Subject: [eman] draft-ietf-eman-framework-07 consensus needed

From: Brian Hedstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:21:46 +0000

EMAN WG,
As I presented yesterday during the EMAN meeting, I would like to obtain consensus on the following item:
- Information Model will be developed using UML modeling language and included in the draft (Appendix) as XMI interchange format (XML text). See attached for the current model.
- Information Model will be architected in a protocol agnostic approach (e.g., data model independent)

Thanks,
Brian Hedstrom
Senior Architect, Business & Operational Support Systems
CableLabs, Inc.
858 Coal Creek Circle
Louisville, CO 80027
Direct: 303.661.3829
eFax: 303.664.8120
Google+: brian.hedstrom
Skype IM: brian.hedstrom
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 16:29:44 +0100

> - Information Model will be developed using UML modeling language and included in the draft (Appendix) as XMI interchange format (XML text). See attached for the current model.

You likely have to base64 encode the XML to make it fit into RFC
format and then I would like to know how many pages this fills and
which tools I can use to load the XML representation to do something
meaningful with it.

> - Information Model will be architected in a protocol agnostic approach (e.g., data model independent)

Within the IETF, we always assume that an Information Model is
protocol agnostic. See RFC 3444 for our understanding of the terms
Information Model and Data Model.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Brian Hedstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:46:15 +0000

base64 encoding does not make sense to me, here are the statistics, it
makes the file larger:
bhedstrmbp15:Documents bhedstrom$ wc EnergyManagementXMI.xml
    2393    6722  208722 EnergyManagementXMI.xml
bhedstrmbp15:Documents bhedstrom$ wc UML-Model_Encoded.txt
       0       1  281488 UML-Model_Encoded.txt
bhedstrmbp15:Documents bhedstrom$ file EnergyManagementXMI.xml
EnergyManagementXMI.xml: XML  document text
bhedstrmbp15:Documents bhedstrom$ file UML-Model_Encoded.txt
UML-Model_Encoded.txt: ASCII text, with very long lines, with no line
terminators

Why can't the file stay in the native ASCII XML format?

Any UML Modeling tool that reads XML Metadata Interchange (XMI) will open
this file.  I use MagicDraw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Metadata_Interchange

Example Tools:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unified_Modeling_Language_tools

Thanks,
Brian Hedstrom
[email-masked]

On 3/12/13 9:29 AM, "Juergen Schoenwaelder"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> - Information Model will be developed using UML modeling language and
>>included in the draft (Appendix) as XMI interchange format (XML text).
>>See attached for the current model.
>

---

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 16:21:03 +0000

IMO ASCII is fine.

The XML should be vendor neutral. So no vendor specific tags or notations just neutral IMO. 
Jp

Sent from my iPad 
(expect ridiculous spelling mistakes) 

On Mar 12, 2013, at 11:46 AM, "Brian Hedstrom" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:08:20 +0100

> Why can't the file stay in the native ASCII XML format?

There are line length restrictions. Some of the stuff in the XML
format fails to do that. One possible fix is to base64 encode stuff -
yes this makes it even bigger but the result fits into the RFC format.
 
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unified_Modeling_Language_tools

Given my relationship to computers, I bet if I take a random tool, it
likely fails. Hence I think it will be useful if there is text saying
that someone verified that certain tools actually work (and ideally
some of the tools would be open source).

/js

---

From: Brian Hedstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:34:07 +0000

How does the line length issue get handled with the xmltorfc?  Doesn't the
same issue arise and get solved?

Thanks,

Brian Hedstrom

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:36:48 +0100

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 06:34:07PM +0000, Brian Hedstrom wrote:

> How does the line length issue get handled with the xmltorfc?
> Doesn't the same issue arise and get solved?

xml2rfc is typesetting text and there is usually sufficient white
space to break lines. The XML you did send around did have long stuff
without white space. Anyway, try it yourself, run idnits, and you will
notice what I am talking about.

/js