Subject: [eman] New Draft draft-parello-eman-definitions-04.txt

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 13:04:19 -0800

HI,

I've updated the draft. I sent a few previous emails on specific points.
In general.

1) As per consensus at IETF-82, picked one definition per term. Any
other definitions form other standards I placed in the notes as
reference.

2) Put in power state definition. Went with modified IEEE and put the
wording from the list in the notes.

3) Made a more concise parent/child definition form feedback

4) other minor edits from review.

Thanks everyone!

Jp

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:44:20 +0100

Hi John,

> other definitions form other standards I placed in the notes as
Does it make sense to have the second definitions as a note?
As a reader, I'm asking myself:
     - why do we have a second definition?
     - how is the second different?
     - etc...

I could make sense to give a second reference, part of an explanation in 
one of the draft.
However, I think it's confusing to have a second definition in the note?

Regards, Benoit (as a contributor)
> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman
>
>

---

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 08:42:16 -0800

Hi Benoit,

I wasn't intending the note to be a second definition. I'm just siting
multiple references in the notes that lead to the single definition
selection. 

IMO this helps to clarify when a term is overloaded in other standards
etc and indicate how we picked the single definition. For example Energy
Management System (EnMS) has an alternate meanings in ISO or other
standards.  So the reader of this draft could be familiar with a term
from another standard and want to know how this compares to the way the
term is used in EMAN. I don't want to lose information or a reference by
cherry picking a term.

I would envision an author of a spec to just use the definition from my
draft and need not include the Notes. The notes, examples etc are for
use to make sense of the terms.

As a formatting example see any  Wiki or printed-pedia entry. There is a
definition or explanation then a list of notes and references. If you
site the definition you don't include the notes from the entry.

Jp

-----Original Message-----
From: Benoit Claise (bclaise) 
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:44 AM
To: John Parello (jparello)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [eman] New Draft draft-parello-eman-definitions-04.txt

Hi John,