Subject: [eman] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eman-requirements-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 07:32:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Energy Management Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Requirements for Energy Management
	Author(s)       : Juergen Quittek
                          Mouli Chandramouli
                          Rolf Winter
                          Thomas Dietz
                          Benoit Claise
	Filename        : draft-ietf-eman-requirements-09.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2012-10-05

Abstract:
   This document defines requirements for standards specifications for
   energy management.  The requirements defined in this document concern
   monitoring functions as well as control functions.  In detail, the
   focus of the requirements is on the following features:
   identification of energy-managed devices and their components,
   monitoring of their Power State, power inlets, power outlets, actual
   power, power properties, received energy, provided energy, and
   contained batteries.  Further requirements are included to enable
   control of their power supply and Power State.  This document does
   not specify the features that must be implemented by compliant
   implementations but rather features that must be supported by
   standards for energy management.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eman-requirements

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eman-requirements-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-eman-requirements-09

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 15:50:42 +0000

Dear all,

The new version of the requirements draft addresses a few issues that have
been discussed on the mailing list recently:

  - We reduced the number of basic power states from four to three, see
section 3.1
  - We replaced the requirement for "average and maximum" power per power
state
    By just the "typical" power per power state, see requirement 5.4.6
    Note that this issue is still being argued about on the mailing list.
    An alternative under discussion is "typical and maximum" power.
  - We added requirement 5.7.2 on supporting alternative time interval
types.
  - We removed Appendix B on existing standards of other bodies. This topic
    Will be covered by the applicability draft.

Please send your comments.

>From the authors point of view the document is mature enough for starting
Working group last call.

Thanks,
    Juergen

On 05.10.12 16:32, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>eman mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 13:37:24 -0400

Hi,

About power consumption in a given power state:

FWIW, in the IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group's
Imaging System Power MIB [1], we have a table
called :powSupportTable with basic characteristics
for each power state (either of the whole system or
a power managed component of the system).

There we have the "inactive", "active", and "maximum"
power usage for the entity.

The terms "inactive" versus "active" distinguish between idle
(doing no work) versus processing (printing, moving paper,
etc.) power usage in the given power state (we use DMTF
states).

The term "maximum" is especially relevant to the whole system,
where a number of components may all be active.  All of the
reported values are as determined by the manufacturer - that is,
they are NOT based on actual power usage meters.

Cheers,
- Ira (editor of PWG Power MIB)

[1] PWG Imaging System Power MIB v1.0
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-wimspowermib10-20110214-5106.5.pdf
- terms, requirements, conformance
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-wimspowermib10-20110214-5106.5.mib
- ASN.1 source of MIB

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto:[email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434
Temporary Cabin *** 2012 only *** 906-494-2523

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 06:09:54 +0000

Hello,

As now, some of the requirements are phrased for "entire" entity. 

5.3.1. Real power 

   The standard must provide means for reporting the real power for each
   Power Interface as well as for an entire entity.  

5.3.5. Actual voltage and current

   The standard must provide means for reporting the actual voltage and
   actual current for each power interface as well as for an entire
   entity.  

If there are implementations, where  power, voltage, current and energy measurements are collected for every entPhysicalIndex (device and its subcomponents), is that implementation compliant with the EMAN requirements 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 ? 

Please advice.  

Thanks
Mouli