Subject: Re: [ericas] Starting the discussion

From: Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 22:13:38 +0530

>
> True. A chicken-and-egg problem. Thanks to ISOC, we have some participants
> from India. I am planning to get them together and create a small community
> in Bangalore (which has enough critical mass of techies related to
> Internet). Also I think people from emerging countries should help
> themselves and not wait for outside help.
>

+1

I strongly believe we have to help ourselves. I have been advocating at my
work to follow IETF mailing list, participate remotely, access old meeting
proceedings and understand IETF culture.

Take bangalore for instance, even though all major vendors have shop here,
it is sadly not reflected in IETF participation.

The long term members of the same vendor companies can help here by making
sure their colleagues from emerging regions do get involved in IETF early
on. The local managers should be made to see value in investing in IETF
participation as a long term benefit.

Dhruv