Subject: Re: [ericas] IETF Meeting in South America

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 02:18:55 -0700

Hi Humberto,
At 18:40 24-05-2013, Humberto Galiza wrote:
>In my point of view the main reason why Brazilian people (from 
>academia) don't get involved with IETF is related to the fact that 
>IETF and it's process are not evaluated in view of Brazil's academic 
>council (cnpq). Drafts, BCPs or even RFCs writings or IETF meetings 
>doesn't mean anything in the to they 'academic production'.
>
>Its like an egg-and-chicken problem: if they don't publish papers on 
>'recognized conferences' they cant earn resources ($$) to research. 
>In my opinion the fight here is: how ISOC/IETF people can help us to 
>talk with Brazilian Research Council to recognize the IETF process 
>as an academic initiative.
>
>I think that Brazillian ISOC chapter had tried to speak with 
>SBC/CNPQ before...but anyway any help would be great.

There is a message from the RFC Series Editor making RFCs more 
broadly acceptable in the academic world ( 
http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2013-May/005587.html ).

If someone comes to an IETF meeting with the objective of having 
his/her paper published on "recognized conferences" it is unlikely 
that the paper will be published as an RFC.  I won't go as far as 
saying that the IETF does not need academics.  I know a few people 
from universities who write and review drafts.  The drafts are 
usually implemented; people will use them to write code.

Stephen Farrell asked a question about Internet protocols ( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ericas/current/msg00003.html 
).  Can SBC/CNPQ help with that?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Andy Linton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 21:47:47 +1200

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM, S Moonesamy <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> In my point of view the main reason why Brazilian people (from academia)
>> don't get involved with IETF is related to the fact that IETF and it's
>> process are not evaluated in view of Brazil's academic council (cnpq).
>> Drafts, BCPs or even RFCs writings or IETF meetings doesn't mean anything in
>> the to they 'academic production'.
>>
>> 'recognized conferences' they cant earn resources ($$) to research. In my
>> opinion the fight here is: how ISOC/IETF people can help us to talk with
>> Brazilian Research Council to recognize the IETF process as an academic
>> initiative.

This is an issue in New Zealand as well. Academic funding comes from
"Performance-Based Research Fundi" (PBRF) and when we have people
talking about the "least publishable unit of research" I think it
shows up a broken system.