Subject: PWG Qualdocs Project

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:35:08 -0700

You might be interested to know that the PWG launched a Qualdocs working group
to try to make progress on this project. This is the same body that has
delivered IPP. This has been done because the IETF has decided that it is
overlaoded at present. Although the PWG was formally chartered by the IETF to
produce the IPP standard this is not the case for Qualdocs - this is not a
formal IETF project. The PWG is an IEEE-ISTO body however and has produced many
standards

For those who have not come across the QualDocs term before it is a proposed
protocol to provide synchronous negotiated faxing on a network. This should be
very interesting to anybody involved in Internet Fax. The current idea is to use
a mix of IFAX standards and IPP as the transport.

We are having our inaugral meeting in September (see below for details).
Membership of the PWG is not required in order to attend - there is a minimal
fee for attendees to cover room and refreshment costs (~$50 a day). The PWG
genrally arranges special hotel rates for attendees. Membership does bring the
right to particpate in formal votes (which are not very frequent - the PWG
operates by consensus as much as possible). For more details check out
http://pwg.org/chair/index.html.

There is a mailing list for this project: email [email-masked] with body text
"subscribe ifx".

Meeting details:
When: September 15 all day (8.30am to 6pm) as part of the 9/11-9/15 PWG meeting
Where: Chicago - venue TBD - look at the pwg.org website. Plus notification will
be sent on the mailing list

See you there

Paul Moore
Peerless Systems Networking
PWG Qualdocs chair

FYI - here are some of the current worrking drafts.

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2542.txt

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/Internet-Drafts/draft-klyne-qualdoc-goals-02.txt

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/Internet-Drafts/draft-moore-qualdocs-protocol-00.txt

---

From: "Manros, Carl-Uno B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:04:16 -0700

Paul,

Your statement in the message below:

"Although the PWG was formally chartered by the IETF to produce the IPP
standard 
this is not the case for Qualdocs - this is not a formal IETF project."

is incorrect. It is true that much of the work on IPP has been made by PWG
members
and that the PWG has run complementary activities to support the IETF IPP
activities,
but the PWG has never had a formal role in the IETF IPP project. 

Carl-Uno Manros
Chair of the IETF IPP WG

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 10:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PWG Qualdocs Project

You might be interested to know that the PWG launched a Qualdocs working
group
to try to make progress on this project. This is the same body that has
delivered IPP. This has been done because the IETF has decided that it is
overlaoded at present. Although the PWG was formally chartered by the IETF
to
produce the IPP standard this is not the case for Qualdocs - this is not a
formal IETF project. The PWG is an IEEE-ISTO body however and has produced
many
standards

For those who have not come across the QualDocs term before it is a proposed
protocol to provide synchronous negotiated faxing on a network. This should
be
very interesting to anybody involved in Internet Fax. The current idea is to
use
a mix of IFAX standards and IPP as the transport.

We are having our inaugral meeting in September (see below for details).
Membership of the PWG is not required in order to attend - there is a
minimal
fee for attendees to cover room and refreshment costs (~$50 a day). The PWG
genrally arranges special hotel rates for attendees. Membership does bring
the
right to particpate in formal votes (which are not very frequent - the PWG
operates by consensus as much as possible). For more details check out
http://pwg.org/chair/index.html.

There is a mailing list for this project: email [email-masked] with body
text
"subscribe ifx".

Meeting details:
When: September 15 all day (8.30am to 6pm) as part of the 9/11-9/15 PWG
meeting
Where: Chicago - venue TBD - look at the pwg.org website. Plus notification
will
be sent on the mailing list

See you there

Paul Moore

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/Internet-Drafts/draft-klyne-qualdoc-goals
-02.txt

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/Internet-Drafts/draft-moore-qualdocs-prot
ocol-00.txt