named or logical 
        grouping of control is a Power State Set.   
         
        Reference: herein 
         
        Example: The states {on, off, and sleep} as defined in 
        [IEEE1621], or the 16 power states as defined by the [DMTF] can 
        be considered two different Power State Sets. 

     Nameplate Power 

        The Nameplate Power is the maximal (nominal) Power that a device

        can support.  
         
        NOTE: This is typically determined via load testing and is 
        specified by the manufacturer as the maximum value required for 
        operating the device.  This is sometimes referred to as the 
        worst-case Power.  The actual or average Power may be lower.  
        The Nameplate Power is typically used for provisioning and 
        capacity planning. 
         
        Reference: herein 

     3. Security Considerations 

        None 

      
     <parello>            Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 12] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
     4. IANA Considerations 

        None 

     5. Acknowledgments  

        The author would like to thank the authors of the current 
        working group drafts for the discussions and definition 
        clarifications 
      
     6. References 

     Normative References 

     Informative References 

        [IEEE100] "The Authoritative Dictionary of IEEE Standards Terms"

        http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=4116
                785 
         
        [IEEE1621]  "Standard for User Interface Elements in Power 
                Control of Electronic Devices Employed in 
                Office/Consumer Environments", IEEE 1621, December 
                2004. 
         
        [IEC60050] International Electrotechnical Vocabulary  
                http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/welcome?openfo
                rm 
         
        [ISO50001] "ISO 50001:2011 Energy management systems - 
                Requirements with guidance for use", 
                http://www.iso.org/  
         
        [DMTF] "Power State Management Profile DMTF  DSP1027  Version 
                2.0"  December 2009 
                http://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/docu
                ments/DSP1027_2.0.0.pdf 
         
        [TMN] "TMN Management Functions : Performance Management", ITU-T

                M.3400  
         
        [NMF] "Network Management Fundamentals", Alexander Clemm, ISBN: 
                1-58720-137-2, 2007 

      
     <parello>            Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 13] 
         
     Internet-Draft     <draft-parello-eman-definitions> September 2011 
      
        [ITU-T-M-3400] TMN recommandation on Management Functions 
                (M.3400), 1997 

        [1037C] US Department of Commerce, Federal Standard 1037C, 
                http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/fs-1037c.htm 
         
        [SQL] ISO/IEC 9075(1-4,9-11,13,14):2008 
      
     Authors' Addresses 
       
      John Parello 
      Cisco Systems, Inc. 
      3550 Cisco Way  
      San Jose, California 95134  
      US 
      
      Phone: +1 408 525 2339 
      Email: [email-masked] 

      
     <parello>            Expires April 26, 2012              [Page 14]