Subject: [eman] **DRAFT** minutes of EMAN meeting at IETF-88

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 19:34:07 +1300

Hi all:

Here are the draft minutes, please send me any corrections or comments.

Cheers, Nevil

Minutes of the EMAN meeting at IETF 88 in Vancouver

About 20 people attended the meeting + several on jabber

Scribes: Nevil Brownlee and Thomas Nadeau

WG Status
---------
- EMAN Requirements approved, published as RFC 6988.

Energy Reporting Framework -02
------------------------------
Rolf Winter presented Bruce Norman's draft.
- This draft provides a simpler view of energy management,
   it focuses on energy usage reporting.
- Joel Jaegli explained why Bruce produced this draft,
   and pointed out that comments on it are welcome on the list.

Energy Management Framework -11
-------------------------------
Presented by John Parello.
- This drafts WGLC ran from 11 to 27 September.  Response on
   the list was good, with four detailed reviews posted.
   The authors have worked through the issues raised, 66 edits
   and 29 clarifications have been made.
- Another 15 suggestions were considered and declined.
- Rolf asked about sub-meters, John explained that "a meter by
   itself can be used for billing, but a sub-meter is simply a
   device with some metering capabilities.
- ETSI approached the authors, that liaison has been helpful to
   both EMAN and ETSI.  The authors will send an email to the list
   reporting on that liaison work.  <==
- Issues
   1. Should the Framework mark sections as Mandatory or Optional?
    = Yes; Rolf will send the authors a suitable statement for this.
   2: Batteries have charging states, could they have power states
      as well?
    = They may.
   2: The information model is expressed in pseudocode, would a
      set of tables be better?
    = Include tables in an Appendix.
   3: The Security Considerations would be better if it had a list
      of "the things you need to worry about"
    = Include such a list, and a reference to the SNMPv3 RFC.
   5: Would a list of implementations be useful?
    = Include it with note to RFC Editor, "delete when RFC is
      published"
- With all the above changes, the meeting's consensus was to have
   a 2 week comment period starting tomorrow, prior to moving the
   document forward to the IESG. The period will end on Tuesday,
   November 19 at 5PM PDT. The chairs will constrain comments on
   the document to those things that have changed since the last
   revision (10), and the one statement from Rolf on optional versus
   mandatory elements.
- Issues 2 to 5 above will help to address concerns raised by
   sector reviews while the draft is in IETF Last Call.

Energy-aware- MIB -09, Power and Energy Monitoring MIB -06
----------------------------------------------------------
Presented by Benoit Claise.
= No change since last meeting

Battery MIB -09
---------------
- No slides, no presentation, but a brief discussion:
   . Rolf reported that one small change is needed, to handle
     IDs of individual cells within a battery.

Applicability Statement -04
---------------------------
Presented by Nevil Brownlee
- Could add section on use cases for the framework.

Next Steps for EMAN
-------------------
- 2-week comment period for the Framework under way, submit
   it to IESG shortly after that.
- Should the three MIBs be children of a single OID under MIB-2?
   Agreed, this is sensible.
- The chairs will start WGLCs on all three MIB drafts soon
   after the Framework is submitted.  There were no objections
   in the room.

Other Presentations
-------------------
Satoru Izumi presented the results of experiments in a University
Computer Laboratory, using this MIB (draft-suganuma-greenmib-02)
plotting power usage for devices in the lab.
- Comments/suggestion for further work are welcome on the EMAN list.

The meeting finished at 1748.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Nevil Brownlee                    Computer Science Department | ITS
  Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941             The University of Auckland
  FAX: +64 9 373 7453   Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand