Subject: [eman] Comments on battery-mib-04

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:34:47 -0800

This draft seems in good shape and very close to being done.

While likely quite rare, I do think that the battery temperature
could fall below zero C in some applications.  So, I think that
the temperature should be able to be negative, or instead use
Kelvin.  Either would seem to work fine, since presentation to
users would likely be C in either case.

Do we have guidance on how a device would be queried
about battery information?  That is, is there a way to know
that an entity being reported on is a battery, or does the
querying device simply ask for battery information for all
entities and then see which ones actually have data.
Or should there be a classification of component/entity
types, one type of which would be battery?

For the Introduction, a device may want to go on battery even
when grid power is available, as when it is too expensive
or scarce.  This is a minor point but I think worth dropping
in somewhere.

Also in the Introduction, I think good to clarify that a device
may implement all three MIBs for a battery, or any subset
of them (assuming this is correct).  That is, one could implement
the battery MIB but not the others (unless required to get the index?).
It would also be good to note that a UPS could implement
both the UPS and battery MIBs usefully.

Finally, could the battery MIB be implemented without
any of the other EMAN MIBs - not even one for the entire
device?  Whatever the answer is, this should be noted somewhere.

Update dates/years.

Finally, perhaps add an open issue to revisit terminology
once we are sure that it has stabilized for the other drafts.

Thank you all,

--Bruce (as contributor)

-- 
*Bruce Nordman*
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman
[email-masked]
510-486-7089
m: 510-501-7943