Subject: Re: [eman] #6: States and ASHRAE Curtailment levels

From: "eman issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:07:49 -0000

#6: States and ASHRAE Curtailment levels

Comment (by bclaise@…):

 - power states different than curtailment level (% of max)
 - must have the power states (on/off/pause),
   and maybe curtailment levels (spectrum of the control)
 - curtailment levels defined in ASHRAE
 - curtailment levels could span multiple power states
 - Question: are there more power state in ACPI than the 3 power states?
   Juergen: G states are power states, not curtailment levels
   John: yes, we can. We could have registry of curtailment levels matching
 ACPI.
 - Do we want to have a single registry or two different registries?
   John: want to have a single registry
   Juergen: some devices are fine with just 3 power states
   Bruce: a single registry with a flag (power state or curtailment level)?
   John: will be confusing
 - Juergen: different concepts

 - Consensus?
    power states are more important.
    we want a single registry of power states and not two different ones
    Open Issue: do we want to flag the power state that are more
 curtailment level?
                what is the semantic of power state?

 Next Steps: all of us WRITE the power states and how they interact with
 curtailment levels.

-- 
--------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  n.brownlee@…  |       Owner:  jparello
     Type:  defect        |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major         |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  framework     |     Version:  1.0
 Severity:  -             |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                |
--------------------------+-------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/eman/trac/ticket/6#comment:1>
eman <http://tools.ietf.org/eman/>

---

From: "eman issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 23:56:59 -0000

Comment (by jparello@…):

 Proposed Text:

 6.5. Power States

 An Energy Object can be controlled by setting it to a specific Power
 State.  An Object implements a set of Power States

 consiting of at least two states, an on state and an off state.

 A Power State is an interface by which an Energy Object can be controlled.
 Each Energy Object should indicate the set of

 Power States that it implements.  Well known Power States / Sets should be
 registered with IANA.

 When a device is set to a particular Power State, it may be busy. The
 device will set the desired Power State and then update the actual Power
 State when it changes.  There are then two types of Power State control
 variables: actual and desired.

 There are many existing standards for and implementations of Power States.
 An Energy Object can support a mixed set of Power States defined in
 different standards. A basic example is given by the three Power States
 defined in IEEE1621  [IEEE1621]: on, off, and sleep. The DMTF [DMTF], ACPI
 [ACPI], and PWG [PWG] define larger numbers of Power States.

 The semantics of a power state is specified by
   a) the functionality provided by an Energy Object in this state,
   b) a limitation of the power that an Energy Object uses in this state,
   c) a combination of a) and b)

 The semantics of a Power State should be clearly defined. Limitation
 (curtailment) of the power used by an Energy Object in a state can be
 specified by
    - an absolute power value
    - a percentage value of power relative to the energy object's nameplate
 power
    - an indication of used power relative to another power state -  for
 example by stating used power in state A is less than in state B.

 For supporting Power State management it is useful to provide statistics
 on Power States including the time an Energy Object spent in a certain
 Power State and/or the number of times an Energy Object entered a power
 state.

 Power states should be registered at IANA with a name and a number. When
 requesting an Energy object to enter a Power State an indication of its
 name or its number can be used. Optionally an absolute or percentage of
 Nameplate Power can be provided to allow the Energy Object to transition
 to a nearest or equivalent Power State.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/eman/trac/ticket/6#comment:2>
eman <http://tools.ietf.org/eman/>

---

From: "eman issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:27:55 -0000

Comment (by jparello@…):

 need text to describe curtailment. (JQ)

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/eman/trac/ticket/6#comment:3>
eman <http://tools.ietf.org/eman/>

---

From: "eman issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:01:25 -0000

Changes (by n.brownlee@…):

 * owner:  jparello => quittek@…

 Reporter:  n.brownlee@…  |       Owner:  quittek@…

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/eman/trac/ticket/6#comment:4>
eman <http://tools.ietf.org/eman/>