Subject: [eman] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-10: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:18:59 -0700

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-10: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Stephen's comments that the security considerations are
sorely lacking. I understand his reasoning for not asking the group to
considerably more work at this point in the process. But I'd like to see
at least an explicit mention that power management as described in some
of the use cases in this draft may have significant privacy
considerations--even if that mention takes the form of "We haven't fully
analyzed privacy issues, and leave that work to a follow on effort."

If, on the other hand, people think there aren't privacy issues, I'd like
to see that assertion along with supporting arguments.