Subject: [eman] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 04:29:53 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Energy Management Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Entity MIB (Version 4)
	Author(s)       : Andy Bierman
                          Dan Romascanu
                          Juergen Quittek
                          Mouli Chandramouli
	Filename        : draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis-02.txt
	Pages           : 69
	Date            : 2012-10-05

Abstract:
This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for
use with network management protocols in the Internet community.  In
particular, it describes managed objects used for managing multiple
logical and physical entities managed by a single SNMP agent. This
document specifies version of the Entity MIB, which obsoletes version 3
[RFC4133].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 11:33:57 +0000

Hello all, 

The draft has been updated with  2 TCs - PhysicalUUID and PhysicalUUIDorZero.  

The TCs are left in the draft and shall go the WG consensus on this. 

Thanks
Andy, Dan, Juergen and Mouli 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 5:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [eman] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis-02.txt

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 13:46:37 +0200

> The TCs are left in the draft and shall go the WG consensus on this. 

Once again, I strongly suggest to create generic UUID TC definitions
and I strongly suggest to move them into a separate MIB module.

 PhysicalUUID ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    DISPLAY-HINT    "4x-2x-2x-1x1x-6x"
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION
            "This object contains additional identification information
            about the physical entity.  The object contains a Universal
            Unique Identifier, the syntax of this object must conform to
            RFC 4122, section 4.1."
        SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (16))

It is wrong to write "this objects" in a TC definition.

PhysicalUUIDorZero ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    DISPLAY-HINT    "4x-2x-2x-1x1x-6x"
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION
            "This object contains additional identification information
            about the physical entity.  The object contains a Universal
            Unique Identifier, the syntax of this object must conform to
            RFC 4122, section 4.1.

            If no additional identification information is known
            about the physical entity or supported, the object is not
            instantiated.  A zero length octet string may also be
            returned in this case."
        SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (0|16))

It is not appropriate to talk about object instantiation in a TC
definition.  Furthermore, leaving it open whether a zero-length string
is returned or the object does not exist is not really helping
interoperability and it is inconsistent with other objects of the
ENTITY-MIB.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 18:41:02 +0200

Hi Juergen,

There are two issues here: 

- create a separate MIB module for the two TCs - this is just a
technical problem, I disagree with you on the need, but it's simple to
do this if this will be the WG consensus

- generic TCs: 

What about the following changes in the DESCRIPTION clauses: 

OLD:
    DESCRIPTION

NEW:

    DESCRIPTION
            "Universal Unique Identifier information. The syntax must 
            conform to RFC 4122, section 4.1."

and 

OLD: 

DESCRIPTION

NEW: 

DESCRIPTION
            " Universal Unique Identifier information. The syntax must 
            conform to RFC 4122, section 4.1.

            A zero length octet string is returned if no UUID 
            information is known."

Maybe we can also drop Physical from the TC name. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
> Juergen Schoenwaelder
> Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 1:47 PM
> To: Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [eman] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis-02.txt
> 
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 11:33:57AM +0000, Mouli Chandramouli
(moulchan)
> wrote:
and
> I strongly suggest to move them into a separate MIB module.
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:46:07 +0200

> do this if this will be the WG consensus

ack, we disagree here

>             conform to RFC 4122, section 4.1."

yep, much better 
 
>             A zero length octet string is returned if no UUID 

I prefer a phrasing that is more liberal about the semantics of the zero-length
string value and closer to other similar TCs (including PhysicalIndexOrZero):

    DESCRIPTION

	    The semantics of the value zero-length OCTET STRING are
            object-specific and must therefore be defined as part of
            the description of any object that uses this syntax."

> Maybe we can also drop Physical from the TC name. 

Yes and putting it into a separate small MIB module like we have the
URI-TC-MIB, the IPV6-FLOW-LABEL-MIB, the VPN-TC-STD-MIB, ... would be
even better. ;-)

/js

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 12:05:11 +0200

Makes sense. I will make the changes, probably, by tomorrow (it's a
holiday here in Israel today). 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-
> university.de]
> Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 11:46 AM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> Cc: Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan); [email-masked]
> >             Unique Identifier, the syntax of this object must
conform
> to
> >             Unique Identifier, the syntax of this object must
conform
> to
> I prefer a phrasing that is more liberal about the semantics of the
> zero-length string value and closer to other similar TCs (including
> PhysicalIndexOrZero):
> 
>     DESCRIPTION