Subject: [IETF-FAX] Modified charter of Fax WG

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 06:40:31 +0900 (JST)

Dear Patrik,
Dear Ned,
Dear Colleagues of IETF Fax WG,

I am Hiroshi Tamura, a co-chair of Fax WG.

The modified charter is below. The discussion at Adelaide is reflected
in it.

With regard to milestone(target date), in fact, it may be necessary
to modify.

Regards,
--
Hiroshi Tamura, Ricoh Company, LTD.
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Internet Fax Extensions (faxext)
--------------------------------

 Chair(s):
     Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
     Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>

 Applications Area Director(s):
     Patrik Faltstrom <[email-masked]>
     Ned Freed <[email-masked]>

 Area Advisor

 Mailing lists:
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       In Body:  subscribe
     Archive:           http://www.imc.org/ietf-fax/

DESCRIPTION OF WORKING GROUP:

Previous IETF efforts developed specifications for simple and extended
Internet mail-based facsimile service profiles, tailored to interwork with
the world of T.30 facsimile.  This extension effort will take care of
differential routing between classic Internet mail and timely deliveries,
and consider with particular regard universal messaging issues and
its relation with Internet mail.

The WG will produce a final increment of specification for supporting
a "full" equivalence of T.30 service over Internet mail. Technical work
for this effort includes timely delivery, [image] feature
selection/negotiation, document privacy, and integrated
specification of Full-mode Facsimile Profile of Internet Mail (FFPIM).

For interconnecting fax services over the dial-up telephone network and
carriage of facsimile message data over the Internet, two types of interface
systems are required:

o	Internet/Dial-up Fax gateway, moving data from the Internet to 
classic or Internet-aware dial-up fax products and services

o	Dial-up/Internet Fax gateway, moving data from classic or 
Internet-aware dial-up fax products and services to the Internet

The working group will also consider the requirements for gatewaying
Internet Mail (as profiled for facsimile Simple, Extended modes and FFPIM)
with T.30 Facsimile.

The working group will specifically take note of quality of service issues
and might decide to produce an Implementer's Guide.

T.30 facsimile carries expectations of message privacy, so that FFPIM must
specify a basic facility via the Internet. Although T.30 does not provide
document integrity, users frequently believe that it does.
Consequently the Faxext working group will also seek specification of a basic
authentication facility over the Internet.

T.30 facsimile provides for receiver capability identification to the sender,
allowing a sender to provide the "best" fax image the receiver can handle.
The Faxext working group will consider mechanisms to provide similar
functionality for fax images transferred by e-mail.

Additional areas of discussion will be: Annotated fax messages and
universal messaging issues as they relate to FFPIM, as well as schema
and TIFF extensions required to support the new JBIG-2 (T.88)
compression method.

The working group will continue the excellent pattern of coordinating
activities with other facsimile-related standards bodies, in particular
the ITU, VPIM and other WGs, and with using work from related IETF efforts.

GOALS AND MILESTONES:  

Mar 2000	Working Group chartered

Mar 2000	Initial drafts for timely delivery , content negotiaton
		and FFPIM

Mar 2000	Initial draft of Implementors Guide for Simple and
		Extended mode

Jun 2000	Revised drafts for timely delivery, content negotiaton
		and FFPIM

Jun 2000	Initial drafts of TIFF-fx extensions

Jul 2000	Initial Routing considerations draft

Jul 2000	Initial draft of gateway requirements

Jul 2000	Final draft of Implementors Guide for Simple and Extended mode

Sep 2000	Initial drafts of schema for TIFF-fx extensions

Nov 2000	Final draft for timely delivery and content negotiaton.

Nov 2000	Final draft of Routing Considerations

Nov 2000	Final draft of FFPIM 

Mar 2001	Final draft of gateway requirements

Apr 2001	Final drafts of schema and TIFF-fx extensions for JBIG-2

---

From: "McIntyre, Lloyd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:03:44 -0700

Claudio and Tamura-san,
Graham and I would like to suggest a modification to the charter milestone
date for the initial schema draft (i.e. Sep 2000 changed to Nov 2000). 
We anticipate that the TIFF-FX extension associated with annotations may not
realize convergence soon enough to deliver a Schema extension draft in
September.

Regards,
Lloyd

---snip---
 GOALS AND MILESTONES:  
 
 Sep 2000	Initial drafts of schema for TIFF-FX extensions
 
change to:
 Nov 2000	Initial drafts of schema for TIFF-FX extensions

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Claudio Allocchio [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 9:35 AM
> To: COLES, RICHARD J. (JSC-EV)
> Cc: 'Hiroshi Tamura'; [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: [IETF-FAX] Modified charter of Fax WG
> 
> 
> 
> > Am I automatically subscribed, having been a member of this 
> list for about 3
> > years (mostly listening), or must we all re-subscribe to 
> the new address, as
> > inserted below?
> 
> Actually, we did not change the mailing list, thus no re-subscription 
> should be needed, at all.
> 
> Regards,
> Claudio Allocchio
> 
> PS: as Tamura-san pointed out, could the members of the WG 
> (expecially the
> editors of the various document) please check the new Milestone dates?
> Thank you!
>