Subject: [eman] Converging the Reference Model into the Framework

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 00:24:21 -0800

Over the last year, the distance between the Reference Model and the
corresponding
parts of the Framework has been reduced.  Further progress in this
direction seems
desirable and I think could arrive at a point of general consensus.

One suggestion was to merge Section 2 of the Reference Model into the
Framework
as explanatory material.  This section only describes the problems at hand,
not the
solutions, so that doing this would seem to be easy.

A second possibility is to merge the energy object and interface concepts.
In the Framework, everything is an energy object, but in the Reference
Model,
there are devices, components, and interfaces with distinct properties.
We could use the unified energy object frame while still recognizing some
distinct characteristics (only devices have interfaces, components do not
have interfaces, and interfaces consume no power themselves).  This could
accomplish the goal of both approaches.

The above would not resolve all differences, but it might well be most of
them.  I think that a draft which implemented the above, when read by us
all, would be compelling in being a step forward or not (I think it would be
a step forward).

Comments?

--Bruce (as contributor)

-- 
*Bruce Nordman*
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman
[email-masked]
510-486-7089
m: 510-501-7943

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:54:26 -0600

Bruce,

I thought Section 1.2 of requirements draft
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eman-requirements-05

lists the important considerations for Energy Management   and based on
those considerations some requirements have been specified.  

Not sure if a similar set of considerations need to be replicated in
Framework draft. 

Thanks

Mouli

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Bruce Nordman
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:54 PM
To: eman mailing list
Subject: [eman] Converging the Reference Model into the Framework

One suggestion was to merge Section 2 of the Reference Model into the
Framework
as explanatory material.  This section only describes the problems at
hand, not the
solutions, so that doing this would seem to be easy.
Comments?

--Bruce (as contributor)

-- 
Bruce Nordman